Chester has his 2nd ear infection...

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I am not quite sure if bullies are prone to ear issues (like my cocker spaniel used to be :down: ) but, he seems to have another one. Does anyone have a bully that is prone to them, and is there anything you do to prevent them?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Lucky us, Vegas is 18 months old and we have only had one, but I have read so many stories on this site that they are, I am sure you will get your answer.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I don't know if they are prone to them but Samson got his first one in April at 4 years old and it never went away until recently. We had oral antibiotics and 2 different drops but it always came back. [MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] was having reoccuring ear infections with her Linus and she read potatoes can help grow yeast. So she switched to Natures Variety which is the only food I know of thats grain and potato free. Well after she told us how Linus hasn't had an ear infection since the switch I decided to try it as well. Well its been over a month and Samson has been infection free ever since. The first month he has spent without an ear infection since April. I feel bad that it went so long.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Stiggy's left ear was infected a couple of months ago. But the vet said that it was most likely a secondary reaction to his allergies. He only gave us drops for it. But I do find that that ear needs to be cleaned every couple of days because it can get really really dirty, while his right ear only every month or so. Maybe very regular cleaning helps? But it's likely that it's food related as well. After stopping all of Stiggy's treats he's been allergy and ear infection free ever since.

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
They gave Beefy restortin for his ear infection and i put that it it once a week even though he has no infection now.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@BruceP - With Stiggy, the inside of his ear turned red, or just more pinkish than the other. It also had a 'hairy' feeling to it. He started to scratch there often too. I heard a distinct smell is not unusual but his didn't have any odour at all.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] With Samson it didn't smell at all. His ears are never normally dirty because I clean them on a regular basis but when I looked one day the one ear was much dirty than the other, rusty colored dirtiness. When I tried to wipe some of the "dirty" away he cried, he has a very high pain tolerance and never cries so I knew something was wrong, it was an ear infection. They will always scratch their ear and shake their head alot too.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie used to get the occasional ear infection, but since we changed her food to FROMM we have been ok!!! :up:

Does anybody on here use the 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water mix to clean out their bullies ears?? I've heard about it so often but haven't dared try it yet. I know a lot of people say that using it to clean their ears just once a week and mean goodbye to any more ear infections!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am late to this but Linus suffered from a chronic ear infection for 10 months - mostly due to allergies and stress. He had yeasty ears, they were red and itchy, and when things got really bad, the were swollen and he was absolutely miserable.

We tried EVERYTHING. Anti-fungals, anti-yeast, anti-biotic - and it kept coming back. Until we changed foods. I put Linus on Nature's Variety Instinct, which is grain AND potato free, and he has done beautifully on it and hasn't had an infection since.

One of the things I try to be very careful with is getting his ears wet (be sure to dry them out after and clean them) and making sure I clean them, even when they look good, at least once a week. I use GlenHaven F/10 Solution to keep them squeaky clean.

I hope Chester is feeling better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online