URGENT!!! Mange?

JamesFletcher97

Feb 6, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Ever since around about a month ago my English Bulldog named George (almost 1 years old) has continued to lose his fur in patches on his back. The skin itself is seen to be rough and mildly inflamed at times although it doesn't tend to bother him much. Despite this, the situation has progressively gotten worse and we have visited the vets on numerous occasions who has taken a skin scrape and informed us that their are mites present but not an excessive amount. She also handed us some antibiotics and Malacetic antibacterial shampoo. Having finished the course of antibiotics Georges' skin is still yet to improve. The shampoo has helped remove the dry, flakiness of his skin but there is still little fur growth and new patches of fur loss being found every now and then. We are really confused and worried about Georges condition and hope someone could be helpful enough to give us some guidance. I will provide a picture below and any feedback would be much appreciated :)

IMG_0555.jpg

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
Excessive or not they need to treat it with something more than antibiotics!! Bella had this on her head when she was a year old every two weeks for three moths we had to take her in to be dipped after that third month last dip it never returned, cant remember the proper term, but so i could understand the vet called it red mange!! Poor sweet George!! keep us updated

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my goodness, poor George!!! I'm so sorry for your baby… I really don't know if this is mange or not, I've never had to deal w/it. Our Bella would lose patches of fur, but not to that extent. She had allergy issues, and when we changed her food her skin would clear up. I will tag some members to see what they advice… Good luck & keep us posted!!!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Oh poor George. I hope he feels better fast. Have you taken him back to the vet yet after the initial visit?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh my goodness.... poor George! Welcome top EBN..... I have no experience with mange, but others her have and will be along shortly. Has the vet talked about Ivertmin (spelling?) it is usually prescriped for mange.

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
Oh my goodness! Poor George!!

Mayhem had demodectic mange when he was about 3 months old. It never was as severe as your pic, as his vet was able to diagnose right away. The vet prescribed weekly baths with a medicated shampoo for 6 weeks, an oral liquid medication (Mectin) that was administered for 6 weeks and 14 days of antibiotics (Simplicef). After the treatment his fur grew back and we have never had any additional issues. Here is a pic of a few spots on his back when it first started:

Mayhem - Mange 7-19-13.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Never had a case of mange but have seen many cases on EBN.

That looks like maybe there is more than just mange going on here.... maybe fungal (ringworm?) on top of the mange....do you have another vet you can go to for a second opinion? Surely the meds given to you were NOT going to fix a mange issue-- especially one that is progressing like this.

OP
J

JamesFletcher97

Feb 6, 2014
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
George
We really appreciate all you're fast responses and concerns shown towards Georges skin complaint within the past day. The previous picture I posted in the thread was one from around about 2 weeks ago and as of now we believe the severity of the condition has slightly improved with a small amount of new fur growth beginning to take place. Down below ill post a picture of how his back looks at the minute!. As for the treatment we feel its best to finish the course of antibacterial shampoo and assess then situation from there. If further attention is needed we will undoubtedly be revisiting the vets for further examinations.

Apart from this, George is a very happy, healthy and playful Bulldog who we love to pieces despite the fact he's growing into a big beast hahaha! :D:D:D

Attachments

• IMG_0588[1].jpg
    IMG_0588[1].jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0451[1].jpg
    IMG_0451[1].jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 146

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If it is mange-it is usually treated with ivermectin. He may have had a skin infection, also. I hope he is getting better!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We really appreciate all you're fast responses and concerns shown towards Georges skin complaint within the past day. The previous picture I posted in the thread was one from around about 2 weeks ago and as of now we believe the severity of the condition has slightly improved with a small amount of new fur growth beginning to take place. Down below ill post a picture of how his back looks at the minute!. As for the treatment we feel its best to finish the course of antibacterial shampoo and assess then situation from there. If further attention is needed we will undoubtedly be revisiting the vets for further examinations.

Apart from this, George is a very happy, healthy and playful Bulldog who we love to pieces despite the fact he's growing into a big beast hahaha! :D:D:D

What a great looking boy.... they sure do love the fireplace!! Good luck with getting him heathy... please keep us posted!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's a wonderful fireplace picture, He looks so happy. I so hope that he gets better.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What a handsome boy! It does look like it's getting a bit better, paws crossed it keeps doing so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jassimoo

Feb 6, 2014
Colorado
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stanlee
Stanlee was diagnosed with demodectic mange (generlized) and was given ivermicin and a shampoo. He has been on his treatment for 30 days and his last visit saw NO mites,yay! He needs to finish the ivermicin but other than that he is fine. He is still red and hair is still missing so I decided to give him a grain free diet,still too early to tell but hopefully he will get less red and his coat will be back to normal.

I would def ask your vet about ivermicin since that's the only treatment out there. I hope your babe gets better soon!
I also give him fish oil (1000 mg)and vitamin e (400 iu) it's great for everyday to promote healthy skin and he just takes the same ones I take!

Cyndi

Aug 7, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Champ (English), CeCe (Frenchie)
Champ was diagnosed with Demodex mange three weeks ago. It seems to be at a standstill. I am putting on the orange prescription medicine twice a day but the doctor has not suggested a special shampoo. What is the name of your shampoo and where can I get it? Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online