Re: Is this the precursor to bloat or something else? Any ideas?

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male

Not sure what is going on with Charley. In the last two weeks he has had three excessive drooling spells. He felt fine 2 days ago and now has been lethargic for the last 24 hours. He started drooling excessively and was uncomfortable last night. I gave him rescue remedy and pepto bismol. He calmed down and slept well. This morning he seemed fine. Around 1 this afternoon, he started drooling again. I took him to the vet. They are concerned it is either the rich Orijen food I started him on last month, or the fish oil caps they put him on for ear yeast infection. They did want to put him on Hill prescription bland food, but i told them I'd rather cook for him. They wanted me to feed him either chicken and rice or hamburger and rice for a week then wean him back onto acana food (he had done well with that). If that works try the fish oil again.

Any idea how much I should feed? That wasn't included in their instructions. He is 53 pounds, but the vet wants him at 50.

Any other thoughts on the excessive drooling, discomfort and lethargy?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Hi Sharon, I moved this to a new topic so it doesn't get missed.

With the symptoms, it kinda sounds like either obstruction or bad tummy ache. I would take it easy on bland to make sure the tummy settles. Maybe only a half a cup per feeding for the first day, then up it to a full serving the next day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom

Lisa has given you excellent advice, I was going to suggest an obstruction as well. Could he have swallowed something you don't know about. Keep an eye on him, and if he doesn't get better in a day or two, I would have the vet check him for an obstruction, with either a X-ray, or a barium X-ray and a examination of his belly. Signs of obstruction are drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea. Please keep us posted.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven

You might want a 2nd opinion, I wouldn't think 'too rich food' wouldn't cause drooling
but vomiting and/or diarrhea. Like Lisa & Monica suggested, it sounds like obstruction.
If a soft object swallowed (like a sock) it won't show on regular x-rays. Keeping y'all
in prayers, GOD bless.

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks for the ideas. I was surprised they didn't X-ray too, especially since vet said it is tough to see a bullie's tummy because of the large ribcage covering it. No vomiting, no diarrhea, no fever.... lethargy, discomfort and periodic drooling. I didn't see this till after feeding this am, so he had 1/2 cup chicken and 1/2 cup rice. He chewed his bone for awhile and is now out for a short walk.

Have any of you used Pepcid and/or sucralfate for tummy aches?

Thanks for the well wishes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks for the ideas. I was surprised they didn't X-ray too, especially since vet said it is tough to see a bullie's tummy because of the large ribcage covering it. No vomiting, no diarrhea, no fever.... lethargy, discomfort and periodic drooling. I didn't see this till after feeding this am, so he had 1/2 cup chicken and 1/2 cup rice. He chewed his bone for awhile and is now out for a short walk. Have any of you used Pepcid and/or sucralfate for tummy aches? Thanks for the well wishes!

Because of my concern, I talked to a friend w/Vet experience about Charley's symptom
of just drooling. She agreed, take to another Vet or go back and ask for more though exam
including a full mouth exam (may have to slightly sedate him) as he may have something caught
in his teeth, gums, throat, etc. They had a dog doing this and it had a sewing needle stuck in
the roof of it's mouth! She too, said drooling has NOTHING to do with rich food...I'd hold off
on medicine for tummy ache as it might do more harm than good until you know what the issue
is. Good luck & let us know. GOD bless.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Have any of you used Pepcid and/or sucralfate for tummy aches? Thanks for the well wishes!

Yes, I have used both....

how is he today?

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

First off, thank you to all who have replied! Your thoughts and ideas were so comforting. After living with bullies for 29 years, this odd illness was a first for us!

Btw, the vet was able to do a pretty good mouth check yesterday, so I was fairly comfortable with that. I was surprised she hadn't done a stomach X-ray, especially since she mentioned how difficult it is to feel a bullie tummy. He's been healthy, so we've only seen this vet once or twice a year.

Charley feels great today. He even wanted to play fetch this afternoon. No drooling, no lethargy! We watched very carefully and didn't feed him for an hour afterwards. No drooling tonight! Woohoo!

i took that orijen food back and exchanged it for acana lamb and apple. I'll slowly wean him back onto the avana starting Sunday evening if all is well!

