Help Needed! Arthritis getting worse PLease help with some suggestions. Doggy wheelchair??

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
Hi all, my poor Butters is a mess lately between his eye and his arthritis i am hurting for him. :((( He currently takes Previcox 227 half tab daily, the tablet of glucose a mix of mustard seed and turmeric spice per someones here recommendation along with a fish oil pill popped open in the food. I have seen no improvements in him, he is getting worse. They keep saying for him to loose weight but he cant walk to loose weight. I cut out treats and all that other goodies. I am not thinking of a doggy wheelchair, I looked them up and WOW they are expensive! Has anyone ever tried one?? Or does anyone have one for sale?? Thanks guys xoxoxo

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there --- my girl suffers from severe arthritis in her spine.... we take her for laser therapy once a month which helps keep the spine 'loose' and lessent the pressure. We also have her on a neurilogical drug, which may or may not work for your baby --- Gabapetin, which stops the receptors from telling her she is in pain. She knows her limits, but she can walk, play, run, do steps etc.

As for weight control, we use green beans as a filler. So, if we need her to lose a few pounds, we cut her kibble to 3/4 cup and make the rest 1/4 cup frozen green beans. We have to keep Banks at or below 60 lbs, so once I know she is over, I do this for a week and she is back where she needs to be. Usually have to do it maybe once a year or so.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
You recived great advice -all i want to add is you have to adjust his food to what he does daily if he doesn't exercise amount should be lower than a "standard dog that moves about" -to maintain weight -when on diet again like [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] said use "fillers" and lower food intake again

Have you thought about hydrotherapy ? -it will not only help exercise wise but also do a lot of good for the joints

You do need to get him 'skinny'-lean is lots better than even slightly overweight, obviously. This bit is hard as you have to ration him to reflect his exercise and calorie requirement: it seems really horrible to do but is of course the best thing for his joints. Careful exercise will build the muscles and strengthen the tendons surrounding the joint.

OP
N

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
Thank you so much, Butters loves the green beans too! I did not think to do that. I tried the laser therapy for a bit but at 30 a pop it got so expensive on top of everything else :(( But they wanted him to go 3 times a week for a while and then taper to two. Maybe I will go back and ask if he can do just the one time. I have heard of that drug for humans but not for dogs thats crazy I will have to look into that. Thank you <3

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My Punkin also goes for laser therapy as well. I remember at first, the regimen was for him to go once a week for 6 weeks I think. After it was once every couple of months.

You can also get a wagon instead of a stroller. I know some use the foldable kinds.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe I'm so sorry to hear Butters is in pain. You may want to add glucosamine to the daily supplements, or something similar with it in it, to help lubricate the joints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

Neesy33

Feb 17, 2013
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Butters
I know I thought about the wagon but I would rather him get use of his legs :( Desertsky I give him the cosequin (spelling?) tablets 2 times a day. I really want to get him moving, hoping for warmer weather here soon to get him out and about somehow.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.