Infected anal glands and colitis flair up means POO everywhere

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My poor girl... she is having one very, very bad week.

It all started Monday night (Tuesday morning) at around 1:30AM, as she was very restless in bed. I said to Lewis, I smell anal gland, I think she has to go out... he tells me no. About 15-20 mins later, the smell is so strong I get up and take her out anyway -- she :poo: big time. Go back in and the bedroom has a strong odor, so I turn on the light.... some stains on the comforter.

I am having a VERY busy week at work, so Lewis has been getting home first, he gets home and poor girl is trapped in her crate that is full of :poo: as is she. Wednesday night we go through pretty much the same issue, but she can not hold her :poo: at all... dripping, running out of her.. mucus and oatmeal like consistency. Lewis stays home and takes her to see our vet Thursday morning and he says it is infected anal glands .... :ponder: Thursday night is a repeat of Wednesday night, but not as bad.

Friday we both go to work, I already know I have a 16+ hour day ahead of me and Lewis knows he will be getting home first. We left her in the living room with everything sheet covered. Well, from what he told me the sight was beyond nasty... Banks got a bath, he got a bath and when I got home the living got a full scrub down.

I stopped to day to get her diapers, they fit, but as you guessed do not stay on, but they will do for bed time. her poor bum is so red and sore, my heart is breaking for her.

I think her colitis is totally kicking in and she is not well at all.... Cheli will not even look at her and stay in a different room. This makes me more concerned, he keeps his back to her, which as you may know, is a sign of respecting the other dog and giving them their space. Last time Banks colitis kicked in this bad, our sweet Nitschke passed the following week..so it has been over 2 years since she was this bad.

Her :poo: is an orange color and oatmeal like.... Joe put her on a strong antibiotic and I am giving her the Tylan powder too.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what you think?? Of course, prayers ...PLEASE!!

some pictures of her week---

Banks sick again 007.jpgBanks sick again 008.jpgBanks sick again 014.jpgBanks sick again 015.jpg

Banks sick again 010.jpgBanks sick again 011.jpgBanks sick again 012.jpgBanks sick again 013.jpg

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor baby girl and you. Wow, nothing worse than having a sick bully. I hope she gets better soon. Sending hugs your way.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Poor baby. I am no help but I hope she feels better soon. I had a ridgback that had to be on Tylan powder many years ago due to explosive non stop poo. It was not fun at all.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Christine, I'm so so sorry… poor baby!!! :( I wish I had some advice to give you, but I don't… does something trigger this for her? Stress? I know you have been working a lot… and I'm sure being stuck inside w/the crappy weather isn't helping either. Sending you LOTS of prayers & hugs!!! Please keep us posted on Banks!!! :hug2: :heart:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Ohhhh Christine I am so sorry to hear about Banks, Her little butt looks so sore!! I don't have any advice, but my prayers for you and Banks. :pray:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm so sorry that Banks is not well. I feel so bad for her and her poor red bum :( I was wondering the same as Tracey, if some sort of stressor may have set off this colitis episode. Also, is she on some maintenance med for the colitis? I'm not familiar w/colitis and dogs but colitis itself is a very miserable health problem. I wish I could say something helpful but i got nothing. Hoping someone will come along with similar experience. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for Banks and for a healthy outcome to all this.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
awww poor Banks! I am so sorry she is not feeling well. :(

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Poor girl... bum rashes hurt!
Will she let you touch her butt at all? If so, can you put some Desitin on it?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm so sorry that Banks is not well. I feel so bad for her and her poor red bum :( I was wondering the same as Tracey, if some sort of stressor may have set off this colitis episode. Also, is she on some maintenance med for the colitis? I'm not familiar w/colitis and dogs but colitis itself is a very miserable health problem. I wish I could say something helpful but i got nothing. Hoping someone will come along with similar experience. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for Banks and for a healthy outcome to all this.

yes, it is normally stress related, but nothing i can think of should be bothering her. Only thing comes to mind asnd i think Tracey stated it --- all this freakin snow, she can not be outside as much as she likes to be. it is so icy they can barely walk in the yard and now we are going to be getting another foot tomorrow into Monday.

Poor girl... bum rashes hurt!
Will she let you touch her butt at all? If so, can you put some Desitin on it?

Yes, that is what I am putting on it along with an antibiotic powder the vet gave us. her bum is SO RAW it almost looks like blood. i just sent the pic in a text to our vet... she what he says. my poor bitchy girl is not doing good

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
yes, it is normally stress related, but nothing i can think of should be bothering her. Only thing comes to mind asnd i think Tracey stated it --- all this freakin snow, she can not be outside as much as she likes to be. it is so icy they can barely walk in the yard and now we are going to be getting another foot tomorrow into Monday.

Yes, that is what I am putting on it along with an antibiotic powder the vet gave us. her bum is SO RAW it almost looks like blood. i just sent the pic in a text to our vet... she what he says. my poor bitchy girl is not doing good

OMG poooor Banks!!! I hope you can get her poo firm again, and fast!!!!

After yunas obstruction this is exactly what her little bottom looked like, but also sooooo swollen it was sagging!

Due to the laxatives we gave her trying to get her to poop prior to the surgery is what caused the acidic poo.

I tried everything, but in the end what worked best was straight gold bond powder after each of the several antibacterial soap washes a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh dang Christine, that looks painful. Poor Banks. I haven't dealt with an anal gland infection. There's some stuff on it in the article I did though, just can't recall what it says at the moment. The snow could be causing the stress too. Sally refuses to go do her business in the backyard if it's snowing so I have to take her out to the front yard and she goes right away. I don't know what the reasoning is but she does get stressed when it's snowing. Hope Banks' bum gets better soon.

Oh, did the vet say anything about her gland rupturing? Or is that even an issue right now?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, did the vet say anything about her gland rupturing? Or is that even an issue right now?

yes, he told us if it is not better after a week on the antibiotic, he wants he back in to inject antibiotic directly into the glands as he said they could potentially rupture! :faint:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh poor little Bank's hiney-so sore. It looks like a baboon's butt. I had a dog years ago, whose anal glands were infected-I didn't know until it abcessed and she had two A holes, poor thing. But, she didn't have colitis, luckily, and was given antibiotics. Have you tried Monkey Butt? It is good for sore hineys. Praying that your poor baby starts to feel better VERY soon.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh poor little Bank's hiney-so sore. It looks like a baboon's butt. I had a dog years ago, whose anal glands were infected-I didn't know until it abcessed and she had two A holes, poor thing. But, she didn't have colitis, luckily, and was given antibiotics. Have you tried Monkey Butt? It is good for sore hineys. Praying that your poor baby starts to feel better VERY soon.

Monkey Butt... never heard of it?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Monkey Butt is a paste and a powder that was originally sold for those who do alot of horseback riding and get sore.They usually have it in Tractor Suppply or horse supply. There is also a paste for babies that is very good, called Boudroux's (sp) butt paste, which is also good for sore butts.I have seen that in Walmart. they work.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online