Help Needed! 10 week OLD severe Diahrea giardia/coccidia??

PRtypeR

Feb 24, 2014
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugen
I recieve my English bulldog from [Breeder link removed] on the 9th of this month.. the same day he had a vet appointment for his checkup and VERY loose stool. He was stool tested and came out positive for Giardia and round worm..which they said was common in puppys who where shipped in planes. so i used prescribed medication to no avail..took him back to the Vets and he was then diagnosed with coccidia.. i overnighted the medication from DR smith and fosters and already have been using it for 4 days..i smash it up and mix it with peanut butter and he eats it all up. but i also read u should see results withing 48 hours and its been 4 days with no signs of improvement.. any help would be greatly appreciated! there is no vomit or blood in his stool he is still gaining weight and growing as he should and very hydrated. :(

154des0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Aww what a lovely bully xx as hes so young i would make another vet appointment just to be on a safe side -puppies can go from good to worse quickly
Im sorry i have no experience with this
But in uk we are advised to worm puppies regularly untill they are 3 months old then every 3 months
I hope he feels better soon xx

Ps i didnt know in us you can buy a dog and get it shipped -without breeder meeting you face to face -to make sure you will be a good owner xx

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Winston got Giardia he was VERY ill, we thought he might have parvo… we took him to the vet daily for IV fluids because he had watery bloody diarrhea and vomiting. If it was my call I would take him to the vets immediately… these guys can dehydrate quickly!!! Please keep us posted...

Yezid Acosta

Feb 24, 2014
I would recommend taking him to the vet, just in case its something serious, he might have eaten something toxic...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sorry to hear of your problems. Poor baby!

My advice. Continue to keep up on the medicine, and go for a recheck of his stool in a week.

Sounds like he's eating and drinking good, is that right? Try reducing his food amount by a little bit, if you are giving 1.5 cups a day, go down to 1 and 1/4 cup. Many times runny stool is due to too much food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
Sorry to hear about the issues you are dealing with. When I got Dooley he started having runny stool. I had him tested twice for coccida and other possible problems. Turns out he was allergic to chicken in his food. What food are you using and how much/often are you feeding?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
did the vet give you metronidazole? its an antibiotic and also has anti-inflammatory effects. It helps Lola with diarrhea within 24 hours. But as all antibiotics go, you have to finish the whole prescription or else you run the risk of the bacteria populating the body again. Im sorry your puppy is sick…

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a cutie pie!! You got good advice from the gang.... Finish the meds and go back to the vet for a recheck, since he is still eating it is a good sign he is improving, but definitely back to the vet to confirm all is going in the right direction.

OP
P

PRtypeR

Feb 24, 2014
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugen
Sorry to hear about the issues you are dealing with. When I got Dooley he started having runny stool. I had him tested twice for coccida and other possible problems. Turns out he was allergic to chicken in his food. What food are you using and how much/often are you feeding?

I am using what the breeder told me he was feeding him but not sure if its true. It is Blue Buffalo.. I feed him 3-4 times a day.. 120ml or 1/2 as it says.

did the vet give you metronidazole? its an antibiotic and also has anti-inflammatory effects. It helps Lola with diarrhea within 24 hours. But as all antibiotics go, you have to finish the whole prescription or else you run the risk of the bacteria populating the body again. Im sorry your puppy is sick…
Yes that was the first med he prescribed and he went through them with no improvement.

OP
P

PRtypeR

Feb 24, 2014
Country
Unites States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugen

How did you find out he was allergic?

Thank you for all the advice and kind words, everyone is appreciated!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to say ~Hi and Welcome~ your baby is beautiful<3 Maybe his loose stool is caused by something else also? Is everything else normal? He eats, drinks, plays and acts normal? No redness in his skin or anything? Sorry lots of questions:blush2:

When my furkids gets runny tummy I boil them chicken breast (no bones) and white rice to eat for a day or two and they always comes right on that. But since Mugen deals with some other things I'm not sure it's a good idea to try that:unsure: anyone? Maybe your vet can advice you if it's safe to try that on him at this stage.

:)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Take him to the Vet, have blood work done again, he is so Precious, and a Cutie he is. Let us now Please how he is doing. Susan

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
How did you find out he was allergic?

When all the tests came back negative I knew it had to be something else causing his runny poops. The easiest thing to change was his food. He was on Victor which is a good grain free food from the breeder but wanted to switch to Fromms anyway so I made the switch. When I did, the puppy food (pink bag) had chicken in it also but closer to the main ingredient. It was #1 or 2. Victor was further down the list like 5 or 6. His stool got worse with the Fromm puppy so I switched to Beef Fritta (sp) and he dried right up.
I hope this helps and keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.