Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bodie started bleeding from his penis tonight...

Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

Exclamation Bodie started bleeding from his penis tonight...

Ok everyone, I need some insight, suggestions, previous experience, HELP! A little history on Bodie, at 3 months old, Bodie got a prolapsed urethra,(too hard to explain, google it!), I was told that this is very rare,(1 in every 10,000),and usually only seen in male EB's, vets don't know the exact cause or reason that it happens. They have different hypotheses, i.e. hormone related, genetics, so he had surgery where they massage the tissue back in and then stitch it. Then at 7 months old, he prolapsed again! This was 2 days after he "came into his manhood", so to say! He had huge erection, and "finished" while I was lightly rubbing his head to calm him, mostly because this was my 1st male dog and 1st, um, encounter of this nature. However, this time it was MUCH worse than the 1st, an enormous amount of blood loss, every time he would stand to move it would gush and squirt out like there was a cut vessel. Of course, just like the 1st time it happened on a Saturday! So due to the fact that the 1st time this happened we took him to an emergency vet that almost killed him and had NO clue as to what a prolapsed urethra even was. That's a whole other story for later! So finally on the following Monday I got him to a wonderful animal hospital in Wilmington, NC(Needham Animal Hospital), and he went into a much more invasive surgery the following day. This time the purple mushroom that was hanging onto the tip of his penis had to be cut off and then stitches. So, now here's my dilemma, this evening we walked in the door, he was laying on the rug at the front door, he got up and a couple mins later he was "air humping", he does tend to do this sometimes, and then he usually realizes that it's not "working", so he stops. A few mins later my hubby walks by the front door and sees blood everywhere! Sure enough it's coming from his penis! I checked him out and his penis doesn't look to be prolapsed and he's not bleeding anymore, at least not at a constant. Has anyone else had any problems with a bloody penis? Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated, even if you think it's irrelevant to Bodies story, you never know! PLEASE, any and everyone, I need insight!!! Thanks
    You'll never know true, unconditional love and loyalty until you own a Bully! A smooshy-face, full of wrinkles, slobber mouthed, stinky Bully!!!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bodie started bleeding from his penis tonight...

I have NO experience w/this, but I will tag some members who do… hopefully you will get some answers!!!

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks ddnene!!

BullyLove!!!
    You'll never know true, unconditional love and loyalty until you own a Bully! A smooshy-face, full of wrinkles, slobber mouthed, stinky Bully!!!

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Toni, Finn had a prolapsed urethra when he was around 7 months old and the vet was able to push it back in with no surgery. She recommended he get neutered which is thought to help with the prolapse happening again. He got neutered a few days later, this was back in Oct. 2011, and no prolapsed urethra until Sept. 2013 where he had blood coming out again. The vet (a different one this time as we changed hospitals), was again able to push it back in and since then no recurrence (knock on wood). Has Bodie been neutered yet? I know there are a couple members here whose bully had surgery and have been successful with it. I don't recall who though but i'm hoping they will see this thread an be able to give you some input.

Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

Hi, yes, Bodie was neutered when he prolapsed the 2nd time. We didn't want to get him neutered originally, but after the 2nd prolapse the vet thought it to be medically necessary, so we did. Plus, because they think it "could be" a genetic issue we didn't want anyone to have to go through what we had, if we had ever gotten to mate him.
    I'm actually, I won't say happy, but relieved that there are others who's bullies have had prolapsed urethras. You are the first person, in 4 years, that has had the same issue. I guess that means our bullies are EXTRA SPECIAL" and lucky they picked us for their owners!! Even though its been very stressful and expensive, I thank God everyday that Bodie came to us, because he may have been surrendered or put down by someone else who couldn't handle his issues.
    The 1st time he prolapsed, he was only 3 mos old which baffled the vets, because he wasn't even producing sperm or even thinking about humping at that time, they were able to just massage it back in, but it had to be stitched and he had to go under anesthesia. The 2nd time it was really bad, so bad that he had to go under anesthesia and the prolapse had to be taken off. We were told that because there is still lining there, that he could still prolapse again and he's been "humping" a lot more lately, i.e. the chair, tries to hump our legs every now and then but we stop that!
    So far today he's not been bleeding, fingers crossed, so I don't know what's going on. His penis has looked funny since the 2nd surgery, kinda lumpy looking and it still looks that way, not prolapsed! So, I'm just at a loss as to why he would be bleeding. I do remember last spring/summer, we were getting ready for a yard sale and moving some furniture and all of a sudden, he started bleeding, but it was just the one time, then gone. I talked to some people who said that maybe he was just stressed and that some animals have weird things like that happen,(usually around the penis/vaginal areas), when they get stressed out, but I've not confirmed that. He has been a little miserable with his itchiness,(allergies and skin issues), so maybe he's stressed out by it? I really just don't know, I'm at a loss. That's why I posted this thread to hopefully have others give me some insight/advice based on their experiences. So thanks you very much for replying! Hopefully others that u mentioned will see this and have some info too!!
    Thanks again!

BullyLove!!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I tagged Roe....Brutus had the do e
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@BodiesMom, I'm glad to hear that Bodie isn't bleeding right now. You are definitely not alone at all in this. I worry often about Finn too especially when he "air humps"; i find myself glancing down at his penis every so often to make sure there's no blood coming from there. Another member Roe did have the surgery done on her bully and i'm sure she will give you some of her experiences in this. Meanwhile, give Bodie a big hug and kiss from us!!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

So sorry you're going through this with Bodie, I don't have any experience with this problem, but I just wanted to send you and Bodie love, hugs and prayers.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

Thanks y'all for all the love and support!
    Bodie hasn't bled since the other night, so maybe he was just a little stressed out, fingers crossed.

BullyLove!!!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

I'm glad Bodie is feeling better. I hope it doesn't come back.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

Me too!! Fingers and toes crossed on that one!!!!

BullyLove!!!

Country
    Usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Champ
    Likes (Received)

How did they push it in? no surgery was needed. My dog has same issue, dont no what to do. My vet never seen it before but is willing to do the surgery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads