Red Pussing Sores?

B

Baxter Tiberius

These sores have been appearing on baxter lately after his latest trip to the doggy daycare. They seem to start off as little bald patches, then turn into bloody red wet sores (not actually bleeding), then they dry and turn completely black.

Here you can see the wet red ones on the left, and the bald spots on the right leg:

IMAGE_2.jpg

Here you can sort of see them all over his neck, and some that have turned black:

IMAGE_3.jpg

Here you can see a completely bald spot on his ear next to my thumb. its a lot more noticeable and abnormal looking than the picture conveys:

IMAGE_4.jpg

PS: I stopped washing him weekly after the comments that it might be stripping his skin of natural oils, so this isn't related to washing too much. He has almost always come home from doggy daycare with something. Whether its ticks, fleas, or something else. Is this Mange?

No recent diet changes.

Kevin

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm not sure if this is mange, as I don't have any experience with Mange, but I was thinking that maybe he is getting chewed on or bitten by the other dogs in daycare when they are playing. Maybe they are playing too rough, and causing little bite marks and cuts in his skin, and then they are irritated, infected, or just oozing and then when they dry up, they turn black like a scab? I would speak to the owners of the daycare regarding the problem with fleas, ticks, and other things that Baxter is picking up there. They should be making sure that all the dogs that come to daycare are up to date on all shots, are free of parasites, fleas, and ticks, and they should be treating their facilities if they have a problem with fleas. I would also be asking them if the dogs are playing too rough and if Baxter is getting sores from this. Maybe you can bring him there on a day when you have some time to observe what is happening when he's there. Also a visit to the vet would be a good idea to see if it is Mange, or something else. Please keep us posted.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with Monica. When Brutus plays too rough with Frankie he grabs onto his face and pulls and this is exactly what it looks like. I think he may be getting "Bullied" at doggie daycare.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
They look like bug bites to me especially when they are turning into scabs afterwards, like mites maybe. I can see why you were bathing him all the time, that's not good that he's coming home with fleas and ticks at all. Maybe you could go to a different day care.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
They look like bug bites to me especially when they are turning into scabs afterwards, like mites maybe. I can see why you were bathing him all the time, that's not good that he's coming home with fleas and ticks at all. Maybe you could go to a different day care.
I was thinking of this-and Phil has already said it. It does look like mites, or flea bites. My dogs wrestle and bite on each others legs all the time and don't get marks like that. It looks like it could be flea bite dermatitis......And as was stated, I would check out the day care.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
It looks like ant bites or some type of bug bites to me too. Red ants will bite and have a simular appearance afterwards. I would definitely ask the day care if they are having any problems with bug bites on other animals in there.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I too am thinking bites from rough-housing at daycare.... ask if he is playing with puppies... you know, 'shark teeth'

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

I should say he itches them like crazy, and gnaws on them too. But that could even happen with a healing cut from a puppy bite, as it gets itchy.

What was abnormal was these flat round bloody things. They wouldn't bleed. But they were this size O or twice that size. no hair. Flat. And if you touched them, you'd have a little redness on your finger.

Seemed more like a sore. The one on his neck in the picture above was about O that size (depending on your monitor size it was about as big as the end of your pinky finger). He once brushed up against me and there was a blood streak on my leg. But it doesn't actually "bleed".

Weird. The bald patches are definitely something though

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
If they show up after daycare and the bald spots don't get bigger it's probably not "puppy mange". Ruckus had a bought of puppy mange and it didn't look like that, and the vet said it isn't itchy. Looks like maybe ant bites or other dogs playing too rough?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I should say he itches them like crazy, and gnaws on them too. But that could even happen with a healing cut from a puppy bite, as it gets itchy.

What was abnormal was these flat round bloody things. They wouldn't bleed. But they were this size O or twice that size. no hair. Flat. And if you touched them, you'd have a little redness on your finger.

Seemed more like a sore. The one on his neck in the picture above was about O that size (depending on your monitor size it was about as big as the end of your pinky finger). He once brushed up against me and there was a blood streak on my leg. But it doesn't actually "bleed".

Weird. The bald patches are definitely something though

:ponder: that would not lead me to think puppy bite, but maybe bug bites or fire ants?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.