Help Needed! Bodie started bleeding from his penis tonight...

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Ok everyone, I need some insight, suggestions, previous experience, HELP! A little history on Bodie, at 3 months old, Bodie got a prolapsed urethra,(too hard to explain, google it!), I was told that this is very rare,(1 in every 10,000),and usually only seen in male EB's, vets don't know the exact cause or reason that it happens. They have different hypotheses, i.e. hormone related, genetics, so he had surgery where they massage the tissue back in and then stitch it. Then at 7 months old, he prolapsed again! This was 2 days after he "came into his manhood", so to say! He had huge erection, and "finished" while I was lightly rubbing his head to calm him, mostly because this was my 1st male dog and 1st, um, encounter of this nature. However, this time it was MUCH worse than the 1st, an enormous amount of blood loss, every time he would stand to move it would gush and squirt out like there was a cut vessel. Of course, just like the 1st time it happened on a Saturday! So due to the fact that the 1st time this happened we took him to an emergency vet that almost killed him and had NO clue as to what a prolapsed urethra even was. That's a whole other story for later! So finally on the following Monday I got him to a wonderful animal hospital in Wilmington, NC(Needham Animal Hospital), and he went into a much more invasive surgery the following day. This time the purple mushroom that was hanging onto the tip of his penis had to be cut off and then stitches. So, now here's my dilemma, this evening we walked in the door, he was laying on the rug at the front door, he got up and a couple mins later he was "air humping", he does tend to do this sometimes, and then he usually realizes that it's not "working", so he stops. A few mins later my hubby walks by the front door and sees blood everywhere! Sure enough it's coming from his penis! I checked him out and his penis doesn't look to be prolapsed and he's not bleeding anymore, at least not at a constant. Has anyone else had any problems with a bloody penis? Any kind of info would be greatly appreciated, even if you think it's irrelevant to Bodies story, you never know! PLEASE, any and everyone, I need insight!!! Thanks

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have NO experience w/this, but I will tag some members who do… hopefully you will get some answers!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Toni, Finn had a prolapsed urethra when he was around 7 months old and the vet was able to push it back in with no surgery. She recommended he get neutered which is thought to help with the prolapse happening again. He got neutered a few days later, this was back in Oct. 2011, and no prolapsed urethra until Sept. 2013 where he had blood coming out again. The vet (a different one this time as we changed hospitals), was again able to push it back in and since then no recurrence (knock on wood). Has Bodie been neutered yet? I know there are a couple members here whose bully had surgery and have been successful with it. I don't recall who though but i'm hoping they will see this thread an be able to give you some input.

OP
BodiesMom

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Hi, yes, Bodie was neutered when he prolapsed the 2nd time. We didn't want to get him neutered originally, but after the 2nd prolapse the vet thought it to be medically necessary, so we did. Plus, because they think it "could be" a genetic issue we didn't want anyone to have to go through what we had, if we had ever gotten to mate him.
I'm actually, I won't say happy, but relieved that there are others who's bullies have had prolapsed urethras. You are the first person, in 4 years, that has had the same issue. I guess that means our bullies are EXTRA SPECIAL" and lucky they picked us for their owners!! Even though its been very stressful and expensive, I thank God everyday that Bodie came to us, because he may have been surrendered or put down by someone else who couldn't handle his issues.
The 1st time he prolapsed, he was only 3 mos old which baffled the vets, because he wasn't even producing sperm or even thinking about humping at that time, they were able to just massage it back in, but it had to be stitched and he had to go under anesthesia. The 2nd time it was really bad, so bad that he had to go under anesthesia and the prolapse had to be taken off. We were told that because there is still lining there, that he could still prolapse again and he's been "humping" a lot more lately, i.e. the chair, tries to hump our legs every now and then but we stop that!
So far today he's not been bleeding, fingers crossed, so I don't know what's going on. His penis has looked funny since the 2nd surgery, kinda lumpy looking and it still looks that way, not prolapsed! So, I'm just at a loss as to why he would be bleeding. I do remember last spring/summer, we were getting ready for a yard sale and moving some furniture and all of a sudden, he started bleeding, but it was just the one time, then gone. I talked to some people who said that maybe he was just stressed and that some animals have weird things like that happen,(usually around the penis/vaginal areas), when they get stressed out, but I've not confirmed that. He has been a little miserable with his itchiness,(allergies and skin issues), so maybe he's stressed out by it? I really just don't know, I'm at a loss. That's why I posted this thread to hopefully have others give me some insight/advice based on their experiences. So thanks you very much for replying! Hopefully others that u mentioned will see this and have some info too!!
Thanks again!

