Help Needed! Bulldog continues to scratch her face

goblue

Oct 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
lola
Lola continues to scratch her face. She scratches so much that itbleeds. This has been going on for about the last 4 months. I havent changedther food or anything. Basically its the same routine. I took her to the vet.three weeks ago and they put her on Temaril-P Tablets. Its stop the intchingfor those three weeks. That was nice. But once the pills were gone with in aday she started scratching again. Now Lola cotuinues to scratch. I have triedBenedryl and giving her one capsule morning and night for about the last sixmonths. Which Im still doing. I dont believe that helped much. I wipe herwrinkles on her face once a day with Douxo Pads. I clean her ears once everytwo weeks with a ear cleaning solution since the day I got her. I clean hertail pocket about every three days with Witch Hazel Pads. So you can see I doour daily maintenance on her. Lolas two years old and has 13 points towards her showtitle. I just cant firgue this one out. Please help.

Jeff

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Has anything changed like laundry detergents, household cleaners or anything like that? I also see you mention you haven't changed her food. Food is one of the leading causes of allergies in bullies and even if they have been fine on a particular food doesn’t always mean it will stay that way. What food are you feeding her as she might have developed an allergy to the protein or another ingredient in it?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

OP
G

goblue

Oct 31, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
lola
After speaking with the wife we havent change any thing like laundry detergents or anything alse. I feed her Nature's Variety Instinct the salmon flavor. I have been feeding her this same food for over the last year. No problems till now. But that doesnt mean its not time to change again.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
She could have devloped and allergy to the salmon which isn't all that uncommon and my baby is allergic to it as well. If you do decide to switch foods remember to do it slowly and that it can take up to a month for the old food to get out of her system.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
Welcome to the Allergy / Yeastie Beasties hell Give her a good ole Sniff test, if her paws or wrinkles smell like Corn Chips... it is probably a yeast problem.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
salmon makes Lola itch like crazy! Lola had some allergies (has some i should say) that would make her lick her paws incessantly and scratch her body with her legs making herself bleed near her underarms. This usually happened at night, and we realized it was happening the most at the end of summer/early fall. We had her on a bout of steriod/antiinflammatories (vanectyl-P) which worked wonders, but this was a very high dose followed by an immediate weaning schedule over two weeks. We changed her food during this time, and itches still came back, so we kept her on a very low dose of 1 pill per day (compared to the 6 pill starting concentration). This helped ALOT. After the first hard frost, we weaned her off the steriods. SHe was on a low dose for about three weeks. The symptoms arent totally gone, and I know that long term steroid use has its side effects, but for us, a full nights sleep was a miracle at that point. Its so sad seeing our babies so itchy.

Meanwhile, my vet suggested that I clean ears twice a week. You can up your ear washing as well. Keep those tear folds dry with just plain tissues, multiple times a day. Try another allergy mediciation if you don't want to try the vanectyl-P, like zyrtec. Lola didnt really have a response to benedryl either (though it made her a bit more sleepy and less likely to wake up and scratch). I hope your Lola feels better soon!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
After speaking with the wife we havent change any thing like laundry detergents or anything alse. I feed her Nature's Variety Instinct the salmon flavor. I have been feeding her this same food for over the last year. No problems till now. But that doesnt mean its not time to change again.

could definitley be the food.... my girl is also sensitive to salmon... itchy / scratchy all day if she has just a little of it

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online