Re: Is this the precursor to bloat or something else? Any ideas?

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo

I would have the Vet do an X-Ray or an ultra sound just to make sure that your Charley is ok. It could be an obstruction,Please let us know how Charley is doing. Susan

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Well, I spoke too soon all is not well with Charley. Yesterday afternoon he got loose bowels that were yellowish in color. Normal bowel volume. He also seems quiet after eating and doesn't want to play. When he attempts to go after the ball, it's two throws and he is done! That's not our Charley!

The vet was open today so I took him in again this afternoon. I was able to see the clinic owner. Charley's demeanor there was just fine -- go figure. The vet found a minor amount of bacteria in the stool sample, so they put him on metronidazole 250 mg and purina fortiflora probiotics. No X-ray, said tummy sounded fine. He checked Charley's mouth again, no issues. No temp either. If this round of meds doesn't work, he wants to do blood work. He said he didn't want to over-treat which I do respect.

He was also fine with starting to ease Charley back onto the acana lamb since he had done well on it. I gave him 2tbs of it tonight in his 1 cup of rice and chicken, along with the meds. So now he's back to too quiet and uncomfortable, just like after breakfast. Not interested in playing and wasn't much interested in his walk! Aargh! It hurts so much to see my fur baby feel this bad!

I'd be asking for the barium x-ray. My girl had absolutely no signs of obstruction, but had a two inch rock in her stomachand I knew something was off due to her behavior.

I so hope it is a stomach bug or a food issue, but think about the x-ray just to rule out any serious issues.

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male

I just got off the phone with the vet since he isn't drinking much water at all. Stool sample yesterday had "spore forming rods", indicative of a bug. Loose bowels are now forming up and there is more spring in his step tonight. Hopefully now that he is on meds (albeit horrible ones), he'll be better soon. We're watching him like a couple of hawks though. So concerned there could be something in his tummy! Vets just find it hard to believe based on symptoms that there could be an obstruction.

Hey, he just brought the ball to us and is playing. Progress?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Could be progress, sure hope so!

Vets don't know bullies love for swallowing things whole like we do.... Until you pull a dangling item out yourself and try to fathom what it could be....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Charley seems to be doing a better. He's back to playing ball -- 3 times today! He even seems hungrier. I'd say he is now on the mend!

The probiotic the vet put him on short term is purina's fortiflora. Do any of you have a preferred probiotic and/or digestive enzyme? The guard hairs around his neck are thinning and it looks like it is starting on his head too. Another issue I never experienced with our previous bullies, though one also had allergies. I found a brand online from Nusentia that looks interesting, though expensive. Ever heard of this?

Thanks so much to all of you for your caring support! So thankful I've found this group.

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh, no! I gave Charley a touch of ACV in his water this a.m. He wouldn't touch it, so I dumped out most of it, added more water and a splash of chicken broth to cover any hint of the ACV. AARGH --What was I thinking!!! I've been concerned about chicken and fish and I just gave him chicken! To confuse matters, we also cleaned his ears this am, which he hates. 2 hours later, Charley is now drooling and feeling uncomfortable/restless again. I just gave him a Pepcid and we are sitting on the couch together trying to settle. 😨

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Oh, no! I gave Charley a touch of ACV in his water this a.m. He wouldn't touch it, so I dumped out most of it, added more water and a splash of chicken broth to cover any hint of the ACV. AARGH --What was I thinking!!! I've been concerned about chicken and fish and I just gave him chicken! To confuse matters, we also cleaned his ears this am, which he hates. 2 hours later, Charley is now drooling and feeling uncomfortable/restless again. I just gave him a Pepcid and we are sitting on the couch together trying to settle. 😨

Awe is he okay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

So far so good. He had a nap, then begrudgingly went out for a walk. Came back full of energy. This is definitely tummy related. Could that small amount of chicken broth really do it? Hopefully there won't be any issues this week. If so, I'll introduce a few bites of chicken and wait to see what happens. I hope it is the chicken! That's fairly easy to resolve.

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Ok, Charley's tummy is still upset. Drooling after dinner. He is now asleep on the couch, so I didn't have to use Pepcid.

