Help Needed! 4.5 months old Sick when walking / exercised!?

Claire Thomas

Jan 5, 2014
Hi everyone - getting a little worried now!
Every time or nearly every time we walk she will be sick several
times, making a noise like she's clearing her throat ..
We wait at least 2hours to walk after food and at least an hour after a walk.

no other symptoms - not off food or quiet at all.

Walks are not high energy just 15 minute strolls.

has anyone else experienced this ? Not sure what to do as otherwise she is ok..

feel like i should feed feed her again as she's bought up all her stack contents on a daytime walk and more bile on a later walk?!

Worried mum x

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Not really sure what's going on here… let me tag some members to advice!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would take her to the vet, sounds like a possible a elongated pallet issue if it's not a virus. Either way, she should not be doing that and glad you posted here because it is a concern. How old is she?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm not sure what this could be either, other than I had this happen with me last summer with Dozer. I fed him first before his walk one morning, which I don't usually do, they always get fed after their morning walk. After he had breakfast, we went out for a walk, and he threw up his breakfast, and it had some foam or mucus mixed in it. I didn't know what caused it, but figured it was from feeding him first. It has never happened again. I'm not sure if that is the case with your bully. Does he vomit every time he walks? How often does this happen? I would definetely take him to the vet and have him check him out, to see if he can find a reason for this. Please keep us posted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Claire -- where do you live, it is hot there now? Could be palate issue or maybe a virus. Does he have a temperature?

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i was thinking palate issue as well. Lola would get like that after walks before her surgery. we felt more comfortable (i.e. not panicked and worried) not exercising her or letting her out to play when it was hot because she woudl take SO LONG to calm down afterwards. My husband said I was babying her but thank god I didn't listen to him. Mama knows best.

OP
Claire Thomas

Claire Thomas

Jan 5, 2014
Hi Thank you for replies. We are in England so the weather is not warm at all, although it's not freezing either. I have changed her harness as this has a chest plate bit that it thought maybe sitting against her throat! I have stopped feeding her in the mornings before walks. She doesn't stop and act sick, she'll do a noise like she's clearing her throat and then projectile vomit now just watery but before her morning feed.
she is 4.5months old and otherwise healthy - she plays actively with our bully mix and she doesn't do this when panting after play etc - and doesn't take long to calm down when panting. No temperature or anything else - she's eating normally and drinking normally. Just happens when on walk after about 10-15 mins - she's not stopping and heaving from her belly like when they are poorly - it's like clear throat,
projectile sick once twice maybe Upto 3 times.. She doesn't stop walking or in discomfort then I will stop with her a minute .. Generally not panting or overly hot from over excersion etc .. We are only walking for 20 mins at a time.. Waiting to feed her for at least an hour after walking .. Just changed to two feeds from three feeds a day.
this has been happening for a couple of weeks since we have been walking more actively.
I will take her to vets I think, although showing now other symptoms to tell them!?
Claire x

mavsfan4life

Bullshiht-zu
May 10, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mayhem
I have no experience with this, but I would definitely take her to the vet. Better safe than sorry :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Thank you for replies. We are in England so the weather is not warm at all, although it's not freezing either. I have changed her harness as this has a chest plate bit that it thought maybe sitting against her throat! I have stopped feeding her in the mornings before walks. She doesn't stop and act sick, she'll do a noise like she's clearing her throat and then projectile vomit now just watery but before her morning feed.
she is 4.5months old and otherwise healthy - she plays actively with our bully mix and she doesn't do this when panting after play etc - and doesn't take long to calm down when panting. No temperature or anything else - she's eating normally and drinking normally. Just happens when on walk after about 10-15 mins - she's not stopping and heaving from her belly like when they are poorly - it's like clear throat,
projectile sick once twice maybe Upto 3 times.. She doesn't stop walking or in discomfort then I will stop with her a minute .. Generally not panting or overly hot from over excersion etc .. We are only walking for 20 mins at a time.. Waiting to feed her for at least an hour after walking .. Just changed to two feeds from three feeds a day.
this has been happening for a couple of weeks since we have been walking more actively.
I will take her to vets I think, although showing now other symptoms to tell them!?
Claire x

I am just at a loss, what could that be? Wonder if there is something in the air that she is allergic to?
Please keep us posted, I am very curious to know what the casue may be.

Good luck --- positive thoughts heading to you both

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.