Well-tolerated Heartworm Treatment for English Bulldogs?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Unfortunately I am in Florida. Land of mosquitos. So I guess I need to poison my dogs blood with a pesticide that will protect him from heartworm. (seems so medieval doesn't it?)

Is there a brand that has been well tolerated? And when I say well tolerated, I mean you don't notice *any* behavioral changes after giving it. No extra sleeping. Lethargy. Nothing.

I gave Baxter his most recent dose of Comfortis for Fleas/Ticks and it completely ruined him for at least 3 days. He could barely keep his eyes open. I bet he had a splitting headache. I hate giving them these things.

Thanks.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
image.jpgimage.jpgWe use Revolution, it's a once a month treatment that comes in a vial that you break open and apply to the skin in between the shoulder blades in the back of the neck, so they can't reach it and lick it off. They get this once a month from June to October. It covers fleas, ticks, and heartworm. They have never had any side effects or illness after their treatments.

Last edited:

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm no good at this cos we don't have heart worm here but I do know Trifexis is true poison, it can also go under the name Panoramis... but you probably know that already:) just want to make sure:blush2:

BulldogMoma

Apr 15, 2013
South Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Morgan (born 5-28-2013) Clyde (2004-2012)
We use Heartguard Plus and Advantix II for Morgan. Heartguard Plus is a monthly chewable for the prevention of heart worms and other parasites. We gave it to all three of our bullies, never having any negative side effects. All three happily ate it as if it was a treat. With regard to flea/tick prevention, our vet recommended Trifexis for our current bullie Morgan. I tried it against my better judgement and NEVER AGAIN! After finally getting him to take it, and believe me, it took some effort, it was obvious he felt terrible. He vomited several times and felt bad the following day. Our breeder had recommended the Advantix II and that has worked out great for Morgan, thankfully. The Advantix II is a monthly topical that is applied between the shoulder blades.
I wish there was something natural that would work for these issues as I, too, hate giving/applying poisons to my precious boy. On the other hand, I could not bare to have him suffer with heartworms, or some ailment I could have prevented. A catch twenty-two indeed.
One additional note... Comfortis and Trifexis have the same active ingredient. DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
There are some natural supplements that will deter fleas, but to my knowledge there isn't anything natural to prevent Heart worm, and I agree the alternative of not giving the medication is far worse if they were to contract Heart worm.

Natural ways to prevent fleas

Mar 09, 2012 11:00 AM by Alicia French
Posted in Pets & Animals / Dogs / Dog health & conditions
Rate this Article:

With spring comes warmer weather, fresh blooms and spring showers. Unfortunately for dogs and their owners, spring also brings flea season. Instead of resorting to chemical treatments, try these natural options to keep the bugs away.

KEEP THE FLEAS OFF
YOUR POOCH

Both flea ointments and flea collars are laden with chemicals -- they're designed to kill fleas, after all. When our dogs get fleas, we'll do just about anything to get rid of them, but placing a chemical collar around your dog's neck can have consequences of its own. Over the last five years, 1,600 pet deaths were attributed to flea treatments, according to The Humane Society. In addition, many of the ingredients in flea medications are known carcinogens in humans. If you have small children who come into contact with your pet, this could be of even more concern.

While pets dying from flea medication is a severe side effect, poisoning and allergic reactions are also possible. Some signs to watch for in your pets that may mean they have been poisoned include salivating, dilated pupils, tremors, vomiting, hiding, shivering and skin irritation. If you do decide to use such treatments, be sure to follow directions carefully and pay close attention to dosage requirements by weight.

Make your own spray

This method will not kill existing fleas or eggs but spraying it on your pet early in the year may help prevent fleas altogether. Fleas spend a lot of their time off their host, so this may help ensure they don't come back. Fleas are repelled by both lavender oil and citrus oil, both of which are natural and harmless to your dog. Lavender can be harmful for cats, however, so avoid using it on them. Lavender has a calming effect on dogs, so you may notice your dog is more relaxed.

Ingredients:

6 lemons
50 drops of lavender essential oil
3 cups of water

Directions:

Slice lemons into thin round slices with the skin intact. Add to a pot and fill with water. Bring water to a boil. Remove it from heat and let sit over night.
Strain the liquid into a spray bottle and add lavender oil.
Spray the mixture on your dog whenever he goes outside or after a bath. You can also spray or soak his collar in the mixture to make a flea collar of your own. The mixture can be sprayed on rugs, carpeting and furniture or even in your yard to prevent fleas from settling in from surrounding areas.

