Allergies issues

Road8514

Feb 11, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hey guys and gals!
New here and have our first bulldog! She is great her name is Lola. Our issue is she seems to have some major allergy issues. We have tried to get her on basic food( wellness simple salmon and potato) and basic treats. Neither seemed to fix the issue. Can most vets do an allergy test and do they look for many different things? We have had issues with vets just prescribing drugs after drugs with one of our other dogs who we lost. This make us very hesitant on drug options as we believe the excess drugs with our other dog was the cause of death. We would prefer to use a natural remedy if possible. But we want what will be best for Lola. I tired of her red eyes and her scratching them and licking her paws a lot. She has a lot of spunk and is a great dog I just want her to be more comfortable and do what we can to help. Any info would be great.
Thanks again

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
:welcome: to the site. Vets can do allergy testing but it will just give you a based line and is not always 100% accurate nor does it catch everything they could be allergic to. A lot of bullies allergies are food related whether they are allergic to various grains, veggies or proteins. It could be that your Lola is allergic to the salmon the potato or both. You may have to try several different foods before you find the right one that she can tolerate as what works for one bully may not work for another. Also, please remember they have sensitive tummy's so if you do go with a food switch to do it slowly over a 10 to 20 day period to give her time to adjust and that it can take up to a month for the old food to get out of her system. In our case my Harlea has a mild allergy to salmon and salmon oil which causes her to get a bit itchy and have horrible tear stains and is currently eating Fromm's grain free game bird and is doing wonderful on it.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Welcome to EBN! Many of the bullies on here suffer from allergies and potato seems to be one that causes many issues. Most everyone here feeds a grain free kibble. We currently use Fromm's Beef Frittata and Mayhem is doing well on that. Check out our Dog Food Ratings page, where the foods are star rated and you can learn more about how to read the food labels. Fruitables are a treat that seem to work well for many as well. You can also try raw carrots, peanut butter stuffed Kongs, etc.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi there and Welcome to EBN! You came to the right place for tips and advice on bullies! The vets can do a allergy test (blood) and determine the sensitivity to certain foods or environmental things for your pup! I am the same way with meds for us and pups!!! Once you have the allergy test back it would be easy for you to have it under control! We also feed From and it's a great dog food brand with different flavored and grain free! Most bullies are allergic to rice and chicken but not all! What works for some doesn't work for all! We are here to help :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi there and Welcome to EBN! You came to the right place for tips and advice on bullies! The vets can do a allergy test (blood) and determine the sensitivity to certain foods or environmental things for your pup! I am the same way with meds for us and pups!!! Once you have the allergy test back it would be easy for you to have it under control! We also feed From and it's a great dog food brand with different flavored and grain free! Most bullies are allergic to rice and chicken but not all! What works for some doesn't work for all! We are here to help :)

[MENTION=11097]Road8514[/MENTION] ^^^^ agreed!

OP
R

Road8514

Feb 11, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Thanks for all the help. We are going into the vet tomorrow and will her tested to see what we can find. We will then start playing with food options from there.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks for all the help. We are going into the vet tomorrow and will her tested to see what we can find. We will then start playing with food options from there.

Hey just wondering how Lola is doing? How did it go at the vet?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.