Bulldog Tail Trimming?

Bobby Nichols

Feb 15, 2014
Hi guys! I recently found this website while doing some research on food ratings specific to the English Bulldog breed. I've got two bullies myself and I'll probably never have another breed of dog.

However, I've got a minor issue with my second bully. Her tail curls at the end it and it's pressing tight to her body. My vet (whom I trust wholeheartedly and has a bulldog himself) has recommended that when we fix her he takes a small amount off the end to prevent the development of a tail pocket/infection.

What do you guys think? I've read the good and the bad all over the internet but nothing specific to bulldogs.

Has anyone here had a tail trimmed or "re-docked"?

Thoughts?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There's some here that have. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] is one.
I'm sure she can give you some insight.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
We've not had to do that with Lola, who has a pretty tight corkscrew tail. But we are able to get a wipe and some witch hazel up in there to keep it clean. I would use tail amputation as a last resort. If you can keep it clean and dry and without infection, that would be your best bet. This is a major surgery, and bullies do not do well with anesthesia. The less risk the better. Twice daily tail pocket cleaning vs complications or even worse from surgery shoudl be considered. But then again, if you have no access to that space and your dog is suffering daily, weigh the options. Itchy or bullies in pain are the saddest thing I can think of. It's your dog, your call.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Yes, Finn had most of his corkscrew tail amputated last month. He was having recurrent tail infections, had to be placed on antibiotics and prednisone several times, and my vet suggested tail amputation when he had his last recurrence in December. Finn is doing really well now! He used to try to chase his tail, turning around in circles b/c there always seemed to be something that was irritating him, but since the surgery, he hasn't been showing any discomfort in the area (knock on wood)! It sounds like your vet is suggesting that only a portion of your bully's tail be amputated. Sometimes when only a small portion is removed, the bully can still develop infections in other parts of the tail, so I would ask your vet what he/she thought about that. You don't want your bully to have to go thru this surgery only for her to have it again sometime in the future. If she will be going in for her spay then that probably would be a good time for her to have the tail surgery too so you don't have to put her thru a separate anesthesia.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] also had to have Vegas tail removed

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
full (5).jpgfull (9).jpg5 days after surgery.jpg18 weeks after surgery.jpg

Vegas had such a tiny external nub and such a deep and tight pocket. He was just a baby and always miserable. The doctor suggested closing the pocket and I agreed. I didn't know that closing the pocket meant removing all but 1/4" of the tail vertebrae. This was done when he was about 7 or 8 months old. He is now 6 1/2 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. Orion recently developed a tail pocket infection and it brought up all the misery that Vegas use to experience.

This all happened before EBN was born....I had no one to ask, no advice to seek. If I had to do it again, I would. He has enough problems without having to deal with a tail pocket.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
View attachment 66310View attachment 66311View attachment 66312View attachment 66313

Vegas had such a tiny external nub and such a deep and tight pocket. He was just a baby and always miserable. The doctor suggested closing the pocket and I agreed. I didn't know that closing the pocket meant removing all but 1/4" of the tail vertebrae. This was done when he was about 7 or 8 months old. He is now 6 1/2 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. Orion recently developed a tail pocket infection and it brought up all the misery that Vegas use to experience.

This all happened before EBN was born....I had no one to ask, no advice to seek. If I had to do it again, I would. He has enough problems without having to deal with a tail pocket.

Best butt I have ever laid eyes on :judges:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi guys! I recently found this website while doing some research on food ratings specific to the English Bulldog breed. I've got two bullies myself and I'll probably never have another breed of dog.

However, I've got a minor issue with my second bully. Her tail curls at the end it and it's pressing tight to her body. My vet (whom I trust wholeheartedly and has a bulldog himself) has recommended that when we fix her he takes a small amount off the end to prevent the development of a tail pocket/infection.

What do you guys think? I've read the good and the bad all over the internet but nothing specific to bulldogs.

Has anyone here had a tail trimmed or "re-docked"?

Thoughts?

I have no advice I'm sorry! [MENTION=4706]RaRett[/MENTION] had his Pups tail done as well! I can't remember which one?

OP
B

Bobby Nichols

Feb 15, 2014
Hmmm...

I'm still not sure what to do :(. Im not sure if it's going to grow in worse or not, if it's going to cause pain or any issue or not but it seems as though I used to be able to get my finger in there pretty easily and now I can't. It's never moist, dirty or irritated though and she has no tail pocket... Just the curly q on her tail having grown back in...

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
I have no advice I'm sorry! @RaRett had his Pups tail done as well! I can't remember which one?

Well.... Gizmo had her tail AMPUTATED -- She had a tight inverted corkscrew tail that went back into her body. This is major surgery, be sure to get a second opinion. I personally wouldnt do it if my vet suggested it 'to prevent issues' I would only do it, if her tail became an issue. Like I said, its major surgery, and with any surgery, complications can happend. Maybe your vet isnt talking as extreme as Gizmo's was, her Tail was removed, and her tail pocket was removed (Basically for lack of better description, a butt cheek lift) they pulled the skin tight to remove the tail pocket totally.

But Gizmo had all types of tail issues, infections etc, and it was a last resort.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online