BullyLove!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged Roe....Brutus had the do e

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=11156]BodiesMom[/MENTION], I'm glad to hear that Bodie isn't bleeding right now. You are definitely not alone at all in this. I worry often about Finn too especially when he "air humps"; i find myself glancing down at his penis every so often to make sure there's no blood coming from there. Another member Roe did have the surgery done on her bully and i'm sure she will give you some of her experiences in this. Meanwhile, give Bodie a big hug and kiss from us!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

So sorry you're going through this with Bodie, I don't have any experience with this problem, but I just wanted to send you and Bodie love, hugs and prayers.

OP
BodiesMom

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Thanks y'all for all the love and support!
Bodie hasn't bled since the other night, so maybe he was just a little stressed out, fingers crossed.

BullyLove!!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm glad Bodie is feeling better. I hope it doesn't come back.

OP
BodiesMom

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Me too!! Fingers and toes crossed on that one!!!!

BullyLove!!!

Champ

Jan 11, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ
How did they push it in? no surgery was needed. My dog has same issue, dont no what to do. My vet never seen it before but is willing to do the surgery.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
How did they push it in? no surgery was needed. My dog has same issue, dont no what to do. My vet never seen it before but is willing to do the surgery.

Prolapsed urethra does not always require surgery. Is Champ neutered? bulldogs who are not neutered have more incidents of prolapse. Talk to a vet who has had experience w/prolapsed urethras in bulldogs. If your vet hasn't much exper. in this area I would seek a 2nd opionion. The surgery is very delicate b/c the urethra is a highly vascularized area so you want someone who really knows what he/she is doing.

Wesco

Jan 22, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wesco
Hello. I wanted to reply to this thread to let you know that I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH because I've had my fill of dealing with a prolapsed urethra. So here is a very lengthy response....I apologize ahead of time.

My 4 year old Bully, Wesco is currently going through his THIRD surgery for a prolapsed urethra. We have an amazing vet here in California who actually works with SoCal Bulldog Rescue so he is very well versed in all things Bulldogs. First prolapse, we neutered him and had minor surgery. About a year later, he prolapsed again and bled heavily. The vet decided to amputate the existing prolapsed tissue and utilized what's called a purse-string procedure to pull the urethra back into the penis (where it's supposed to be) and secure it using a pull stitch type of technique through the shaft of the penis. Please don't quote my non-clinical terminology. I'm just trying to put it in normal terms as I understood them. This seemed to be successful. I do want to note however that the first few days after surgery were a nightmare. Wesco is a very active Bully and even with sedation meds, he wanted to be up and about. This was causing him to bleed from the sutures. And by bleed, I mean like a sprinkler system every time he go up. Two things were happening...while he slept, the blood would clot. When he got up, the dried blood on his bed/towel/blanket would stick and something similar to ripping of a scab would happen and cause fresh bleeding. Second, this was causing him to not be able to clot fully for the wound to heal. Therefore, we opted to keep him at the vet for a few days so that he could be minimally sedated and confined and just rest. It broke my heart to do that, because of course I just wanted my baby home, but it was best for him to rest and heal. The vet said that due to the sensitive and soft tissue in that area, sutures don't hold as well and therefore don't heal as quickly.

Then less than a year after, I noticed the visual prolapsed urethra again. We took Wesco to another well known vet here in California for a second opinion and he said that if he's not bleeding, don't touch it. Recurrence of this condition is not uncommon in Bullies due to the heavier abdominal pressure from their labored breathing and the fact that they have heavier tummies. He did tell us to always monitor his peeing (flow, straining to go, blood in urine, etc). As long as he was peeing normally then there's no reason to "mess with it".

Wesco from time to time had very very light spots of blood on his bed after a long night of sleeping and that's normal. Last night, Wesco started bleeding A LOT. My kitchen looked like a crime scene. So my husband took Wesco to the vet and he is having surgery today. We're not sure what they will do this time or if this will be the last, but I wanted to share our experiences with you all who may or may not have a clue what's going on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online