skin issues

dumbo

Mar 7, 2014
guys, help me with u're second opinion. what is a hotspot ? how do i deal with it ? and what is the best way to grew the fur back ? thanks guys

Brianmays71

Mar 8, 2014
The vet told me too give mine melatonin it's over the counter and it does work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i'm not sure the cause of hotspots, but the best way to treat them is shave the area and keep it clean and dry dry dry

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Vetercyn works awesome! You can buy it anywhere but is cheapest on Amazon. Bubba had one a while back and was starting to get infected. NOTHING was working. Used Vetercyn and within a day was drying out and healing.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
They are usually caused by allergies/weaken immune system here is some info from an article here on the site:

HOT SPOTS - Hot Spots are not fun. They are painful and itchy, and they can grow and spread at a rapid rate. If you find a hot spot on your Bulldog, you MUST act as quickly as possible and try to dry it out to keep it from spreading. If you have an electric shaver, shave all the hair off the entire area until you find good skin surrounding the hot spot. The most important thing you will do after this is to wash the hot spot with Hybiclens or an antibacterial soap several times a day. This can take care of the hot spot but remember, Hot Spots itch very badly. Putting a type of self-drying steroid is the best option, so if you have any Malacetic Ultra on hand this works really well. If not, use whatever type of astringent you have on hand, including, Witch Hazel, Douxo, Malacetic Otic, Hydrogen Peroxide or even (yellow) Listerine. If the area is super itchy you may need to give some relief by putting any kind of hydrocortisone cream on it, rub it in really well so it does not keep the area moist! It is important to keep them from licking or itching the hot spot, if you must use a cone or clothing to prevent them from getting to it please do so. Recently, many have started using Vetericyn spray with success when treating Hot Spots.

Hot Spot Prior to Shaving - Fur looks very moist, and skin is red, raised and raw

Hot Spot After Shaved - As you can see the affected area was huge and was spreading

Members online

No members online now.