Spaying while in heat?

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
So I have had my rescue for about a week and half. The vet estimates she's between 2 and 3 years old. She was very skinny and suffering from a lot of skin and eye issues. The vet gave her the all clear on blood tests and prescribed 8 days of antibiotics to clear up her skin, eye and respiratory infections. I have her on a raw diet and I'm pretty sure we are experiencing a yeast die off now - dealing with excessive paw licking and yeasty ears but she's looking better every day, her fur is already growing and she's gaining. She's a champion napper, pretty much her day is watching me make her food, eating her food then napping in the living room until dinner time. I'm hoping she'll get more energy as she gains weight and recovers from whatever happened to her.

I am pretty sure she came into heat 3 days ago - her genitals are enlarged and she's started bleeding little droplets of blood. I am not sure what to do, my plan was to get her weight up, house-train her and deal with the yeast, then spay her when she was in top health. Her getting pregnant is not a concern - she inside all the time except when I take her outside to do her business so she is always supervised. Is it safe to get her spayed while she is in heat? Considering her state of health should I stick to plan and wait?

Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would wait about two months after her heat cycle. it's not that good for them to get spayed on their heat cycle, and most vet charge extra for it too. Get some diapers for her to wear in the house so it won't make that much of a mess. Bless you for rescuing her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great update on your new girl,,,,, pictures, please. :D

i do not think any vet would spay during heat. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]. [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would definitely wait until she becomes healthier and builds up some stamina before you have her spayed. Spaying while in heat there is much more bleeding, They give extra meds to control bleeding and charge more money for the procedure. I think you should stick to your plan of building her up first. As you stated, she is supervised at all times-so no worries. You are a good mom to rescue her. :yes:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with everyone's advice to wait for 2 or 3 months after her heat cycle. My vet also recommends this, and will not do a spay surgery during a heat cycle, she told me if Blossom went into heat before her surgery, then we would have to wait 2 or 3 months before she would do the surgery. We had her spayed at 7 months of age before she went into her first heat.

Can You Spay A Dog or Cat In Heat (Estrus)?
By Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM

Question: Can You Spay A Dog or Cat In Heat (Estrus)?

A viewer asked: "Can a female dog in heat be spayed?"

Answer: Technically the answer is yes, a dog or cat in heat (also known as estrus) can be spayed. Your results may vary though, as many vets prefer to wait until the heat cycle is over. The size, age and overall health of the pet are considered as well. If the spay is done while the animal is in heat, the costs are usually a little higher.

Spaying While In Heat

During a heat cycle, the blood vessels that supply the ovaries and uterus are engorged. Additionally these tissues are more "friable" (may tear more easily than normal) and bleed more. Even tissue not associated with the reproductive organs - skin, fat, muscle - often seep more than normal during surgery.

This often makes a typically elective surgery more stressful than it needs to be, and carries additional risk of bleeding problems during the surgery or post-operatively. Some veterinarians will not spay a pet in heat and recommend that surgery be scheduled a week or two after the cycle ends.

Sometimes the answer is "maybe." Sometimes veterinarians are selective about the type of pet that they will spay while in heat. Generally speaking: Cat in-heat spays are easier than dog in-heat spays. Small dogs are easier than large dogs. Overweight pets are difficult to spay both in heat and not in heat. Anesthesia is riskier too. One more reason to make sure your pet is not overweight.

Additional Costs When Spaying a Pet in Heat

If a pet is spayed while in heat, the surgery takes a little longer and additional surgical supplies such as gauze sponges and suture may be needed. Fluids during surgery are standard for many practices and are built in to the surgery cost. For some practices, this may be an additional cost for an in-heat spay. (IV fluids during surgery always a good idea in my opinion.)

Planning Ahead

Dogs and cat are typically spayed at six months of age. If spayed before the first heat cycle (which happens around 6 months), the chances of mammary cancer are greatly reduced (96%). Spaying at any age eliminates the chance of ovarian and uterine cancers, as they are removed during a typical spay. Some animals, especially those at shelters, are spayed and neutered at much younger ages.

The "best" age to spay and neuter is a topic of much debate. Speak to your veterinarian about your specific pet (dog, cat, breed, etc.) for advice on age to spay. Most people will agree that it is best to avoid spaying when in heat if possible.

Sometimes an appointment is made in advance or an animal is found, rescued, etc. and the estrus status is not known when the surgery is scheduled. If this is the case, speak to your veterinarian about possible risks and added costs of spaying while in heat.

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
OK thank you. I'll get her some diapers and wait it out. Do they have personality changes while in heat?

Daisy_2014-02-18.jpg
Daisy on her first night.
Daisy_2014-02-21.jpg
About a week ago

Daisy_2014-03-02.jpg
Morning face yesterday. Freakin' adorable.

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Aaaah! She just started scooting her hiney across the rug. Is this a sign maybe it isn't heat and a vaginal infection instead? Would a vaginal infection also cause the swelling and drops of blood? She isn't urinating any more frequently than before. She goes 2-3 times a day.

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Also she doesn't lick that area, at all. I have only seen her lick her legs. Maybe she can't reach? She had just come in from peeing outside and I had wiped her with a baby wipe - sensitive skin wipes from Target. Could that have irritated her skin? She's stopped scooting and is sleeping now.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Scooting the Hiney is usually a sign that their anal glands are bothering them, sometimes by scooting the anal glands can be emptied on their own. Being in heat doesn't usually cause scooting, at least I've never heard of this.

What are the signs my dog is in heat
Symptoms can vary from dog to dog but generally look out for:

* Swelling of the vulva. This can vary greatly. Some females swell a lot and others hardly at all

* Bleeding from the genital area

* Increased Urination

* Change in personality

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
She's seems to be specifically dragging her vaginal area, her anus isn't contacting the carpet. Her rear end smells like fresh blood - coppery, no foul smell and the skin of her anus doesn't show any signs of irritation or swelling. Her vaginal area on the other hand is quite swollen and now very irritated looking from scooting it on the floor.
I washed the area in case she was being irritated by the wipes and she seems to be settling down.

I'm going to call the vet in the morning if she's still scooting tomorrow.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.