JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I noticed when when I was cleaning her tail pocket on Saturday after her bath that a decent amount of blood came out on the cotton ball. The blood was both brown and bright red. Her tail pocket is deep and to complicate it her tail has an extreme bend that curls right back toward her pocket. I've always been a bit concerned about it. The bend bend is so tight that she can't wag her tail. Anyhoots, I got some Gentizol today from the vet and flushed her out with Malacetic Ultra, then got in there again with a cotton ball to get the excess out. I squeezed in the Gentizol after that. She's been scouting recently but I chalked it up to hair in her tail pocket until I got in deep to clean it.

Does anyone have any other advice on how to treat this? If it's not a bit better by the week's end I'll take her to the vet. Just cancelled her insurance too, dohhhhh.

devlishangelinca

May 23, 2013
Sacramento, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris
Boris has a very tight tail pocket with a twist too. I clean it daily with the malacetic wipes. Because there is bleeding you might want to go to the vet so you can get antibiotics too. Once we started cleaning him daily no more issues. Good luck!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've gotten so busy lately that I skipped checking it. I could jus kick myself. Sally & Wilson's tail pockets are open and nice and round. Poor thing cried when I was cleaning it. I'll call the vet tomorrow to see if he wants her in. :(

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh no, Jeannie! Yes definitely get her to the vet b/c those infections are painful. I know I waited too long the first time Finn had a tail pocket infection and the vet told me it was pretty bad at that point and he was cringing when they cleaned him up. She will likely get a round of antibiotics and maybe a steroid.

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY keep that pocket DRY DRY DRY DRY DRY we didnt get Hershey's pocket dry after a bath.... and it was a mess in a few days.

Last resort, tail amputation. Gizmo's tail was amputated, extreme surgery, however, no more tail pocket issues, and a VERY Happy Bully without any Bum Issues now :)

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
@JeannieCO...Great advice above~Yes to vet visit & antibiotics!

No blame or guilt, it happens and we feel terrible for them. Give
sweet Emma kisses from Cami & me~Praying for swift healing!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've always been worried about tail amputation. When she was spayed I had the vet look at the curve in her tail because it's an immediate bend and presses against the back of her pocket. I really thought her scooting was due the tissues that will hang out of her bum when she eats them and then poops and I have to pull them out. Sorry to be so graphic but she loves tissues an had gotten ahold of one again.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry Emma is going through this Jeannie. Poor girl, but don't feel bad, we know how much you love your babies, and you didn't know. We always try to do the best or them. I'm sorry I don't have any advice regrading tail pockets, Dozer and Blossom don't have a tail pocket, but you have been given great advice from everyone above. I would take her to the vet, to have it checked and get her some antibiotics before it gets infected, so it doesn't get worse. You can discuss tail amputation surgery when you're at the vets, but I would say do this only as a last resort, as Emma has never had this problem before, and it might just be a one time occurrence. With antibiotics, a good cleaning, it should clear up, and hopefully she won't have a problem again. Please keep us posted. Good luck Hun. I hope Emma feel s better soon. Hugs and love to you.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] When Blue get a yeast infection in his tail pocket, I found it easier to get in and clean it out when he's getting a bath. It's just much easier since the water acts as a lubricant so it's not so tight and the pain is minimal.
Try using Douxo shampoo to clean it out, then dry her and follow up right away with Douxo pads. They're self drying so you don't need to fuss much with her pocket.

Blue's is also very tight and we find this works best for him.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I've gotten so busy lately that I skipped checking it. I could jus kick myself. Sally & Wilson's tail pockets are open and nice and round. Poor thing cried when I was cleaning it. I'll call the vet tomorrow to see if he wants her in. :(

I'm so sorry it got so bad, I hope the vet will be able to give you the medication to help clear it up. I'm so happy we don't have pockets back there, I cant imagine how bad that must be.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I hope Emma feels better soon. Ambers tail pocket is tight too and Ruby's is even tighter. I use a water pik (old one but works great) with witch hazel. Fill it up with witch hazel and plug it in and stick it in the tail pocket; the gush of witch hazel must feel good on them because Amber and Ruby line up for tail pocket cleaning, then I use the tucks pads to kind of dry it out and finalize it with the lotrimin foot powder. I get one of the baby nose bulbs and fill it with the powder and then sqeeze that up into the tail pocket, works like a charm. Depending on how bad it is would determine if she needs to go to the vet now, you know best on that one. This is the method I use on tail pockets; Ruby had an irritation several weeks ago thanks to me trying something new with their food that didn't work but within 72 hours she was back to normal and tail pocket is good to go now. Give Emma hugs for us and good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] how is Ms. Emma today... did you talk with the vet?

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry for the delay, I had a crappy arse day! I'm dropping Emma off at the vet tomorrow so he can check her out. They'll probably have to either pin her down or give her a mild sedation I'm sure to really get in there and look. I wiped it when I got home this evening, well I pressed some tissue down and it's stuff comes out with a bit of blood and yellow goop on the tissue, like puss would be from a blister. I'll report back as soon as I find out anything. Thank you all and sorry if I come across pissy right now. :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I hope that Emma's tail heals up soon… keep us posted!!! ;)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sounds infected. Best wishes for Emma to heal well.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.