Vaginal Discharge

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
My 17 week old female Bulldog puppy has had a vaginal discharge since we got her at 8 weeks old. Her vet did a urinalysis and said everything is fine as far as that is concerned. She said that "puppy vaginitis" is normal and that there is nothing to worry about. So that's all fine and dandy but this discharge builds up large dark green clumps in her hair in that area. The only way to get the clumps to come off short of giving her a bath is to soak it with a warm wet cloth, which takes forever and she does not enjoy it at all. It wouldn't be a big deal but this discharge is constant and really should be cleaned off daily.

I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and at what age I can expect it to stop.

Also, does this affect when she should be spayed? The following blurb was found on this web page: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/a/CW-PuppyVaginitis.htm

Experts are divided on the question of whether to spay pups with puppy vaginitis before their first heat cycle or let them go through a heat cycle -- this is a question you should discuss with your vet.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My last pup had a light yellow discharge. .My vet said that is nothing to worry about. She is 9 months now, has not been spayed yet(will be) and she "outgrew it". It does not sound right to me that the discharge is green.The green color does not sound normal to me-but maybe someone else here can offer better advice.The amount sounds a little excessive. I would want a swab taken and have it checked out.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My last pup had a light yellow discharge. .My vet said that is nothing to worry about. She is 9 months now, has not been spayed yet(will be) and she "outgrew it". It does not sound right to me that the discharge is green.The green color does not sound normal to me-but maybe someone else here can offer better advice.The amount sounds a little excessive. I would want a swab taken and have it checked out.

Green sounds like some sort of infection, and if it is as bad as you are describing, maybe a second opinion is needed. Doing a round of antibiotics could not hurt, to see if it improves.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree the green discharge is an infection of some sort. I would get a second opinion.

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Actually the discharge is kind of a yellowish color. But once it starts to build up on her hair and dries it is dark colored. Green may not have been the right description.

Two different vets where I take her have both said that it is just vaginitis and are not concerned with it.

I'll try to take a picture and post it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I would say it's normal- I struggled with uti with duchess for like 4 months when she was that age. My vet say vaginitis is very common in young bulldogs .

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
if it is yellow, then yes it is sort of normal, happens to Banks occasionally

bionicrocky

Feb 11, 2014
Portlandia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Veronica Underfoot Mars Gregory (Ronnie)
Hello Dear Bulldog Friends! Miss Veronica Underfoot Mars Gregory has had a sticky tummy from discharge that gets messy since she was about 6 weeks. It's now a bit brown/reddish. Should we be alarmed?

AC2115

Apr 1, 2014
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxie
Roxie is almost 3 months and I notice some yellow discharge yesterday too. Glad to hear its normal!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello Dear Bulldog Friends! Miss Veronica Underfoot Mars Gregory has had a sticky tummy from discharge that gets messy since she was about 6 weeks. It's now a bit brown/reddish. Should we be alarmed?

I would take her to the vet if it's not yellow, let us know what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.