RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Where I come from we don't neuter unless medical problems so i don't really understand what you mean by "point-of-no-return"…I thought is't always that point when you "snip".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My vet has always said a time after 6 months is fine

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm not sure if if there's a point of no return, provided the dog's healthy.
But if you're gonna do it, now would be a good time.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, the recommended age for spaying or neutering is around 6 to 7 months, and before a female goes into heat. I don't think there is a point of no return for a male to be neutered, but I would think the younger they are the easier the surgery and recovery would be on the dog. There are also many benefits to spaying and neutering your pet, especially if you are not intending to breed them. The risk of cancers are lessened the earlier you alter them, the risk of wandering or running away due to being in heat is reduced, this puts them at risk of getting lost, stolen, or hit by a car. Neutering your male also lessens or eliminates marking or humping.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi, the recommended age for spaying or neutering is around 6 to 7 months, and before a female goes into heat. I don't think there is a point of no return for a male to be neutered, but I would think the younger they are the easier the surgery and recovery would be on the dog. There are also many benefits to spaying and neutering your pet, especially if you are not intending to breed them. The risk of cancers are lessened the earlier you alter them, the risk of wandering or running away due to being in heat is reduced, this puts them at risk of getting lost, stolen, or hit by a car. Neutering your male also lessens or eliminates marking or humping.

Recent studies in veterinary medicine is showing that many of these things are simply not true.
In fact, neutering too young can increase the risks of many conditions including cancer.

Not being argumentative. In fact, I usually agree with everything you post!! Just not this. :D

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Blueberrys Mom, don't worry I don't take as argumentative, but a learning opportunity. I have always been under the impression that these were the recommended reasons for spaying and neutering your dog, and it's what my vet recommends, but I'm sure there are many differing opinions, and there are always new studies and research that we can all learn from. Thank you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hiya [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]
We're still undecided with Blue. I've been reading both sides of the camp, but I gotta say- I'm not finding anything recent, from reliable sources, on the health benefits of castration.
If I do, I'll be sure to post it side by side with articles from the opposing side. I'm all about presenting facts for both sides of every argument, and having people decide on their own.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Hello Blueberrys Mom

My girl is coming up on four months old and I will be dealing with this very soon. If you don't mind I would like hear your thoughts on how you reach your decision.
I did read the California-Davis article which has me wondering if im doing the right thing for Bella having her spayed.

Doug

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hello Blueberrys Mom

My girl is coming up on four months old and I will be dealing with this very soon. If you don't mind I would like hear your thoughts on how you reach your decision.
I did read the California-Davis article which has me wondering if im doing the right thing for Bella having her spayed.

Doug

I sent you a private message.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.