When do you take action to correct cherry eye?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am not sure if Truman has cherry eye or not.

I have read all the threads on EBN about people's cherry eye experiences but I can't tell if I should act now or wait to see how things go:

Last night, after he was playing all day, Truman's gland popped out of his eye about half way. I watched the video on how to put it back in myself and did so and he was fine until later this evening, when it popped out again. I popped it back in and he's fine. It seems to be happening when he is really tired and hasn't happened before now.

Should I go to the vet right away or should I wait to see if it keeps happening? Are there are ways to treat it without surgery that are effective? Also, from my post, do you think Truman definitely has cherry eye or can the gland pop out and back in once in a while?

Ugh, between the hips and the mange, I am really hoping for the best on this one!

Thanks for any advice!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
If you'd like to get the procedure done, I'd wait until Truman's mange clears up. As you may recall from the other threads, it's not an emergency situation and doesn't bother our bully, it's only unsightly. Stig has bouts of cherry eye too, the longest lasting about 3 weeks. The day before we were going to call the vet to have it tacked in we came from work and miraculously found that it was gone. It only comes back out now when he's really tired or plays rough. We know that there are going to be future incidences but my bf and I decided that we're going to hold off with surgery unless it's obvious that it bothers him. Of course, we're going to watch for it everyday and try to put it back the same day before it gets too swollen to retract.

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I usually just let it go for awhile. When my Cocker had cherry eye, I took him and had the surgery, I brought him home and his other eye popped the gland about 3 days after. When I got Bertie my EB, she had her gland pop out and then she would lay down and sleep and it would be fine the next day. This went on for a few weeks, before it finally popped and stayed out. I took her to the vet who specializes in English Bullies and he told me that she was in no pain and to wait a week or two. He said usually if the other eye is gonna do it it will happen within a couple weeks. He told me to put lubricating eye drops in her eye a few times a day. He also told me that allergens from the carpet could be the problem too. I waited three weeks and during that time the gland would go back in for a day or so and then pop back out. Then, on the last day of the third week, the other eye did it too. The vet did the surgery on both eyes at the same time...much better...she only had to be put out once.

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I know I've mentioned this in related posts, but, Lola's pops out frequently. When she rubs her face on the carpet or scratches near her eye, it'll often pop out. I rub right under her eye and it goes away. It's only her right eye too. the left one has never popped out.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks everyone!

Truman's eye keeps popping out and today, I couldn't get it back in...ugh.

So here's another question for you [MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION] - how much did you pay for Bertie's surgery? I called the place I got Truman's hips done and they "estimate" $1200-1500 and I almost dropped the phone. The other threads said $800 seemed high so I am hoping it's way less than the quote I received.

By the way [MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION] I got the ornament you sent today and I love it! You are so creative! Truman wanted to eat it but it's safely up on the tree now -- the higher branches! Thank you!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
OH MY GOD!!!! $1200-$1500 !!!!! Bertie had Both Eyes done for Cherry eye, soft Pallet reduction, nastronic nares opened, spayed and hernia repair and the entire thing cost me less then $600 and I got most of that back with the Trupanion insurance (90%). I am so glad you liked the ornament! I love to craft!

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Although Truman's eye has been back in thus far today, I decided to take him to the vet to see what he said about his eye - especially since I'm leaving town soon. Basically, I didn't learn anything I didn't know before but I got another estimate for the surgery, on one eye, which was almost $1100. The other estimate I got that was $1200-1500 was for a surgeon specializing in ophthalmology so I was hoping this estimate would be significantly less.

So, [MENTION=651]sowdie[/MENTION], [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION], and [MENTION=1464]BigMacAttack[/MENTION] - did you receive any estimate about the cost of the cherry eye surgery? I think I remember [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] saying it was around $800, which others thought was expensive.

I am at a loss - it seems like so much money for such a simple and oft performed procedure! I called another area vet for another estimate and I will report back!

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] - It didn't occur to me to ask when I was at the vet's last. I'm thinking it's in the $300 range. I'll ask when I see the vet again, which should be soon for Stig's neutering.

sowdie

May 27, 2010
MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I've never asked either. I've always been able to get Lola's to go back in by gently rubbing under her eye.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I usually just let it go for awhile. When my Cocker had cherry eye, I took him and had the surgery, I brought him home and his other eye popped the gland about 3 days after. When I got Bertie my EB, she had her gland pop out and then she would lay down and sleep and it would be fine the next day. This went on for a few weeks, before it finally popped and stayed out. I took her to the vet who specializes in English Bullies and he told me that she was in no pain and to wait a week or two. He said usually if the other eye is gonna do it it will happen within a couple weeks. He told me to put lubricating eye drops in her eye a few times a day. He also told me that allergens from the carpet could be the problem too. I waited three weeks and during that time the gland would go back in for a day or so and then pop back out. Then, on the last day of the third week, the other eye did it too. The vet did the surgery on both eyes at the same time...much better...she only had to be put out once.

[MENTION=490]reallyrob[/MENTION] - I forgot to ask if you had the glands removed or tacked back in?

Never mind, I read the old threads again and saw that you had it tacked, which is what I was looking at also. I'm still calling around for prices in my area. So far, the cheapest I've found is $755 but so far, I've been able to get the gland back in.

Maybe you could tell me what the recovery was like for Bertie? Thanks again!

Last edited:

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Recovery wasn't bad at all. When I first brought her home, I only gave her ice chips for the first 12 hours. I had to put drops in her eyes three times a day for 7 days, and she had pain pills for the first five days. Keep in mind, that she also had the soft pallet, spayed, and her nares opened up and hernia repair. She did great with all of it! I had to watch her,just to make sure she didn't rub her face against anything. I kept her seperated from my cocker spaniel Dexter for three days...that was the hardest thing I had to do.

tdalton63

Aug 1, 2010
Schertz Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk and Chloe
Chunk had Cherry eye in one eye, the gland was protruding and did not go back in. His other eye, on occasion will pop out and go back. First we had the one eye tacked by a vet and within 2 days the cherry eye came back, and with no guarantees we were out the $300, so then we had the one eye tacked by a canine Opthamologist he was expensive, at about $800 but he did a great job and Chunks eye is perfect. There are vets that have performed this surgery a number of times and I am sure are very good, but I recommend asking a lot of questions before you go with any vet. How many have they done, what breed of dogs, etc... As for Chunk's other eye, since it only pops out once in awhile and it does not stay out for an extended period of time we are not going to have that surgically tacked. (we will if it does stay out for quite awhile) Hope it all works out for you.

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Wow I didnt know how expensive it was to fix cherry eye. I am very lucky that we havent had any issues except ingrown eyelashes on her upper lid, no surgery required.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Just a quick update on Truman's eye - well, I left over Christmas for nine days and Truman's eye only popped out once and went back in when he took a nap and haven't popped out since. So I think I'm going to wait it out a little bit and see how things go before I go any further since it could have been a temporary problem and he's still on his Invermectin because of his mange. Hopefully it stays in and he doesn't need any surgery - he's had enough of those already!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online