Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bodie started bleeding from his penis tonight...

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bodie started bleeding from his penis tonight...

@BodiesMom @cali baker question above
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    How did they push it in? no surgery was needed. My dog has same issue, dont no what to do. My vet never seen it before but is willing to do the surgery.
    Prolapsed urethra does not always require surgery. Is Champ neutered? bulldogs who are not neutered have more incidents of prolapse. Talk to a vet who has had experience w/prolapsed urethras in bulldogs. If your vet hasn't much exper. in this area I would seek a 2nd opionion. The surgery is very delicate b/c the urethra is a highly vascularized area so you want someone who really knows what he/she is doing.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wesco
    Likes (Received)

Hello. I wanted to reply to this thread to let you know that I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH because I've had my fill of dealing with a prolapsed urethra. So here is a very lengthy response....I apologize ahead of time.

My 4 year old Bully, Wesco is currently going through his THIRD surgery for a prolapsed urethra. We have an amazing vet here in California who actually works with SoCal Bulldog Rescue so he is very well versed in all things Bulldogs. First prolapse, we neutered him and had minor surgery. About a year later, he prolapsed again and bled heavily. The vet decided to amputate the existing prolapsed tissue and utilized what's called a purse-string procedure to pull the urethra back into the penis (where it's supposed to be) and secure it using a pull stitch type of technique through the shaft of the penis. Please don't quote my non-clinical terminology. I'm just trying to put it in normal terms as I understood them. This seemed to be successful. I do want to note however that the first few days after surgery were a nightmare. Wesco is a very active Bully and even with sedation meds, he wanted to be up and about. This was causing him to bleed from the sutures. And by bleed, I mean like a sprinkler system every time he go up. Two things were happening...while he slept, the blood would clot. When he got up, the dried blood on his bed/towel/blanket would stick and something similar to ripping of a scab would happen and cause fresh bleeding. Second, this was causing him to not be able to clot fully for the wound to heal. Therefore, we opted to keep him at the vet for a few days so that he could be minimally sedated and confined and just rest. It broke my heart to do that, because of course I just wanted my baby home, but it was best for him to rest and heal. The vet said that due to the sensitive and soft tissue in that area, sutures don't hold as well and therefore don't heal as quickly.

Then less than a year after, I noticed the visual prolapsed urethra again. We took Wesco to another well known vet here in California for a second opinion and he said that if he's not bleeding, don't touch it. Recurrence of this condition is not uncommon in Bullies due to the heavier abdominal pressure from their labored breathing and the fact that they have heavier tummies. He did tell us to always monitor his peeing (flow, straining to go, blood in urine, etc). As long as he was peeing normally then there's no reason to "mess with it".

Wesco from time to time had very very light spots of blood on his bed after a long night of sleeping and that's normal. Last night, Wesco started bleeding A LOT. My kitchen looked like a crime scene. So my husband took Wesco to the vet and he is having surgery today. We're not sure what they will do this time or if this will be the last, but I wanted to share our experiences with you all who may or may not have a clue what's going on.

Real Name
    Toni
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bodie
    Likes (Received)

Oh wow! Sorry, I got a new phone and wasn't getting my notifications, so I just saw your post...I know that Bodie's first surgery was just a minimal surgery also, they massaged the prolapsed tissue back in and stitched it, then the second surgery, 4 months later, was much more invasive, he too was bleeding heavily, almost like there was a blood vessel squirting it out everywhere. So, the cut the prolapsed tissue off completely and put in a couple stitches, but after both of his surgeries, there was no more bleeding, I mean the days following the surgery. He has started to bleed on a couple different occasions since his last surgery, when he was only 7 months old, also neutered at that time, but they've not been full prolapses and the bleeding is only one or two instances in a couple days span. So, vet didn't want to do surgery since it wasn't bad. Neither did we! Bodie will stress out sometimes and it always leads to bleeding. Idk why he stresses out, he just does...
    Thank you for all the info and support. This condition is fairly rare, supposedly only seen in male EB's, and it's 1 in every 10,000, so us lucky people who pick the "special" bullies need to help each other out!!!!
    You'll never know true, unconditional love and loyalty until you own a Bully! A smooshy-face, full of wrinkles, slobber mouthed, stinky Bully!!!

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Susan Moore
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Elmo
    Likes (Received)

Thank Goodness Bodie is ok, God Bless this Sweetie Always

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

So Sorry for you both. Sounds really like a nightmare. My boy has had stones and a few operation in that area, so I know bleeding from penis...
    btw prolapsed urethra can occur in other dog breeds as well, and cats.

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Louis
    Likes (Received)

My son's dog Louie has had the same issue over and over again. He's taken him to numerous vets and the top veterinary college in Michigan and they have no idea how to fix it. Good luck with Bodie and hopefully we'll get an answer sooner than later.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads