AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
Hello friends,

For the past few months I've been trying to introduce my 10mo bully Gino to new foods, esp fruits and veggies. But he is having the hardest time tolerating foods. Within a day of giving him Cauliflower he broke out in bumps, excessive shedding to where he has bald spots, and itchy paws. I stopped Cauliflower and gave him Benadryl 1mg per pound. When that cleared up I tried Blueberries but got the same allergic reaction. Gave him benadryl until the symptoms subsided. Then I tried Colby-Jack cheese, but again same symptoms appeared so he got benadryl again. We have given him Frosty Paws as a treat in the past and seemed to do fine with that. But he didnt get any for the month of December and when we gave it to him in January he got bumps, bald spots, and itchy paws. Currently i bought him a Blue Buffalo Antler Chew and I have notice a few bumps appearing even though he's had antlers before and did fine with it. But again he didnt have an antler chew for sometime for whatever reason.

Is this all just the battle of allergies for the bulldog breed or am I dealing with something else? Is there anything I can do to help with allergies other than Benadryl? I want him to enjoy different foods, I don't want him to only have his Fromms kibble and Dog Butter for the rest of his life.

Any suggestions or comments is much appreciated. Thank you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Holy cow.... never experienced something so diverse. Nothing you mention would be similar to cause the same reaction. going to tag a few members to see if they have any ideas or suggestions

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello So sorry and confused to hear about your Gino. That is a odd that he has reaction to such diverse things. You say he is fine with only getting his dog food? He never had any problems until you started to give something other than his regular food? Could it be coincidence with-- Could it be carpet, or detergents or something you bathed him in? grass? I am guessing that you have considered the other options. I am sorry, I can't be of much help. I have not had too much experience(thank goodness) so far with allergies. Have you tried giving him some plain, active culture yogurt? If he does okay with that-it would be a good treat, and it's good for their digestion. Try just a tsp. and see how he does. My dogs get yogurt and a powdered supplement on food. Sorry I can't be of help, but someone with allergies experience will be here soon.
[h=3]
icon1.png
Article: English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention[/h]

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I've had bullies w/allergies, but not to this extent… I know that you can also use Zyrtec for bullies, because it was recommended to me by our vet. I agree w/Lynn… have you thought about whatever he comes in contact with bedding, carpet, furniture?!! Seems crazy that he would be so allergic to different foods like that.

OP
AlphaOfGino

AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
Holy cow.... never experienced something so diverse. Nothing you mention would be similar to cause the same reaction. going to tag a few members to see if they have any ideas or suggestions

Hello So sorry and confused to hear about your Gino. That is a odd that he has reaction to such diverse things. You say he is fine with only getting his dog food? He never had any problems until you started to give something other than his regular food? Could it be coincidence with-- Could it be carpet, or detergents or something you bathed him in? grass? I am guessing that you have considered the other options. I am sorry, I can't be of much help. I have not had too much experience(thank goodness) so far with allergies. Have you tried giving him some plain, active culture yogurt? If he does okay with that-it would be a good treat, and it's good for their digestion. Try just a tsp. and see how he does. My dogs get yogurt and a powdered supplement on food. Sorry I can't be of help, but someone with allergies experience will be here soon.
icon1.png
Article: English Bulldog Allergies- Information, Treatment and Prevention

I've had bullies w/allergies, but not to this extent… I know that you can also use Zyrtec for bullies, because it was recommended to me by our vet. I agree w/Lynn… have you thought about whatever he comes in contact with bedding, carpet, furniture?!! Seems crazy that he would be so allergic to different foods like that.

Thank you all for the input. For his itchy paws we thought grass might have added to the problem so we try to wipe his paws when he comes in. It actually got to the point were it was very raw between his toes and I had to soak his paws in Epsom salt as well as put a cone on him to keep him from licking himself. It has improved greatly with those two remedies.

I never thought of him having a reaction to carpet, detergents, or soap, or anything like that only because none of that has changed. I think these foods cause him these symptoms because they are the only thing changing in his life. He does like to lick dirt off the floor and the gout between tiles, so maybe that could be it too. But i swear these symptoms pop up literally the next day of eating something new.

Ive seen other bully parents adding yogurt to the diets so I do want to try that. Maybe that will be the next ill have him try once these current bumps from his antler subside.

I also thought maybe I'm making him try new things too quickly. Like I'm not waiting long enough for symptoms to fully go away before I introduce him to something new.

But again thanks for the input.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I would highly recommend getting him allergy tested! I did that with BUbba and it just takes away the guessing game! Good luck!

OP
AlphaOfGino

AlphaOfGino

Sep 8, 2013
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gino
I would highly recommend getting him allergy tested! I did that with BUbba and it just takes away the guessing game! Good luck!

i think i'm going to have too.. cant continue experiencing on him like this. cant imagine how itchy he can get.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Made a huge difference with me! Found out he is allergic to lamb, which I had been feeding him, grass, dust, polen, salmon, peas, to name a few. :) It was really tough to find a found without any peas in it!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.