Tail Pocket Issues

JLR989

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Mama
I have a 6 year old bulldog. She is currently on antibiotics for an infection in her feet. I wipe her tail pocket out every other day and it usually results in some hair coming out. Today, I wiped it out and the wipe was brown. I use wipes with the blue solution from the vet. I read about tail pocket infections and I don't know at what point she should go to the vet. Any suggestions? Thoughts?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
just keep wiping until is clean and maybe up it to once a day. diligence is key on tail pockets.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I would just be on the look out for discomfort coming from your bully. Indications of this can include trying to chase her tail around, or rubbing her bum on the floor. Also look for any hot spots or sores in and around the tail pocket area. Right now if you're noticing some "brown" stuff I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it's not blood you're seeing. When I wipe my Tate's tail pocket, I will occasionally see some hair and brownish gunk too. Are you cleaning with diluted chlorhexidine solution (the blue liquid)? that's a very good antibacterial and ought to help prevent an infection.

OP
J

JLR989

Jan 3, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Big Mama
Yes it is the diluted chlorhexidine solution.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh, and also check for a funky smell coming from the tail area…this could indicate an infection going on.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as Henny stated.... if there is a bad odor, it could be infection

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.