Well-tolerated Heartworm Treatment for English Bulldogs?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
We tried Trifexis and it was horrible. We've been using Heartguard Plus for about 8 months with no problems.

My vet started Ace on trifexis. How was your experience that made it horrible? I'm wondering if I should ask him to change it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My vet started Ace on trifexis. How was your experience that made it horrible? I'm wondering if I should ask him to change it.

Trifexis has been known to KILL dogs… I don't know all the details on what happened, but I will tag @Libra926

This link may help...

Trifexis vs Sentinel

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Holy! I just found a thread on here about this. Heck no, I'm asking the bet to change it. I can already hear him..."why do you want to change"...I'm gonna have all my info ready on the next visit

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Holy! I just found a thread on here about this. Heck no, I'm asking the bet to change it. I can already hear him..."why do you want to change"...I'm gonna have all my info ready on the next visit

Apparently there is a page on FB too… I would google it and you can probably find more info. I have used Heartgard w/all my dogs, and have NEVER had an issue. Good Luck!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I just called the vets office to see what else they carried for heart work prevention. Considering some of the readings I've been doing from this site, I'm leaving more towards sentinel. They do carry it. The staff member asks me why I wanted to change it. I told her that within the past hour of reading up on trifexis, I've seen many horror stories. She then tells me that they meet with a rep monthly to go over the studies, concerns, etc. lol, whatever...I told her thank you, but I'm not comfortable leaving Ace on it. She politely said she respected that and it would be a good idea to give my concerns to the vet on Aces next follow up (2 weeks). I'm gonna take a file with a bunch of printouts in case he wants to talk me out of it :). Just tryin to protect my baby here, just like I would do with my children. Dumb me, didn't do the reading before giving him that first dose a few weeks ago, which I'm the type that usually reads up on everything. Glad I'm on this forum!!

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I just called the vets office to see what else they carried for heart work prevention. Considering some of the readings I've been doing from this site, I'm leaving more towards sentinel. They do carry it. The staff member asks me why I wanted to change it. I told her that within the past hour of reading up on trifexis, I've seen many horror stories. She then tells me that they meet with a rep monthly to go over the studies, concerns, etc. lol, whatever...I told her thank you, but I'm not comfortable leaving Ace on it. She politely said she respected that and it would be a good idea to give my concerns to the vet on Aces next follow up (2 weeks). I'm gonna take a file with a bunch of printouts in case he wants to talk me out of it :). Just tryin to protect my baby here, just like I would do with my children. Dumb me, didn't do the reading before giving him that first dose a few weeks ago, which I'm the type that usually reads up on everything. Glad I'm on this forum!!

Don't blame yourself, honestly you have NO idea how many times I've done the same. It's a shame that we have to GOOGLE everything that we do regarding our dogs because we can't trust anybody or any product!!! SMH...

BeeGee

Apr 26, 2013
Bryan, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula Belle & Big Chief
It just made her really off. She's a wild one and she just laid there for a couple of days- scared us. You could tell she felt bad and didn't want to eat/drink. With the heartguard - she acts like its just another treat and goes on about her business without a hitch. We do not have fleas- so we'll cross that bridge if ever the need arises.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

The staff member asks me why I wanted to change it. I told her that within the past hour of reading up on trifexis, I've seen many horror stories. She then tells me that they meet with a rep monthly to go over the studies, concerns, etc. lol, whatever.

It's a shame that we have to GOOGLE everything that we do regarding our dogs because we can't trust anybody or any product!!! SMH...

Yep. The shame is that we have to Google because Vets are meeting with *sales* reps from the companies trying to sell them the product, and get them to sell it to you. This is the standard protocol in most doctors offices. They push treatments, and scoff at other treatments, because they "meet with their rep" (its a person with a briefcase on rollers wearing a black business suit, you've seen them im sure). The discussion is pure marketing, not an unbiased analysis of the studies / concerns.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
whatever heart worm medication you choose to use, please remember not to overlap it with comfortis. heartworm meds contain ivermectin which reacts in a negative way with the main ingredient of comfortis, which is called spinosad.

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yep. The shame is that we have to Google because Vets are meeting with *sales* reps from the companies trying to sell them the product, and get them to sell it to you. This is the standard protocol in most doctors offices. They push treatments, and scoff at other treatments, because they "meet with their rep" (its a person with a briefcase on rollers wearing a black business suit, you've seen them im sure). The discussion is pure marketing, not an unbiased analysis of the studies / concerns.

I agree… and it's also happening w/people as well NOT just animals!!! SCARY :(

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Finally went to my vets last Friday and discussed about the concerns of trifexis. Of course, he went on saying that there are always risks. I understood that, but it seems that trifexis is causing too much damage vs good here. Long story short, ace is on heart guard plus and nex gard (fleas and ticks). I'm a little concerned cause nex gard is fairly new. Any one have their bullies on this?

Members online

No members online now.