Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
This story came up on my FB, and I wanted to share it with you, a dog ate one of its owners E-cigarette juice capsules and died. Just a reminder that cigarettes, E-Cigarettes, and other chemicals and foods can harm our babies or poison them and cause death. We have to great them the same as babies and children, and make sure these hazardous substances are out of their reach.

Home Dog A-Z P Poisonous Substances

POISONOUS SUBSTANCES: POISONOUS SUBSTANCES AND FOOD DANGERS

Dog owners should always contact their vet for information and advice regarding any potentially hazardous substances, including human medicines that their dog has come into contact with. Veterinary practices have access to a 24 hour Veterinary Poisons Information Service.

Never purposely make your dog sick unless your vet advises you to do so.

Some examples of poisonous substances include:

E-cigarettes

Following reports that a puppy in Cornwall has died after biting into an e-cigarette refill, vets are warning pet owners to ensure they are kept out of reach of animals.

Nicotine poisoning acts very quickly and can be fatal, especially when large doses are involved. E-cigarettes and refills can easily contain sufficient quantities of nicotine to kill a small animal very quickly.

If you use e-cigarettes, we recommend storing all equipment safely out of reach of your pet. If you suspect your pet has chewed or eaten an e-cigarette or any toxic substance then it is vital that you contact a vet for treatment as quickly as possible.

Antifreeze poisoning

Antifreeze, screen-wash and some de-icers may contain Ethylene glycol ā€“ a substance fatal to dogs and cats. Antifreeze is available as a liquid to be added to the water in your car engine radiators to prevent freezing. Even small quantities spilt can be life threatening.

It is sweet tasting and attractive to dogs and cats, but is fatal to them so do be sure to keep such items out of your petā€™s reach and mop up any spillages straight away. Dispose of old cartons carefully, and ensure you keep your pet out of the garage-especially a new puppy that will investigate any new scent.

Signs such as staggering movements; tiredness; increased heart rate; continuous vomiting, or dehydration may suggest that your furry friend has ingested this poisonous substance. Unless your dog is taken to the vetā€™s promptly after ingestion and given intensive treatment, recovery may be poor!

Poisonous plants

Download our list of poisonous plants, garden and household substances.
Important informationā€“ please read:
Dogs Trust assumes no liability for the content of the following list. This does not represent a complete list of all poisonous plants and is only intended as a guide. Please contact your veterinary surgeon for advice or treatment immediately if you think your pet has eaten any of the following plants and is showing a bad reaction. Your pet may also have a sensitivity or allergy to a plant that is not on the list, so always be vigilant and seek help if you are worried about your petā€™s health.

Chocolate and other 'human' foods

Chocolate meant for human consumption contains theobromine which can be lethal ā€“ the darker the chocolate the higher amounts of theobromine. Toxic doses vary according to the size of dog and cocoa solid content of the chocolate. Do contact your vets immediately if you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate intended for human consumption ā€“ especially if you see any of the following symptoms; vomiting, a sore abdomen, excessive thirst, excitability, drooling, slow heart rate or convulsions.
Raisins and grapes can also be lethally toxic.
Small bones such as those from turkey and chicken are obviously not toxic, but should not be given to dogs because of the risk of become lodged in the dogā€™s throat or splintering (particularly if cooked), potentially perforating the intestinal tract.
Onions can cause anaemia, so should not be fed to your dog in any form.
Xylitol, a sweetener commonly found in sugar-free foods, has recently been found to be toxic to dogs.

Human Medicines

As a general rule you should assume that any human medicine is likely to be toxic to dogs, as very many of them are. Paracetamol is particularly dangerous as it can lead to death, or permanent kidney and liver damage which may require life long medical treatment.

Even if the active substance within a human medicine is appropriate for a dog, the dose is likely to be very different for a dog. Medical dose rates vary between individual dogs due to their size, breed and metabolic rate ā€“ just as with humans.

The golden rule is never dose your dog with any medicine that is not designed to be given to a dog and if you are ever in any doubt ask your vet whether it is safe. And of course, keep all human medicines safely out of your petā€™s reach.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 145

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Shame, poor pup:( I have the scullery fenced off with baby gates and the dogs are not allowed in there. I keep everything that can be harmful for them in there locked up in the cabinets, even the trash can is in there. I'm SUPER paranoid after our pug got a hold of a mercury light bulb about 3 years ago from the guy that did the garden service. Still somehow I found Boeboe and Bennie out in the garden chewing a normal glass light bulb last year:fie: it must have been thrown into our yard... now I'm to scared to let them be in the garden by themselves:( I can't BELIEVE the trouble they can get into, and the people that can harm them intentionally:moping:.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you, Monica...especially bulldogs need to watched, everything goes
into their mouths!

I disagree with avocados being poisonous, maybe the pit or skin but the flesh
is okay and beneficial in many ways. Garlic too, in small amounts is okay and is
a antiviral for them, like us too.

GOD bless you, Monica for all the time and hard work you do for EBN & us <3

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you, Monica...especially bulldogs need to watched, everything goes
into their mouths!

I disagree with avocados being poisonous, maybe the pit or skin but the flesh
is okay and beneficial in many ways. Garlic too, in small amounts is okay and is
a antiviral for them, like us too.

GOD bless you, Monica for all the time and hard work you do for EBN & us <3

Garlic is a great flea and tick replenant too.... small amounts is safe. As with anything - all in moderation

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's so sad that a puppy had to die because of the e-cigg. Thank you for sharing Monica.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Garlic is a great flea and tick replenant too.... small amounts is safe. As with anything - all in moderation

Thank you, Christine, for this great reminder as Spring is 30 days away...
then Summer...Flea season, YUCK!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent info- that is very scary and so sad about the e-cigarette :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GatorRN

Jan 31, 2014
Melbourne, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Perseus "Percy"
Very sad that this happened. We get to bring our first EB puppy home in April and this serves as a warning for myself as I am an avid ecig user and have been since 2009. I have gotten into several arguments with people over the level of nicotine they were using or recommending to other people because of the dangers and toxicity of it. For an adult nicotine can be toxic at 40mg/ml so I imagine it would be much lower for our babies.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.