A healthy diet

Much like humans, if dogs are given a healthy and balanced diet they may be able to fight off diseases and pests naturally. Most commercial dog food is devoid of many of the nutrients your dog needs to properly combat all the toxins they are exposed to daily. Adding flaxseed oil, probiotics and digestive enzymes to your dog's diet may help boost her immune system and help her resist pests on her own. Other products to try include:

Garlic

Garlic can be toxic to dogs in large doses but small doses are safe. A small pinch in your dog's food can help fight fleas. The familiar smell of garlic is actually emanated through the skin, and fleas want nothing to do with it. (Don't worry, you won't even notice it.) It also helps support the liver and kidneys in your pet.

Apple cider vinegar

Apple cider vinegar offers a variety of health benefits for people and animals. It is packed with vitamins, minerals and nutrients and is especially helpful with skin issues. It also makes the skin more acidic, making it naturally less appealing to fleas.

Other topical remedies

Essential oils

Other than lavender, essential oils like peppermint, lemongrass, cedar and pennyroyal can help fend off fleas. Mix a few drops of 100 percent essential oils into a teaspoon of carrier oil like olive oil and rub on the top of your dog's neck or base of the tail. Most essential oils can be dangerous to pets in large doses so they should always be diluted; also avoid putting them in areas dogs can easily lick.

Rosemary

Fleas also dislike rosemary. Make a bath by steeping rosemary in 2 cups of boiling water. Let cool and add up to a gallon more of warm water. Pour over your dog and let him dry naturally.

Diatomaceous earth

Diatomaceous earth is basically ground-up algae, but it has an array of benefits and is specifically known for killing parasites internally. You should be sure that you purchase a food-grade version of DE or it could cause breathing problems and other serious side effects for both your dog and you. You can sprinkle a bit on her food or you can sprinkle it on her coat. DE has very sharp microscopic edges, which essentially lacerate any bugs that come in contact with it. You can also sprinkle this on your carpet, let it sit for at least 24 hours and then vacuum it up.

Wash with care

Avoid washing your dog regularly during flea season, as it can dry out his skin. Most fleas will generally survive a basic bath, so keeping bedding and surrounding areas flea-free is more effective. Vacuum carpeting, rugs and furniture often and dump bags or vacuum canisters immediately. Wash your dog's bedding in hot water regularly.

When you do wash your pet, try using lavender-scented soap. Let your pet get wet, add shampoo to his back and rub to cover his body, paying close attention to his "underarm" area and back end. Let the soap sit on him for at least 10 minutes. Again, fleas are very resilient and this likely won't kill eggs, but you may be able to kill adult fleas.

Talk with your veterinarian

Keep in mind that dogs can have allergies or reactions to both natural and chemical treatments. Begin treatments in small doses and pay close attention to any changes in your dog's behavior or appetite. Discuss any concerns you have with your veterinarian.

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have always given our bullies Heartgard Plus, and Frontline… never had an issue!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Heartworm wise we use Sentinal for Harlea. She gets it on the 1st of the month with her evening meals. Takes care of the fleas as well and she hasn't had or shown any type of adverse reaction to it and she has been on it since she was old enough to start getting it.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've been use Heartguard Plus for the last 6-9 months for heartworm and so far so good. For fleas we use Advantage II (but haven't since it got cold here).

BeeGee

Apr 26, 2013
Bryan, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula Belle & Big Chief
We tried Trifexis and it was horrible. We've been using Heartguard Plus for about 8 months with no problems.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I use K9 Advantix II only. I live in Florida too.

K9 Advantix II not only repels/kills flea and ticks it also repels/kills mosquitos so I don't bother with heartworm meds. My philosophy is - the more chemicals the dog is on, the higher the risk of adverse effect from the chemical cocktail which would make the point of lower risk of heartworm infection moot. I need flea and tick prevention for my dogs - so, I can't get out of that... might as well add in the mosquito repellant too.

My dogs are okay with the Advantix but there are immuno-suppressed dogs that may have adverse reactions to this. But then, they would have the same risk with anything else you use.

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
We use Sentinel and have never had a problem. Our boy does great on it! Good luck with your decision.
PS: I second the NO Trifexis use...bad stuff.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I've always used Heartguard Plus and Ruckus has had no bad reactions to it. However, it really depends on the dog. For example, I started off using Frontline for flea and tick prevention and we have to do it year round because it normally doesn't get cold enough where we are to kill everything off (except maybe this winter....polar vortex or whatever we're calling it). Ruckus would run around in circles like crazy right after I gave it to him and then he'd crash and act lethargic. I switched to Advantix and haven't had any issues with it at all.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online