Advice on nasal widening surgery!!

Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Hi guys, I am the owner of my 1.5 year old bully named Miss Piggy. I've posted on here a few times and you all have been phenomenal! She recently developed eye ulcers in both her eyes. We have been on treatment for 2 weeks now and though they have gotten smaller they are still there. Vet is thinking surgery to laser some of the eyelid off will fix it- they're thinking some hairs are running onto eye since bulldogs faces are so condensed which could be causing the hair to irritate the cornea causing the ulcer. I was going to have her spayed when and if I decide to do the surgery at the same time. I was also considering nasal widening surgery. I'd like to know more about it. Obviously I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and knock out everything at one instead of putting her under twice. I don't know whether or not widening her nostrils is beneficial or necessary. She only snores when she is sleeping - and boy is it loud lol! - but other than that her breathing seems to be great. She will only pant when she is playing around with us and her toys and sometimes she'll give an occasional snort. Anyone here give their dog the surgery? What made you decide to get it? Any details would be great! I am taking her back to the vet in 6 days which is when they will re-evaluate her eyes and we will decide whether or not to pursue with surgeries. Please pray for my baby :(

OP
D
Feb 6, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Piggy
Help! Advice needed on nasal widening surgery & other surgeries

Hi guys, I am the owner of my 1.5 year old bully named Miss Piggy. I've posted on here a few times and you all have been phenomenal! She recently developed eye ulcers in both her eyes. We have been on treatment for 2 weeks now and though they have gotten smaller they are still there. Vet is thinking surgery to laser some of the eyelid off will fix it- they're thinking some hairs are running onto eye since bulldogs faces are so condensed which could be causing the hair to irritate the cornea causing the ulcer. I was going to have her spayed when and if I decide to do the surgery at the same time. I was also considering nasal widening surgery. I'd like to know more about it. Obviously I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and knock out everything at one instead of putting her under twice. I don't know whether or not widening her nostrils is beneficial or necessary. She only snores when she is sleeping - and boy is it loud lol! - but other than that her breathing seems to be great. She will only pant when she is playing around with us and her toys and sometimes she'll give an occasional snort. Anyone here give their dog the surgery? What made you decide to get it? Any details would be great! I am taking her back to the vet in 6 days which is when they will re-evaluate her eyes and we will decide whether or not to pursue with surgeries. Please pray for my baby

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If her nares are very small it could really help her, but if they are fine it's not necessary. What does the vet think? I've never had this done but many members have so hopefully they will chime in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi guys, I am the owner of my 1.5 year old bully named Miss Piggy. I've posted on here a few times and you all have been phenomenal! She recently developed eye ulcers in both her eyes. We have been on treatment for 2 weeks now and though they have gotten smaller they are still there. Vet is thinking surgery to laser some of the eyelid off will fix it- they're thinking some hairs are running onto eye since bulldogs faces are so condensed which could be causing the hair to irritate the cornea causing the ulcer. I was going to have her spayed when and if I decide to do the surgery at the same time. I was also considering nasal widening surgery. I'd like to know more about it. Obviously I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and knock out everything at one instead of putting her under twice. I don't know whether or not widening her nostrils is beneficial or necessary. She only snores when she is sleeping - and boy is it loud lol! - but other than that her breathing seems to be great. She will only pant when she is playing around with us and her toys and sometimes she'll give an occasional snort. Anyone here give their dog the surgery? What made you decide to get it? Any details would be great! I am taking her back to the vet in 6 days which is when they will re-evaluate her eyes and we will decide whether or not to pursue with surgeries. Please pray for my baby :(

The nares surgery will help with breathing, but not really with the snoring. I had the nares done for Nitschke when he was 2 and also for my Frenchie, Chelios..... It helps them breathe better, definitely, but snoring and sleep apnea are usually because of the elongated palate, but the surgery HELPS make it easier for them, it does not eliminate the issue totally. Nitschke and Cheli both still snored after and the apnea lessened greatly.

let me know if you have any other questions... Glad to help

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.