to neuter or not to neuter.. that is the question..

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Instead of writing it all over, I'm just going to C&P an email I wrote.

I've been going back and forth on whether or not we're gonna get Blue neutered and have been weighing the pros and cons of both.
Well, after speaking with my vet, and reading everything I could from reliable sources (not random people on the internet that have an agenda), I've learned quite a bit.

This is a new article that came out regarding castration. It's about a study that was done by UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine and was published by the
American Veterinary Medical Association. https://www.avma.org/news/javmanews/pages/131101a.aspx

In the study, researchers analyzed the records of 759 intact, and non-intact Golden Retrievers.
I believe what they found is an important read for all dog owners.

I totally get that this is a touchy subject. But since this is a wonderful learning forum- full of articles and advice from seasoned Bulldog owners. The decision to castrate or not is a very important one for all of us. Would be great if we could just present the facts for both sides, then let people decide on their own.

To be honest, I'm still not sure what we're going to do with Blue. But whatever decision we make, it's going to be an informed one, and not "just because that's what people most do".

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In Finland most people neuter only if there is medical problems. Our dogs don't roam free and make unwanted puppies and in my opinion it is not needed to prevent medical problems. Neutering can cause other medical problems, so I choose to deal with medical issues IF they arise.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a really interesting read, thanks for sharing it. I think you're right, the only thing anyone can do is present the information and let that parent make the decision.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Great read.... Thanks. I'll still spay /neuter all my babies, just my choice.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Although Vegas was already neutered when we adopted him at almost 5 months, I would have done it anyways. Just my personal choice I have always spayed and neutered all my animals.

OP
N

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've questioned the health benefits of neutering young puppies since we got Blue. And since no vet I've spoken with could confirm, or for that matter, even explain any health benefits (other than social interaction) we held off.
So I thought what the study found in regards to early castration, very interesting.

The only thing is, we're still undecided about whether or not we'll be doing it at all.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I won't neuter for the simple reason that I won't ever put chum under anesthesia for an elective surgery..Too many heartbreaking stories of routine procedures turning horribly wrong with bullies.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.