mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Please disregard any typos, as I am shaking as I type this. Mayhem was asleep in his crate (door open, he just likes to nap in there). I was sitting about 10' away, when I heard the most awful noises coming out of him. I'm not sure if any of you have ever been around cattle, but it sounded like a cross between a cow calving (giving birth) and a cat caught in a trap.....almost indescribable. I ran to him and started rubbing him and talking to him. He didn't paddle his legs or move in any way, just had his mouth open and made these horrible sounds. It seemed like it lasted a very long time, but in reality, I think it was about 60 seconds. He then got out of his crate and just put his head on my chest. Now he is back asleep.

Some of you know about the severe health issues that Mayhem has been experiencing. Due to a lung infection he is currently taking an antibiotic (Cipro), a steroid (Prednisone) and a diuretic (Furosemide).

I just spoke to a vet (his normal vet is off today) and she said that none of the current medications or health issues he is experiencing would be the cause of this. She also stated that it sounded like a possible seizure, but without seeing him she couldn't be positive.

Have any of you had an experiences with anything like this?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh man, that's scary! I've heard Buster make some really loud noises when he was sound asleep and he runs like a rabbit in his sleep too. If he wasn't shaking I don't know if it would be a seizure.

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Oh man, that's scary! I've heard Buster make some really loud noises when he was sound asleep and he runs like a rabbit in his sleep too. If he wasn't shaking I don't know if it would be a seizure.

It was the most horrible sound I have ever heard....honestly :(

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well I'm not familiar with seizures, but I have seen some in deep sleep, dreaming and making weird sounds and moving. They are super hard to wake up from this too. My Beagle used to do that, and I would have to shake her and call her name for a while before she would wake up. I hope that's all it is.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
OH i'm so sorry.
Ruthie is epileptic, she has never made noises but she freezes up like you had mentioned. Keep an eye on him. When and if he seizes again, stay calm and hold him. It helps me to pet ruthie and say her name until she comes out of it. He will be tired and need water. I would take him to the vet immediately if it happens again. I'm so sorry you are having this issue. Hopefully it's just a one time occurrence.

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Thanks everyone! I had Pomeranian many years ago that had occasional seizures, but it was nothing like this. With everything that has been going on with him, I am so scared all of the time. The vet did say to bring him in if this happened again......I will be praying that isn't necessary. I am hoping that is was just some strange "dream" like [MENTION=6717]pdolphin27[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] suggested :)

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
I don't have experience with seizures in my bullies but Nicky is my friends bully and she has seizures. They started back in Aug/Sept 2012 and we made a schedule to determine how many days apart the seizures where. At first, they were 30 days apart but became more frequent and finally they took Little Nicky to the vet. The vet put Nicky on a very low dose of medicine and she has not had a seizure for over 30 days now so they are going to slowly ween Nicky off the medication and hopefully she will remain off the medication but if she starts back seizing the vet has already warned they would have to keep her on medication. So, my advice would be to keep a log of date and times of the seizures as well as foods and anything else so you will have it just in case you have to go down the same road my friend did. Hopefully, it was a bad dream or an isolated incident. Good luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I don't have experience with seizures in my bullies but Nicky is my friends bully and she has seizures. They started back in Aug/Sept 2012 and we made a schedule to determine how many days apart the seizures where. At first, they were 30 days apart but became more frequent and finally they took Little Nicky to the vet. The vet put Nicky on a very low dose of medicine and she has not had a seizure for over 30 days now so they are going to slowly ween Nicky off the medication and hopefully she will remain off the medication but if she starts back seizing the vet has already warned they would have to keep her on medication. So, my advice would be to keep a log of date and times of the seizures as well as foods and anything else so you will have it just in case you have to go down the same road my friend did. Hopefully, it was a bad dream or an isolated incident. Good luck!!!

Thanks! I will begin keeping a log.....just in case!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Cyndi I don't have any experience with seizure at all but I am praying it is just a dream and all will be well with Mayhem.

Ftse often jumps about in his sleep but has not made any noises.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It was the most horrible sound I have ever heard....honestly :(

Buster will bark in his sleep and it's under his breath so his mouth is closed, one night he was doing it so loud and so long it honestly sounded like he was laughing!

OP
mavsfan4life

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Mayhem's mouth was open and it sounded like he was in absolute agony :( I just hope that it never, ever happens again!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem's mouth was open and it sounded like he was in absolute agony :( I just hope that it never, ever happens again!!

Me too, I'm sorry, we were owned by a French Bulldog once and he was diagnosed with epilepsy and the first time that he had a seizure it scared me beyond belief. I know exactly how you feel and I truly hope it was a bad dream and that's all.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I'm so sorry. I just hope it's nothing. Dudley makes noises in his sleep all of the time. I've woken him up, because he has scared me sometimes. Right now, he's napping in his crate and he is moaning in his sleep. I always worry about him too. Sending good thoughts!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my gosh Cyndi, I'm just now reading this… I've been at the doctor's office all dang day. I'm so sorry, I don't have any experience w/seizures… my bullies have always made noises in their sleep, but nothing to that extent. I'm hoping that it was just a bad dream too. Next time if it happens again just have your phone handy to video tape it. Did they ever figure out what Mayhem has, did the biopsy results come back yet? Gosh I'm so sorry, you keep going thru more stuff… just hang in there girl!!! :hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online