Bicep Tendon inflammation! Got cortisone shot and Valium pills... Question, has anyone experience with Valium?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Sooo... When Boeboe was very young she got this Tendon inflammation the first time, and after that she's had it once more. Last time she only got the cortisone shot but this time she also got Valium pills cos the vet (who is new at the hospital) felt her shoulders were very tense... I'm feeling a bit scared giving it to her:eek: if it had been our normal doctor Dave I wouldn't hesitate... I know Dr Dave consulted the new vet before our visit so I'm not sure who is behind the Valium pills. Anyway... I'm wondering if anyone has experience of giving Valium to your bulldogs? I think the name is PAX-5, it's a smallish orange pill with C33 printed on it. Thanks:)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Valium is sometimes used as a muscle relaxer
for dogs. I know with people, it affects some very strongly(used for nervousness) and others are barely affected with same dosage. I would give your dog less than what was prescribed to see how it affects her-before giving the full amount prescribed.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Sorry i have no experience with it. Just want to wish Boeboe a speedy recovery! You're in good hands Boeboe :yes:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Valium is sometimes used as a muscle relaxer
for dogs. I know with people, it affects some very strongly(used for nervousness) and others are barely affected with same dosage. I would give your dog less than what was prescribed to see how it affects her-before giving the full amount prescribed.

Thank you, that's a very good idea:) I'll give her half a pill in the morning when I can check her all day.

Sorry i have no experience with it. Just want to wish Boeboe a speedy recovery! You're in good hands Boeboe :yes:

Aww, thank you:)

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Valium metabolizes very quickly in dogs, so where a human would take 1 pill and it'd last 6-8 hours, with a dog , one would maybe last 2 hours!! Bodie has been prescribed Valium multiple times, both times he prolapsed, and once or twice for traveling ( he has really bad anxiety), with our experience, Valium doesn't work great. At least not for Bodie. They should make them more relaxed, tired, sleepy, that way they stay sleeping and aren't up and possibly over exerting themselves.

BullyLove!!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Valium metabolizes very quickly in dogs, so where a human would take 1 pill and it'd last 6-8 hours, with a dog , one would maybe last 2 hours!! Bodie has been prescribed Valium multiple times, both times he prolapsed, and once or twice for traveling ( he has really bad anxiety), with our experience, Valium doesn't work great. At least not for Bodie. They should make them more relaxed, tired, sleepy, that way they stay sleeping and aren't up and possibly over exerting themselves.

BullyLove!!!

Good information, thank you:) Boeboe is given it to relax her muscles... is there only one kind of valium or would there be different ones for muscle relaxing and anxiety you think?

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Valium is Valium! There's different milligrams and different manufacturers, so the actual pills will have a different look from other manufacturers!! Same concept as meds like Xanax. Some are prescribed for anxiety, some for help with sleeping. There are many diff meds that help with diff symptoms.

BullyLove!!!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I did like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] suggested and only gave her half a pill instead of one. I think it makes sense to start her on half and then I'll end her on a half too so she can get off it slowly, thanks Lynn:)

It's been almost two hours since she got the half Valium pill, she seems pretty normal but she sleeps very deeply and snores like a train. I don't know if it's from all the excitement and new things that happened yesterday or if it's the Valium... probably both:tongue:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7710]Petra[/MENTION] Hope BoeBoe heals quickly and feels better soon!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have NO experience Petra… just wanted to offer up prayers & support!!! ;)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION]:hug: 1/2 pill didn't seem to effect her much so tomorrow she's getting the dose prescribed:)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I did like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] suggested and only gave her half a pill instead of one. I think it makes sense to start her on half and then I'll end her on a half too so she can get off it slowly, thanks Lynn:)

It's been almost two hours since she got the half Valium pill, she seems pretty normal but she sleeps very deeply and snores like a train. I don't know if it's from all the excitement and new things that happened yesterday or if it's the Valium... probably both:tongue:

What mg is it? Vegas has 5mg tabs that he use to get twice daily for seizures. When he clusters....he gets 30mg rectally in a liquid. I wouldn't hesitate to give it to her. I often give it to Vegas when he's stressed. It's also known here as diazepam. It comes as a 2mg, 5mg and 10mg. OR injectable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have given Banks Xanax for anxiety, we are told to give her half-pill, but the half does nothing for her... the whole sends her into a sleep so I now, only when going for LONG car rides give her 3/4 of the pill.

Best of luck with your baby.... hope all goes well and she heals up quick

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
What mg is it? Vegas has 5mg tabs that he use to get twice daily for seizures. When he clusters....he gets 30mg rectally in a liquid. I wouldn't hesitate to give it to her. I often give it to Vegas when he's stressed. It's also known here as diazepam. It comes as a 2mg, 5mg and 10mg. OR injectable.

As far as I can understand this is the 5mg one... I saw there is PAX-2, PAX-5 and PAX-10 and we got the PAX-5. She walks much better this morning and I just gave her a whole tablet. She was prescribed 1 pill a day for 5 days, I hope by the end of it she'll be back to walking normal again:) It's just a bit hard to tell as she's still not walking completely normal on the back leg she had operated for Hip Dysplasia... but I can tell there is a difference already. Feeling better giving it to her knowing it helps lill Vegas:hug:

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online