Can someone clarify cherry eye for me?

mirabai

Feb 26, 2014
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Woke up this morning to discover a red swollen eye on Stella. I''ve only had her about a month and have never had a bulldog before. Although I'm going to take her to the vet within the next few days I just wanted to make sure this is in fact what's wrong and if there's anything I can do to help her in the mean time. She's about one years old.

1394228690598_zpse65378d1.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There is certainly an irritation to her third eyelid, although it does not look like the gland has popped out. So this may not be cherry eye, but some sort of swelling, irritation or infection. Does it seem to bother her? Any squinting or pawing at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mirabai

mirabai

Feb 26, 2014
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I just rinsed it out with some warm water and massaged it gently and it seemed to get a little better but still looks very red and swollen. She doesn't seem to be bothered by it however. Same energy level and no pawing at it

Dexterlicious

Sep 21, 2013
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter
Hi there, my guy dexter is almost 1 and gets cherry eye quite often. It def looks like a irritation but I don't think it's Cherri eye. Keep an eye on it, keep it clean and if it's not bothering your baby than I wouldn't worry too much even thou if your anything like me you have researched extensively and paranoid yourself out. Don't worry, might be grit or maybe not enough sleep. Either way I find this breed of dog is pretty tough and hardy. Just keep doing what your doing, lots of love and attention, washing it out with warm water. Hope everything works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hopefully it's better this morning after some sleep, how is it today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mirabai

mirabai

Feb 26, 2014
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Thanks for the advice! It looks way better today(:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad it looks better today. Sometimes when they play hard they will pop out. Sometimes you can message them back in.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, if you go to the home page, and look under the learning centre, there is a great article explaining cherry eye and how to great it. Cherry eye is common in EB's, pugs, and boxers, they have a third eyelid that protects their eyes from dust and debris. Sometimes the eye gland pops out, and it can be massaged back in, but is not always successful, it usually will pop back out, or stay out and eventually requires surgery to repair it. It can be tacked back in with stitches, or some people and vets opt to have it removed. If left out or untreated it will cause irritation to the eye due to it being exposed to air and the gland drying out, and this will also cause the gland to swell, which sometimes will cover the eye, and affect their sight. My female Blossom developed cherry eye at 5 months old, and we had it repaired at the same time as we spayed her when she was 7 months old. The vet did an excellent job repairing her eyes, and we haven't had any problems or issues since. She is now 2 years old.

Pat steer

Mar 13, 2014
Our dog has cherry eye, lucky for me when I had American clockers they had it and my vet showed me how to push it back in ,u have to do it as soon as u can its simple, see your vet and ask him to show u because it can come out any time ,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.