Do any of you feed your bullies fish oil? If so liquid, caplets or...? I almost wonder if that was really the culprit. The vet wanted him off orijen though, so I'll start with that, then reintroduce the fish oil. Now to solve the yeast issue!

thanks again!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

First off, thank you to all who have replied! Your thoughts and ideas were so comforting. After living with bullies for 29 years, this odd illness was a first for us!

Btw, the vet was able to do a pretty good mouth check yesterday, so I was fairly comfortable with that. I was surprised she hadn't done a stomach X-ray, especially since she mentioned how difficult it is to feel a bullie tummy. He's been healthy, so we've only seen this vet once or twice a year.

Charley feels great today. He even wanted to play fetch this afternoon. No drooling, no lethargy! We watched very carefully and didn't feed him for an hour afterwards. No drooling tonight! Woohoo!

i took that orijen food back and exchanged it for acana lamb and apple. I'll slowly wean him back onto the avana starting Sunday evening if all is well!

Do any of you feed your bullies fish oil? If so liquid, caplets or...? I almost wonder if that was really the culprit. The vet wanted him off orijen though, so I'll start with that, then reintroduce the fish oil. Now to solve the yeast issue!

thanks again!

So glad all is well!! I've used grizzly salmon oil, grizzly wild pallock oil and fish oil caplets, and never had any problems. Perhaps after all is settled in again you can try them.

Texas Carol

Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

It could be the problem (fish oil) as some bullies are allergic to it in any form just as they
are to salmon and/or other fish. Also, there is the issue now of high mercury levels in fish
oils,I've given them up. There are other great & safer sources of fats such as coconut oil,
avocado oil, etc I feed these to Cami, my bully, as well. I would take him off fish oil too and
see how he does, give about a month for all to clear from system. Let us know! GOD bless

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo

I would take Charlie to the Vet for X-Rays, or an MRI, just to be sure all is ok with Charlie. Please let us know how he is doing. Kisses to Charlie. Susan Moore

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Took him off the fish oil too at same time. Per the vet, we can reintroduce fish oil once we know he can handle regular food again. The fish oil I was giving him was the capsules i take which are distilled and "mercury free". I opened a capsule and it sure doesn't smell like a nice fresh piece of salmon. Maybe that's normal. What is the value of coconut oil? It doesn't have omega 3's does it?

Why would bullies be naturally sensitive to fish? You know I think his blue buffalo food that had given him loose bowels was fish! . The orijen had some fish ingredients too. We may be on to something!

Thanks for all your great ideas and well wishes!

Feb 19, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Georgie Girl

We have had about 4 excessive drooling episodes with Georgie Girl over the last 6 months. The 1st time we freaked out and took her to the Vet who hosed her mouth out sideways with a garden hose after checking for tooth or gum problems. She then suggested we give her a 10 mg prednisone in case of inflamation. Since then when it happens rinse her mouth out, give her a benedryl, get out the beach towels and let her drool it out and sleep. It subsides in a couple of hours. Personally, I think it is stomach discomfort.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Well, I spoke too soon all is not well with Charley. Yesterday afternoon he got loose bowels that were yellowish in color. Normal bowel volume. He also seems quiet after eating and doesn't want to play. When he attempts to go after the ball, it's two throws and he is done! That's not our Charley!

The vet was open today so I took him in again this afternoon. I was able to see the clinic owner. Charley's demeanor there was just fine -- go figure. The vet found a minor amount of bacteria in the stool sample, so they put him on metronidazole 250 mg and purina fortiflora probiotics. No X-ray, said tummy sounded fine. He checked Charley's mouth again, no issues. No temp either. If this round of meds doesn't work, he wants to do blood work. He said he didn't want to over-treat which I do respect.

He was also fine with starting to ease Charley back onto the acana lamb since he had done well on it. I gave him 2tbs of it tonight in his 1 cup of rice and chicken, along with the meds. So now he's back to too quiet and uncomfortable, just like after breakfast. Not interested in playing and wasn't much interested in his walk! Aargh! It hurts so much to see my fur baby feel this bad!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh no, was hoping he was all better now :(

Something is surely going on, your vet sounds very confident, and I hope whatever it is the new med works.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online