URGENT!!! 7 months english bulldog having hard to breathe please help me

bitondm

Feb 22, 2014
Country
israel
Bulldog(s) Names
phpo
Hii everyone
recently i got my first english bulldog it was my dream for years..
i went to see 6 months puppy and i felt in love with him right away, i saw his mother had good blood lines and his temperament was really good so i took him without any thinking.
after i took him i went to the vet for general look on his health (that because the breeder told me he had surgery for shorting his Elongated palate.
so i went to the vet that specialized in this breed and i ask him for the puppy health because he sound like he had Stuffy nose.
the vet told me that his surgery may help my puppy getting better life, and if it will go on then to visit him again to get steroid shot and Antibiotics.
after few days i see that my new puppy having hard to breath so i went visit him again, he was out of the country for a vacation so his vet hard his breathing and told me that he had some issue but he cant tell, so he tried to take photo of his lungs, but unfourntly without any success.
after few times he gave the puppy shot for steroids and some antibiotics.
i see some improvement for several days he started to be more active, to run to play i must mention i had him for one and half week for now.
i really love him and want the best for him i want him to have great life,i wondering what to do the breeder promise me that everything he needs even if he needs another surgery he will pay for everything, but i don't want the little one to suffer again i want the best for him, his nozzles are open i read alot about his face structure and its look like he had good structure, but again he breathing havely, speciality after short run he sleeping 80% of the day and very slowly with his moves,for time to time he had energy that includes running and playing with his toys, he eating his food from day one royal canin junior for english bulldog, he eats very fast 300g a day, he drinks a lot,sometimes his longe (when he Sniffing the grass during walk) start to shake,and gets white color for several seconds,i hope someone can help me believe:bad: me i treat him like my own son looking forward

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy… I will tag some members that have more experience w/elongated pallets. Seems strange he would still have breathing issues, if he's already had the surgery. Did they do surgery to widen his nares?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Has his heart been checked? It sounds like it could be heart related to me.

OP
bitondm

bitondm

Feb 22, 2014
Country
israel
Bulldog(s) Names
phpo
yes ithink he had Elongated palate im hope i spell it right

OP
bitondm

bitondm

Feb 22, 2014
Country
israel
Bulldog(s) Names
phpo
he visit the vet for 3 times from i got him they didnt mentaion nothing about his heart, but im always check his rate when he setting next to me to feel him its sounds like hi had slightly High pulse not to much..

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So sorry to hear all the trouble you are having with your baby!

He may have an upper respiratory infection, which is why when he is given steroid and antibiotic he is improving. If I were you, I would return him to the vet again for a follow up, and maybe a better success with the Xrays to make sure it has not moved into his lungs.

Do you have a way to video him? Video of how he breathes after a very short play would help and the vet too.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
When I ask if his heart was checked I mean for like a murmur. It sounds to me like his heart is working too hard upon exertion

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Welcome to the forum! I'm so sorry to hear that you're going through all of this! It's never easy to deal with a suffering pet! What I'm wondering is if your boy wasn't misdiagnosed. The steroids don't generally help with elongated palate issues. In general, steroids help to calm inflammation & those types of issues. I'm in agreement with Brutus77 in that it definitely could be heart related or even lung related in which case steroids would help. Now that the effects of the steroids are wearing off, he's having the same issues as before. Perhaps taking him to another vet to get a second opinion would be a good idea?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I have no experience with elongated palate but he is still a baby so he will sleep a lot. If I were you I would put him on something other than Royal Canine. I know vets push it but I really would change it to something better. There are food ratings and lists of great foods on here as well. Is his poop runny soft serve or firm? Have the vet try to get an x-ray of the little ones lungs. Good luck Welcome to EBN and we are all here for the support. We all love our fur babies and treat them just like our skin kids.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
How long ago was the surgery? When Chesty had it....it was very important to keep him settled and inactive for several weeks. Also no baths or water in the face. I would also consider getting another opinion. I'm concerned with the little info you've given. Anyways..... :welcome:

Lisabear123

Community Veteran
Jul 2, 2013
Hoschton, Ga
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brie
I agree with getting a second opinion and having his heart checked. An elongated palate can cause heaving and breathing issues when excited in even the slightest way. Did he already had surgery for it? If so, it shouldn't be a factor. Is he overweight? Did the vet check for bacterial infection in his trachea as well as pneumonia? It is obvious he is having difficulty breathing when any excitement occurs. Brie had a nasty infection the vet missed at first in her lungs and trachea. These bullies are so fragile sometimes it's scary. If you can take him to be checked again I think that would be the best option. Steroids and antibiotics can help if there is infection, but steroids can also weaken system so they want to be careful w that. Brie needed 3 rounds of antibiotics to get rid if her infection when she was about 8 weeks. Hang in there and def keep an eye on that baby! Please let us know how things go!

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Please get a second opinion. It sounds like he may have an additional problem besides the elongate palate. Also, consider changing his food. I agree with everyone here...it sounds like he may have another undiagnosed condition--possibly with his heart.

However, even if your baby has issues that does not mean he cannot live a long and happy life. Many of us have issues with our dogs and we have to try to figure out what works. Being here--on EBN---has been wonderful for me. Everyone here is so very helpful!

Welcome to EBN!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm sure it is hot there now, and they do get hot very easily when playing outside. Pups will sleep a lot so that's not a bad thing. I would say when your good bully vet gets back, take him in for another check. Maybe try to play outside in the morning or in the afternoon when it is cool outside.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hope your baby is doing better.... Can you get a video posted of his breathing for us to view?

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Hope things improve for your pet. You have gotten some good advice and a second checkup or opinion is a good idea. Be sure and tell the Vet all the symptoms you have noticed and all the remedies that have been tried. Please keep us posted on the progress

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online