Bald spots on Emmitts sides

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hey y'all it's been a while since I've been on here. I had a question to see if anyone knows what this could be. Emmitt has bald spots on both sides of him and it doesn't look like demodex as he had that when he was younger and the spots are almost equal on both sides and I know demodex couldn't be like this. I thought maybe it's alopecia (spelling?) but his skin isn't black. Or maybe it's the weather and that's why this is happening... Anyways he has a vet appointment next wk and it doesn't bother him at all... He doesn't itch or anything it's just weird I've never seen anything like this and wanted to see if anyone knew what it could be so I would know in advance and take all suggestions to him... Thanks in advance!
ejuhabe4.jpg
ruma3a6y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Looks like seasonal alopecia to me.

MarleneK

Dec 21, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dually
Looks like "Seasonal Flank Alopecia" to me as well. The reason it's not black underneath but pinky white is because Emmitt is white haired just like our Dually. We went through this last year for the first time and the hair grew back a few months later :).

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like "Seasonal Flank Alopecia" to me as well. The reason it's not black underneath but pinky white is because Emmitt is white haired just like our Dually. We went through this last year for the first time and the hair grew back a few months later :).

Great info, if it is SFA, melatonin is supposed to work wonders, and some natural sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Hmmmm... Petunia has flank alopecia since she was 2 yrs old...her skin DID turn black and has remained. I would try the melatonin and see what happens especially since his skin is NOT black.

Good luck!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i dont think its alopecia because it's not black, i read up on the possible causes since Lola had the same type of hair loss, and even our vet said allergies. I would take the food down to one protein source and give it a try for a few weeks. You may not be able to get the hair to grow back but you will notice if it stops spreading

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone else… it looks like SFA to me. Bella would get this, and it would go away. Hers always came when the weather would change, and her nose would get runny.

rlogan87

Jun 25, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
yoshi
What did the vet say? My bully has very similar spots of hair loss. we have done, impression test, scrape test, and blood test, alopecia is the only thing we haven't ruled out.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Likely An allergy if skin isn't black, alopecia if skin turns black

sent from my droid mini

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hey y'all it's been a while since I've been on here. I had a question to see if anyone knows what this could be. Emmitt has bald spots on both sides of him and it doesn't look like demodex as he had that when he was younger and the spots are almost equal on both sides and I know demodex couldn't be like this. I thought maybe it's alopecia (spelling?) but his skin isn't black. Or maybe it's the weather and that's why this is happening... Anyways he has a vet appointment next wk and it doesn't bother him at all... He doesn't itch or anything it's just weird I've never seen anything like this and wanted to see if anyone knew what it could be so I would know in advance and take all suggestions to him... Thanks in advance!
ejuhabe4.jpg
ruma3a6y.jpg

Any news on Emmitt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikesbandit

Feb 21, 2014
ejuhabe4.jpg
ruma3a6y.jpg

My first bully had the same thing - diagnosed as seasonal flank alopecia. Changed his diet and it went away (along with his tear stains as well)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online