He's been 100% fine until this a.m. I've had him on 1/2 tsp coconut oil &1 cup acana lamb & apple each meal this week. Bowels & energy were fine this afternoon. So, this pain, while gi related, isn't from the bacterial infection. I'm really stumped. I hate seeing him hurt.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Ok, Charley's tummy is still upset. Drooling after dinner. He is now asleep on the couch, so I didn't have to use Pepcid.

He's been 100% fine until this a.m. I've had him on 1/2 tsp coconut oil &1 cup acana lamb & apple each meal this week. Bowels & energy were fine this afternoon. So, this pain, while gi related, isn't from the bacterial infection. I'm really stumped. I hate seeing him hurt.

Maybe be give the Pedcid before the meal and see if there is a difference?

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I will likely him the Pepcid pre-meal in the morning. This bout isn't too bad. He's sleeping through the pre oscar show. I sure wish I knew the cause! Not likely the food or the infection. 😒

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

I will likely him the Pepcid pre-meal in the morning. This bout isn't too bad. He's sleeping through the pre oscar show. I sure wish I knew the cause! Not likely the food or the infection. 

could just end up being a sensitive stomach.... my boy had it for a few years too, then it just stopped

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

I can tell you I just went through this exact scenario with Brutus. This is how it started: Brutus was not acting like himself, cranky and did not want to play, eat, or really drink. I called the vet and set up appt. The night before the apt, he starts vomiting. I panic and take him immediately to the vet the next day. They do an xray and tell me he has a bacterial infection and what they think is a partial obstruction because they see "debris" on the xray. OK Brutus has to stay in the hosp. overnight. I pick him up the next day and he has not vomited since I brought him in the day before. He goes home on antibiotic and Famotadine (which is similar to Pepcid) and Reglan to stop vomiting. He does well. I switch his food to an Ocean blend because the vet says he is allergic to the animal protein in the other foods. OK. He is ok for a couple of days, but he doesn't really want to eat and is still irritable. Now he starts vomiting profusely and I am beside myself. I call the vet and tell him and he is all like "oh this is not good" He's going to have to come back and be put in IV's! Can you say mega$$$ by now, besides the overnight stay and all that involved and the mutli foods I have tried, I put the brakes on and told him I think it is food related and not anything obstructed and I insisted on putting him on the prescription food we had talked about at our prior visit. Brutus has done wonderful on the new food. No itching, no ear infections, no vomiting, and poo issues, and no interdigital cysts. I really believe if there is no evidence of obstruction, it is food related, and maybe you should discuss a prescription food for Charley. Brutus is not on any antacid or anti nausea meds at this time and fingers crossed is thriving!! It is worth the discussion.

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION]. Which prescription food did you put Brutus on? We've talked about that too and that could be a next step. I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Charley didn't vomit, "just" the hyper salivation and general malaise. Vet hasn't X-rayed or done blood work because he thought it was likely the bacterial infection. I've given Charley Pepcid before both meals today and he seems to be doing well. Poop is fine. I wonder if he is incredibly sensitive to chicken. I put a splash of chicken broth in his water yesterday a.m. Since has hasn't been drinking much. I've been diligent in keeping him off chicken, but obviously wasn't thinking. If all is well this week, I'll give him a few bites of chicken next weekend to see how he reacts. We're also trying to be diligent about not playing after eating. We were pretty active yesterday morning. Too many variables.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack

Thanks @2BullyMama and @brutus77. Which prescription food did you put Brutus on? We've talked about that too and that could be a next step. I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Charley didn't vomit, "just" the hyper salivation and general malaise. Vet hasn't X-rayed or done blood work because he thought it was likely the bacterial infection. I've given Charley Pepcid before both meals today and he seems to be doing well. Poop is fine. I wonder if he is incredibly sensitive to chicken. I put a splash of chicken broth in his water yesterday a.m. Since has hasn't been drinking much. I've been diligent in keeping him off chicken, but obviously wasn't thinking. If all is well this week, I'll give him a few bites of chicken next weekend to see how he reacts. We're also trying to be diligent about not playing after eating. We were pretty active yesterday morning. Too many variables.

Brutus is on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic, hydrolized food. What made me think it could be the same thing is that Brutus got a bacterial infection in his tummy from it being so upset and from the allergic reaction. It is only a 2 star food, but at this point I don't care because it is the only thing he can eat.

Members online

No members online now.