Need Help ASAP, Sick puppy!!

KyliesDaddy

Mar 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
We purchased a english bulldog puppy for our daughter last month, and 2 or 3 days ago he started walking non stop in the living room, He keeps the same lil trail and walks/ paces back and fourth. Took him to the vet, they think he had a seizure or ate something. There's nothing he could of ate, and not sure how to help the little guy :( He eats and drinks but he goes back to the walking non stop. When we hold him still he whines till we let him go and he starts pacing faster.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm sorry to hear he's not feeling well:( How's his poop? and how old is he? Could he have eaten something that could cause an obstruction?

And what food is he on? Sounds like he would have tummy pain... or he could maybe have separation anxiety... how long have you had him now?

Last edited:
OP
K

KyliesDaddy

Mar 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
His poop and pee are fine. He is about 18 weeks old. We are pretty sure he hasn't eaten anything but his dog food.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Could he have separation anxiety? If he poops and pees normally it shouldn't be an obstruction at least... but maybe he's sensitive to his food? Does he always pace or is it in connection with eating?

The rest of America will probably wake up soon so they can give you advice:)

OP
K

KyliesDaddy

Mar 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
He paces back and forth,he'll stop to eat but then start back again.An when you try to pet him to get him to stop it's like he wants to stop for you ,but he can't he just has to keep pacing.

OP
K

KyliesDaddy

Mar 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
He is on iams smart puppy,that's what he was on when we got him,we've had him for about 3 1/2 weeks.What could cause him to have separation anxiety? Could he be missing his old home?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Mm, ja it shouldn't be the food then if he's been on it all along and been fine... and you've had him for a while so if he had anxiety about leaving his mother and siblings it should have come earlier I think... Dogs usually pace if they're in discomfort or restless but he's a puppy so it doesn't make sense for him to be restless like that as there are no hormones or anything that will bother him yet. Has anything changed since he started to pace? Anything at all, like new treats, or new schedules for the people in the household? But it does sound like discomfort of some kind... he can't have hurt a muscle or something when playing? I had a bulldog once that started pacing and it turned out he had injured a muscle... he didn't limp or anything just pace around and didn't want to lay down.

I don't know about the seizure option... feels like he should have calmed his brain down by now if it was something like that. I'm gonna tag [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION], she knows things like that:)

OP
K

KyliesDaddy

Mar 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
no nothing has changed since he started pacing,he'll even bump into stuff like he didn't even see it, he's knocked his food and water bowls over a bunch of times.When you try to pet him it seems like he wants to bite he'll open his mouth but he don't..he really don't play rough so i don't think he could of got hurt but it's possible..At times he paces faster but then other just paces like he has been.I think i'm going to take him to our regular vet today.We had took him to the one closes to us yesterday because it had been icing but i think we are going to take him to the other to see what he thinks.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
If he were mine I would request bloodwork and X-ray's be done just to be safe. I think I would also take him to a specialty hospital that has a board certified internal medicine doctor and a neurologist on staff. It can be costly but so worth it. I really hope and pray it's nothing to serious and that you get an answer quick!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
This really sounds neurological! I would bring him back to the vet, with video in hand, and if he ( or she ) doesn't act, I would get another opinion. How about the breeder you purchased her from- she may have some answers and recommendations. Good luck. This just does not sound normal at all.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Mary's suggestion of going to the vet, and was also going to suggest taking a video of the pacing to show the vet the behaviour. It could be separation anxiety, or something neurological.

What Would Make a Dog Keep Pacing?
by Naomi Millburn, Demand Media
Dog Care » Behavior » What Would Make a Dog Keep Pacing?

"I get upset when I think that you're about to leave."

Pacing in human beings can point to many different things, from excitement to impatience. Pacing in the doggie world is similarly diverse; it can indicate everything from the urge to mate to the frustration of separation anxiety. Do not ignore pacing in your pooch. She might just need your help.

Separation Anxiety

If your dog starts pacing every time she picks up on even the smallest hint that you could be leaving the home, whether for a short or long period of time, separation anxiety might be at fault. If being on her own makes your dog feel unsettled, frightened and out of her element, you might notice everything from antsy pacing back and forth to whimpering every time you take your cellphone, wallet and keys off the kitchen counter. Separation anxiety also frequently causes dogs to behave in destructive manners -- think house soiling and chewing.

Hyperactive Dog

Hyperactivity could also be the reason behind your doggie's constant pacing. If your pet's energy reserves are a tad on the excessive side, this could be her issue. Many potentially things can lead to hyperactivity in dogs, from the anxiety of household tension to the desire for your acknowledgement and attention. Apart from pacing, you also might notice other telling behaviors, including seemingly nonstop running around, inordinate barking and chewing on practically anything in sight.

Older Age

Frequent pacing in a dog could also signify the aging process. Elderly dogs often develop cognitive issues that cause them to feel disoriented and confused, whether due to memory problems or difficulties in seeing and hearing. If your dog paces a lot and seems to have no apparent destination or point to her actions, then it's time to take a closer look at the situation. Along with the pacing, you might see other hints of problems, such as antisocial behavior, quivering, zero reaction to her name and excessive daytime sleeping.

Compulsion

Pacing can also be a sign of compulsion in dogs, similarly to spinning around, barking all day and going after shadows on the wall. Many experiences can bring out compulsive patterns in canines, including insufficient interaction with doggie peers during the puppy stage, bullying from fellow household dogs, serious past neglect and trauma and frequent isolation and lack of attention from human beings.

Mating Urges

In dogs of both sexes, nonstop pacing can be a sign of hormonal behaviors and the strong drive to find a partner and mate. Unfixed male dogs often exhibit intensely restless behavior, such as pacing and attempts to run away from the house. Unfixed female dogs also frequently display these types of antsy actions when in their heat cycles. Spaying and neutering procedures, however, often can help with these behaviors.

Veterinary Assistance

Pacing in dogs can be caused by a number of different things, some of which are medical. Vision problems in senior pooches can lead to pacing, as can dietary imbalances in super-hyper pets, for example. Because of these possibilities, a thorough veterinary examination is a must -- as soon as possible. Some pacing behaviors also may require the skills of certified canine behavioral experts, as well. Severe separation anxiety and compulsions, for instance, may call for professional help.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I agree with the others and would go to the vet as soon as possible. i wonder if it is possible that he could have Hydrocephalus as it can be present at birth or acquired?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know what could be wrong as most common things seems to be kind of ruled out:( Since the first vet didn't really do anything about it I'd also go somewhere else... Poor baby, he's so young still. If he bumps in to stuff and acts like he don't see things it's probably not just a tummy pain or anxiety... I hope the next vet visit will tell you more about what's going on. Please let us know, and hugs to you and Dozer:assurred:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree with the others and would go to the vet as soon as possible. i wonder if it is possible that he could have Hydrocephalus as it can be present at birth or acquired?

You hit the nail on the head w/this one Todd...

This is exactly how Wellie started acting when we found out that he had hydrocephalus. Pacing, barking wildly and running into things…

You need to have your puppy seen by a vet and I do agree 100% this is neurological. He COULD have hydrocephalus, or the beginning stages of it… My baby Wellie had a SEVERE case of it, and it came on suddenly. I would keep him in a playpen so that he wouldn't hurt himself. If you want more information you can PM me!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Totally neurological! He can't stop because his brain is too active. Vegas does this after a grand mal seizure. Paces and walks into stuff.... almost blind like.

*Blah blah blah iPhone blah blah blah*

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online