Conserned

Sandra

Feb 13, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carl
Hello everyone,
My name is Sandra and I just adopted a 2 year old English bulldog named Carl. I have never owned one but am trying to do everything I've learned and advise I've gotten from bulldog owners. My main concern is that he has what is called a Cherry eye on his right eye, I asked the previous owners about it and was answered with it's common in bulldogs and it doesn't bother him and it does not cause him any pain...... He has a vet check up on Saturday I am so scared that its going to be something serious. Also seems like theprevious owners never took him to get nails trimmed. When I asked about his shot record was told they would get back with me that all he needed was a rabies vaccine which is due and he has never been on any heartworm meds... Please someone help.... Am I overly worried?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hi Sandra! First off I would like to say :welcome: to you and Carl!

Cherry eye is very common in bullies, and it can be removed but it is usually only a cosmetic issue unless it becomes irritated or infected. You can slowly work the nails back with weekly trims, but it will take much time to train the quiks backwards, but with a good clipping schedule they can, believe it or not, go back to where they should be. A dremmel would work best since you can get down to the quik without actually cutting it.

I would just get him current on all vaccines and meds he needs. They will likely want to perform a heartworm test before giving heartworm pills.

Here is some articles on cherry eye and nail trimming, hope they will help!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?406-Nail-Clipping-Dremel-What-you-need-to-know

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?398-Cherry-eye-what-is-it-and-how-to-treat-it

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Sandra, I don't think you are being overly worried, you just care a lot. Carl is a great name for a bully!! :welcome: to EBN

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
:welcome2: Sandra and carl.

I don't think your over worrying you are just a caring Mumma for Carl

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Hi and welcome! The name Carl (always wanted to name a big fat cat Carl) is what inspired the name of my boy, Winslow! :D

I don't think you are overly worried, but I would certainly have all your questions written down when you get to the vet! Good luck. I'm sure carl is in good hands. :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:hiya: :welcome3: to EBN!! So glad you found us, as Lisa has posted and given you all the info you need for ther cherry eye.

Thank you for giving Carl a new loving home, sounds like he really needed you to find him. Ask away on anything you want, we are all here to help and support you so Carl can be a healthy, happy bully boy!

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
:smileywelcome: to EBN! So happy to hear that you were able to give Carl a loving home. You have received some great advice above and you will be a great Mom to Carl :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.