Possible reaction to ACV

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Has anyone else's bully had a reaction after using apple cider vinegar? I started giving Hulk ACV in his water about two weeks ago and since then he has been scratching. Before then he never scratched. I thought it was just due to the weather since it's so cold and dry. Yesterday I noticed he had a few scratches on his head and one larger wound on his neck. I decided to rinse him with ACV diluted with water. I let it dry then put some coconut oil on the spots. I came home from work this morning and noticed the spot on his neck was much worse and he had another scratch on his head. He scratched his neck so bad it was bleeding :-/ I felt so bad! So I just rinsed him with water to get the ACV off and gave him some benadryl to help the itching. I haven't given him any ACV in his water today because that's the only thing that has changed the past two weeks and I think it's the culprit. I've only been putting about a 1/2 tsp of ACV in his water so I know I'm not giving too much. Anyone else have a similar problem using ACV?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sarah, I hadn't heard of any side effects or allergies to ACV, but it is possible, so I looked up possible side effects of taking apple cider vinegar, and itching due to allergy is a possible side effect to ACV. You can try taking it away, and see if the skin issues and itching subsides, and then either try re-introducing it in a couple of weeks, and see if the symptoms return, or just dontbgiveit to him again and see what happens. When looking for allergy symptoms and what causes them, it's really trial and error, and introducing and eliminating things to see if symptoms subside. With food it's always best to introduce one new thing at a time, so you will know if there is a reaction, and what food caused it.

Common Side Effects from Drinking Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV): You Could Get Some or All of These
Every Time I've Drunk Apple Cider Vinegar for Its 'Health Benefits', I've Ended Up with Severe Side Effects

Cassandra James, Yahoo Contributor Network

Many people take Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) daily for its various 'health benefits'. Few of these benefits have actually been proven by scientists, (although that doesn't necessarily mean they're not true), and some people are not aware there can be side effects from consuming Apple Cider Vinegar every day. I've taken it on several occasions (I stopped every time, as the side effects were too uncomfortable) and experienced side effects from constipation to terrible acne. If you're taking or planning on taking Apple Cider Vinegar daily, make sure you're aware of the possible side effects before you do.
Nausea - For some people, taking Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) daily can cause nausea. It rarely causes anyone to vomit, but having a couple of hours of feeling nauseous every day (most people take it at least twice daily) can be a bit annoying. If you are experiencing nausea, make sure you don't drink ACV on an empty stomach and, if it's really bothering you, try taking it at different times of day, as sometimes taking it in the morning can cause nausea, but in the evening not so much.

Severe Acne - Every time I started taking ACV, I ended up with severe acne. To say I haven't had acne for almost 20 years, it was annoying to say the least. Why you get acne when taking Apple Cider Vinegar though is because your body is cleansing itself of any impurities, which tend to come out in your skin. If you experience severe acne as a side effect, stick with it as, in most cases, it disappears in just a couple of weeks.

Stomach Ache - Another common side effect of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar is stomach ache, anything from mild to severe for at least an hour or more. This is caused by the acid in the ACV. If you experience stomach ache, one thing you can try is to mix the ACV with some baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). This adds an alkaline to the acidity, balancing it out and making your stomach ache a thing of the past. A good recipe is two teaspoons of ACV in 8ozs of water and half a teaspoon of baking soda.

Severe Itching - I know two people who developed itching all over their bodies after only taking ACV for a few days. No bumps, no zits, just itching. If you develop itching on your body after beginning an ACV regime, it could mean you're allergic to it. Stop taking the ACV for a few days and see if the itching goes away. If it does, try ACV again for a few days and, if you develop itching again, yes, you're allergic to it and will not be able to consume it without scratching yourself half to death.

Headaches - Another side effect of Apple Cider Vinegar is headaches. When I first started taking ACV, I experienced bad headaches on and off for almost three weeks. Headaches are a sign your body is detoxing, so, if you do get them and they're not too severe, don't worry too much as they should stop after a few weeks. If however, your headaches are severe, you may be allergic to ACV so should stop drinking it and see if they disappear.

For others though, ACV actually cures migraines (it's worked for me in the past), so what makes some feel one way doesn't affect others the same way.

Constipation or Diarrhea - The big reason I stopped taking ACV and no longer drink it is, no matter what I tried, ACV made me constipated. I've never had a problem with constipation, ever, so when I suddenly hadn't been to the bathroom in more than four days, you can only imagine how terrible I felt.

In others, Apple Cider Vinegar causes diarrhea, and they spend half of the day in the bathroom for the first few days after they begin to drink it. This is a sign your body is detoxing, so that's actually a good thing. If, however, your diarrhea continues for more than four or five days, ACV is probably not for you.

Like with all side effects, the ones you may experience with Apple Cider Vinegar can be severe in some people and none existent in others. Some people have no side effects whatsoever but, like anything, ACV could affect you so make sure you know what could happen and, if it does and you're finding them too severe to cope, stop drinking it. After all, ACV is supposed to make you feel better, not worse.

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks for the post! It's the only new thing for him so that's what I'm thinking is causing the problem. So far the benadryle has helped with the itching. And we've stopped the ACV.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is totally possible.... good that you stopped and see how he does for a few days without it.

mo77511

Jan 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sukie and Tucker
I tried the ACV in the drinking water and my girl eyes started running nonstop and got all goopy and cleared up after I stopped putting it in the water. Didnt affect my boy.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
My frenchton had an allergic reaction from ACV and his body broke out into hives. He was very itchy and ended up loosing fur from the whole ordeal. He is our problem child with allergies though. He is allergic to everything except fleas. He is even allergic to our cat LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online