scratching

kenilworth king

Feb 26, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
archie
Hello everyone! I just joined this forum and this is my first post so please be patient. I have a quick question. I have a 7 month old bulldog and for the last month he's been really scratching at his cheeks a lot to the point of bleeding a little bit and scabbing over. I took him to the vet and he did test for mites and found none. He told me it was pyoderma and gave him a shot to relieve it. That lasted for a couple of weeks but now he is back at it. He doesn't itch constantly or even often, he can go hours without scratching but all of a sudden he will start and we have to make him stop. Just wondering if this is common and if anyone has any suggestions? Thank you

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
It could be food or environmental allergies. What food are you feeding him? Has anything changed in your home recently like detergents, cleaners etc..? In the cheek/chin area it could also be chin acne that is bothering him.

OP
K

kenilworth king

Feb 26, 2014
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
archie
It could be food or environmental allergies. What food are you feeding him? Has anything changed in your home recently like detergents, cleaners etc..? In the cheek/chin area it could also be chin acne that is bothering him.

I'm feeding him performatrin ultra grain free. Nothing has changed in the house. Its more the cheek around closer to his ears and in the folds on one side of his face. I wash his folds with a warm cloth once or twice a day and dry them.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola's allergies present as itchiness attacks, i found that a few weeks on a steriod/antiinflammatory helped her. But eventually (steriods are not long term answers) itchiness came back. And its like your dog's not all the time, but we have to stop her when it happens. and it usually happens in the middle of the night or right before bed. Lola would end up with scratches under her arms and in her ears. I know it can be really frustrating.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online