Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I never thought owning a Bulldog would present me with so many challenges. Maximus has skin issues that just do not stop. I'm so very frustrated at this point, because every week, there is another Skin issue somewhere on his body that is causing me stress. Now he has a red, raw, weeping area on his neck under his chin that I do not know how to treat. Do I use Bacitracin? Cortizone? Vetericyn ? I don't know how this developed or what he did to make this all of a sudden appear, but if anyone knows what I should do about this, please reply. He is also currently on an antibiotic (Cefpodoxime) so that may help with this also.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Can you post a picture? Lots of sores and inflammation on the chin and area near the chin can be caused by moisture from drinking and eating so we should dry them up after they take a slurp of water. For minor scrapes and sores we use either a chlorohexidine spray or Vetericyn depending on which one is handy at the time. Once it starts to show some signs of drying out a bit we will rub coconut oil on it as well.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Are you still feeding him raw and kibble?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hey Patrick --picture will help....

Koiku Murata

Mar 6, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelsea
I'm not saying it'll work for everyone but try "Avoderm" dog food :) that food stopped all her skin issues! To me, it's a miracle food for her skin & fur

Vanize Andrade

Sep 1, 2011
Florida
Country
Brazil
Bulldog(s) Names
Piper, Mooney, Lear Panda and Pitts
Hello!
My two females had major skin issues. When I switch them to raw.. 90% of the problems went away after 5-6 months.
I know it can be overwhelming.. Another thing that helped mine is Spring water.
Good luck!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I think it is from his neck getting wet when he drinks water out of the water bowl. I don't have a means to take a pic, but I'll work on it. I am currently using Chlorhexidine
spray on the area, and he is already on an Antibiotic, so I hope in a few weeks, the area will heal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think it is from his neck getting wet when he drinks water out of the water bowl. I don't have a means to take a pic, but I'll work on it. I am currently using Chlorhexidine
spray on the area, and he is already on an Antibiotic, so I hope in a few weeks, the area will heal.

I'm sure you are doing this, but after he is done drinking do you wipe his chin/face?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm not saying it'll work for everyone but try "Avoderm" dog food :) that food stopped all her skin issues! To me, it's a miracle food for her skin & fur

Great suggestion, I used on a rehome and it made a huge difference in skin & fur!

For everyone that has a great food going on, add a couple of thick slices avocado
a couple times wkly as food toppers (peeled & no pits) and a tsp of coconut oil on
different days to supply great fats and promote health, internally as well :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.