Growth on gums

rattyfatty87

Feb 2, 2014
HUffman, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ratliff
I noticed that Ratty had some seriously kicking breath lately. I am not sure how to describe the smell. It's kind of sour, yet has a hint of a metal scent as well. Looked in his mouth the other day and noticed this. Ive done a bit of research and its either a tumor or hyperplasia? It doesnt seem to be affecting his eating or chewing. It will be a payperiod (about 2 weeks) before i can get him into a vet to get it checked out. Not too sure how concerned i should be, or if any of you have experience with this. Input pls!!!!
20140117_211157.jpg

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm worried he might have an infection going on, especially since you say there's a smell coming from his mouth. You could always take him to the vet this week, and put the visit on your credit card (?) That way no need to pay now but later.

OP
R

rattyfatty87

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ratliff
I'm worried he might have an infection going on, especially since you say there's a smell coming from his mouth. You could always take him to the vet this week, and put the visit on your credit card (?) That way no need to pay now but later.

I dont deal in credit cards. That is my problem. the only reason i am not horribly freaking out about it is that he doesnt care that its there. he eats normally, chews on everything like usual, and doesnt seem to mind me looking at it or messing with it. its just there and his breath is stinky.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Not sure what it is, but it doesn't look very good, I would definitely get him to the vet as soon as you can.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Sometimes gums can get discolored like that; for instance, my bully Finn has a black spot also. I'm looking at Ratliff's photo though and it looks like there might be a "bump" on his gums? hard to tell. The breath issue…is that a new thing with him? Of course you can continue to monitor him but if it looks worse or his gum starts bleeding, or if he stops eating and appears in pain, better to bring him in sooner than later, I think.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Please go to the vet. I have seen this before. I had baileys for 14 years and what looks to be exactly the same problem.
J x

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
If he is doing OK than GREAT! but I would get him to the vet as soon as you can! Just to be safe

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i can't see the pic but check for cracked teeth...these can lead to abscess and cause a real big infection

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
R

rattyfatty87

Feb 2, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ratliff
He is definitely going to the vet asap!! Its not something I want to wait on.

Jimmyjj.. what was it that the vet said about bailey?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH.... that looks to be painful! Please keep us posted on what the vet says

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:pray:Prayers for Ratliffe that it is nothing serious.Please let us know how it goes.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, it looks like it could be an infection, or maybe a cyst of some kind, the sour smell is probably from an infection, but a metal smell is usually a sign of blood, so he may have an abcess that has blood in it as well. You could try putting a little bit of hydrogen peroxide on it, maybe use a Q- tip to put it on the area, until you can get him to see the vet. I Hope it's nothing serious and he feels better soon. Please keep us posted.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.