Odd skin issue

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
5 year old Charley is losing his hair along the base of his neck. No irritation, no itchiness. Vet wasn't sure what was going on. It was about 2" for the longest time but is now getting longer and wider in the center. I think there might be a few more small patches staring on his head. It looks like tiny chunks of hair broke off.

He ate Blue Buffalo for about 4 years. I changed him from that last fall -- loose bowels and recurring fungus ear infection. Switched to acana and loose bowels cleared up. Still fighting the ear issue and have him on serious steroids/DMSO drops for that. After hearing about potatoes feeding yeast I have switched him to orijen chicken.

Any opinions? I'd sure appreciate your thoughts. Our previous bullies never got anything like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Our Duke has had so many skin issues.. we ended up taking him to a vet dermatologist. You mentioned you have him on steroids.. that could be reason for hair loss. Once we got Duke off the steroids his hair grew back..
Duke has severe allergies.. alot of times when they keep getting the ear infections and yeast build up it is a sign of allergies.

keep you eye on it..

:)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
In changing foods... w the protein always chicken? Lots of Bullies have issue with chicken , maybe try another protein?

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, the orijen grain free wasn't a great idea. Either that or the new fish oil caplets made him sick to his stomach to the point of excessive drooling and lethargy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The steroid is synotic and we need to use it twice a week for awhile since his ears are a bit inflamed, but not infected. I'm going to try a round of probiotics and digestive enzymes and hopefully that will ease the allergies and yeast. If not, we'll need to see a dermatologist.

I don't think either chicken or fish agree with him. Both were in the orijen food and when we put have to him on a bland diet of chicken and rice his bowels are always soft until I get him back on acana lamb or duck.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Puzzling and I think you've got a couple issues going on, one with his food
and perhaps another with steroids. Finding the right food might allow ear
infections to clear up and get off steroids. How about trying raw for him?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Well, the orijen grain free wasn't a great idea. Either that or the new fish oil caplets made him sick to his stomach to the point of excessive drooling and lethargy.

I'm giving Cami (and taking myself) coconut oil and eat avocado daily, both are great
sources of 'good fats' and great for skin/hair, etc and many other things. My 1st bully
was getting hairless spots and overall thinning down his back, an avocado based kibble
(Avoderm) thickened his fur unbelievably and brightened the white until it glowed. It
only took a couple of months, his former owner couldn't believe it!

He may well be allergic to fish, fish oil & chicken, try another protein source. Have you
tried Fromm's Pork & Peas?

OP
Sharon Mitchel

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Will be trying coconut oil once he gets off antibiotics. For now ear drops are twice per week -- i hate this!

How much coconut oil and avocado do you give Cami? I eat avocado all the time so could give him some too! I had a bullie on avoderm years ago but don't recall why we took her off it.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.