Q for the Experts on Cherry Eye (and Food Experts too)

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

Is there any evidence that cherry eye is correlated with food intake?
I know a lot of Bully's who are even baxters age, and have had one or two cherry eye surgeries already.
Yet his are 100% fine.

Cherry eye *seems* like an inflammatory condition to me, and as we all know, food intake is the #1 cause of systemic inflammation.
Is there any possibility that folks dealing with cherry eye might seriously consider a diet change?

Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Allergic reactions can cause cherry eye, so can stress, but usually if this happens they do go down.

True cherry eyes are due to a lack of stregnth in the third eyelid muscle. You can re-tuck it, but it will just come back out. The muscle is not strong enough or has too much elasticily. So I would say that a true cherry eye would not benefit from a diet change. However, cherry eye or not, a good diet should always be chosen.

#cherryeye

#dogfood

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
No. It's not an inflammatory condition at all. Just weak connective tissue.
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] said it much better than me :D

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with Lisa, a high quality nutritional dog food is always the best choice for your dog, as it will keep your dog healthier, stronger, and avoid a lot of diseases due to better nutrition and a stronger immune system. My two guys have been on Fromm's Beef since they were 6 months old, and Blossom developed cherry eye in both eyes, but Dozer did not develop cherry eye at all. They will both be 2 years old this month. They also get only natural treats, and fruits and vegetables, and we give them plain yogurt, salmon oil, and apple cider vinegar everyday since they were 5 months old.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.