Giardia :(

Jassimoo

Feb 6, 2014
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stanlee
Stanlee was diagnosed with giardia last week and he has been on metronidazole for a week. His poop is still soft. Should it be firm now since he is almost done with the medication?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh man , poor fella! Giardia is bad.

Giardia can be hard to get rid of, so certainly go back for a recheck with your vet.

Have you changed food recently or changed the amount you are giving? Any new treats? Did the vet find giardia in a stool sample?

Please be aware it is contagious to humans too! So it's important to be sure he doesn't get reinfected. It is usually contracted by drinking from puddles or any standing water. Disinfect any surfaces his poo has come into contact with and no drinking from water holes or even eating snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I would give a probiotic supplement to help rebuild the good Bactria in the guy which will help get rid of the loose stool.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww I'm so sorry to hear you and Stanlee are going through this. I hope the medication works, and he feels better soon. I agree with others that he should be rechecked to make sure it's all cleared up. Sending love, hugs and prayers your way that he gets better soon. Please keep us posted.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Metronidazole kills the good and the bad bacteria which can cause loose bowels if the giardia didn't. Our vet has us use probiotics when using antibiotics. He recommends fortiflora, but there are likely other good ones available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Stanlee doing today?

Most Reactions