Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Cyndi, I am sorry that Mayhem is not feeling well. I have had dogs who had seizures, both Grand Mal and Petit Mal. When in a grand mal, it got very violent, lasted quite awhile-but have never had them making sounds as you describe. I hope he just had a bad dream, and all will be okay. I know you must have been terrified, as I and everyone else would be. We will be praying for your boy. Hopefully it will NEVER happen again-but I was going to suggest also-that you video if it does.

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
He didn't move or shake during the episode, just had his mouth open and was making the horrible sound, so again, I am hoping that it is an isolated incident. I honestly thought he was dying....I know that sounds harsh, but with all of his issues lately, I just automatically jump to worst case scenario. With this in mind, I didn't video the episode, but I will try and do it if it happens again.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], unfortunately no cultures grew from the specimen, which indicates a non-bacterial infection, but not conclusive. At this time, he is taking the three medications and is feeling good. He goes back for a second round of digital images a week from today. They will send these to the radiologist for comparison to the initial images. If there is improvement, he will continue taking the medications. If not, the prognosis is not good :(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I will be praying for your boy. I don't know how, but I didn't realize that he has been sick. That would make his screaming even more scary. Poor fella', I hope with all my heart that he is improving-and that he doesn't have another "episode" like that. I have unfortunately seen quite a few seizures, but never what you described. Prayers for a good result on his x rays. Oh, I Just remembered that I did have a dog once that started howling in the middle of the night. Scared the heck out of me-I jumped up and put the light on, and she was sound asleep-must have been dreaming.I had to wake her to stop the howling. It never did happen again. Maybe Mayhem had a bad dream. Let's hope.

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm sorry to be reading this. I pray it is an isolated incident. Good wishes and hugs are being sent your way.

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
Hope it was just an awful dream. Sometimes when Holly is napping/snoring her socks off, she will make a loud high pitching noise, her whole body will shake as she breathes in and out and she will typically wake up immediately. It's really creepy, sounds like she can't breathe.

My baby nephew, who is no longer with us, had seizures and his episodes were more physically graphic than what you described. I don't know if that means anything but just thought I would share. Holly would like to send a big bully hug to Mayhem :hug:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I'm sure that scared the heck out of you Cyndi. It seems to me a good sign that there were no shakes or convulsions that went along with it. Praying for you guys that it was just a dream..I am assuming he's been fine since?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Just getting here. I've done years and years of research and I've never heard of a seizure looking or sounding like this. Definitely get video. Keep you camera charged and ready at all times. I'm hoping it was a one time thing.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
:( When Punks had that one seizure, he stayed still shaking, but didn't make a sound.

I'm hoping it was just a nightmare.

raetate

Jan 5, 2014
virginia beach, va
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hercules
[MENTION=8824]mavsfan4life[/MENTION] I'm so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and I do hope he gets better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Thanks everyone! Mayhem did fine last night and we had no indications that things weren't normal. However, this morning he is limping slightly. Can dogs get like "charlie horses"? I almost wonder if it was some type of severe muscle cramp during his sleep yesterday and now the muscle is tight and sore? I am just baffled by all of this, but I do appreciate all of your kind words and support :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Thanks everyone! Mayhem did fine last night and we had no indications that things weren't normal. However, this morning he is limping slightly. Can dogs get like "charlie horses"? I almost wonder if it was some type of severe muscle cramp during his sleep yesterday and now the muscle is tight and sore? I am just baffled by all of this, but I do appreciate all of your kind words and support :)
I bet that is what was happening. I know when I get a really bad muscle tighening/cramp it hurts like a you know what!!!! Poor baby. Give him lots of loving today.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree… poor Mayhem, I hope they can figure out what is going on w/him soon!!! This must be so frustrating for you… :(

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I do too!!!! His limp is worse when he has been laying down for a while. Poor baby! I will monitor him today and if it gets worse, I guess we will go to the vet again tomorrow. I just know that he is tired of being poked and prodded.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I would certainly think that dogs can get leg cramps. I get them alot-and my muscles are sore for days afterwards. I have been told that low magnesium/potassium can be the cause, but I also think it is hereditary, as others in my fam. get them. Maybe some of the meds he is on ? Look up on internet? Best Wishes for the little fella' (and you):blowkiss:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.