Help Needed! Throwing up Bulldog! Help me!

SullyTheBully

Aug 25, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sullivan
My bulldog's name is Sullivan and he is 9 months old. We were feeding Sully 3 times a day but then we lowered it to 2 times a day because he didn't seem to be eating quickly. We also changed flavors within the Fromm grain free brand of food. Now when we feed him in the morning he usually doesn't finish until about 2 and generally eats his dinner within an hour or two. For the past week or two he has been vomiting. In the beginning it was like yellow bile and we thought it was because he wasn't eating consistently but now he eats a little more regularly but will throw his food up at night sometimes or the next morning. He will randomly throw up slobber and yellow stomach bile still as well. Do you have any idea what it could be? Please help my poor baby!

Attachments

• sullythebully.jpg
    sullythebully.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 149

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
He may have swallowed something ( bit of a toy or a chew )
If he's constantly been sick for over 2 weeks I would take him straight to the vets
Hope he's ok

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keystnlabs

Dec 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agatha Gump
We just went through this with Agatha Gump and it was, indeed, a piece of a toy. Agatha threw up, only at night, for four nights. Finally she dislodged the culprit. Hopefully, your boy will do likewise although checking with your vet would be prudent.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My bulldog's name is Sullivan and he is 9 months old. We were feeding Sully 3 times a day but then we lowered it to 2 times a day because he didn't seem to be eating quickly. We also changed flavors within the Fromm grain free brand of food. Now when we feed him in the morning he usually doesn't finish until about 2 and generally eats his dinner within an hour or two. For the past week or two he has been vomiting. In the beginning it was like yellow bile and we thought it was because he wasn't eating consistently but now he eats a little more regularly but will throw his food up at night sometimes or the next morning. He will randomly throw up slobber and yellow stomach bile still as well. Do you have any idea what it could be? Please help my poor baby!

I would take him to the vet just to make sure it isn't some kind of blockage.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with everyone's suggestion that it could be a obstruction. I was going to say the same thing, vomiting, diarrhea and drooling are signs of ingesting something or an obstruction from swallowing something. Could Sullivan have swallowed something that you don't know about? Is anything missing, or any pieces missing from any of his toys? My Dozer has swallowed socks on 4 different occasions, and I only knew about one of them, the other 3, I didn't know he had swallowed them. He started vomiting, and then the diarrhea, we have been really lucky so far, that he has been able to pass them, by either throwing them up, or pooping them out. Since its been ongoing for 2 weeks, I would have him checked out by the vet to make sure he's okay, and he should have either an X-ray, or a barium X-ray to see if anything is lodged in his intestine. I hope it's nothing serious and Sullivan gets better soon. Please keep us posted, on how he's doing, and what the vet says. Sending love ,hugs and prayers that he's okay.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
totally agree with others.... could be an obstruction

good luck and please keep us posted

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko
Hi it sounds like an obstruction/blockage that Sully is struggling to remove from either end of his body.

also to help with the lack of interest in food .. if this is in general and not because of a blockage... it might be if its being left down all day to free feed he just picks at it rather than gets excited and wants it - he knows its there for a nibble whenever so doesnt bother to hurry with it and doesnt show a great interest. We went through this with Meeko he would just keep going back and forth picking small bits through the day so changed to schedule feeding. I put the bowl down in the morning for about 15 mins whatever isn't eaten is tough l. keep it up all day and put his food down in the evenin for 15 mins. It takes a few days where he didnt get it so didnt eat much but now he gets it he gobbles up the lot in about 5mins :) xx

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
How is Sully???

My boy, Hank (18 months old), has thrown up a dozen times in the last 24 hours. After reading on this site I gave him just a bit of rice yesterday, but he threw that up too. I let him drink, but I let him have too much and he threw all that up too. Now I've just been giving him ice cubes every so often.

After reading a lot of posts here, I'm worried he has an obstruction.... so we're off to the vet soon. We live in eastern NC which has been pretty much shut down due to snow the last two days and it's Friday.... so I'm worried about getting him in!

Thanks for this site, it's been a great resource...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'm praying for both of you
[MENTION=10961]MrMrsDevilDoc[/MENTION] it sure does sound like an obstruction, poor baby! Please let us know how it goes at the vet.

Sullivan could have an obstruction, but I would get him in for some blood test to see what else could be going on.

#obstruction #throwingup #barfing
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How is Sully???

My boy, Hank (18 months old), has thrown up a dozen times in the last 24 hours. After reading on this site I gave him just a bit of rice yesterday, but he threw that up too. I let him drink, but I let him have too much and he threw all that up too. Now I've just been giving him ice cubes every so often.

After reading a lot of posts here, I'm worried he has an obstruction.... so we're off to the vet soon. We live in eastern NC which has been pretty much shut down due to snow the last two days and it's Friday.... so I'm worried about getting him in!

Thanks for this site, it's been a great resource...

OH MY!!! Please keep us posted.... hope he is OK!!!

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Thanks for the prayers guys... I really appreciate it.

Well, I got Hank into the vet and she felt his abdominal area and couldn't feel anything. She said he was dehydrated, so he received subcutaneous fluids, some penicillin (or something like it), and an anti-vomiting shot. She also prescribed him Metronidazole. She seemed to thing it is a stomach bug and not an obstruction. So.... he is to have no food and only some no sodium, low fat chicken broth later today. If he holds that down, then she said to give him a small amount of white rice, but not till tomorrow.
So.... we shall see.

He was so good at the vet too... it's so sad when they aren't feeling well. He looks so pathetic and sad. :(
My poor baby boy!

(ps- sorry i've hijacked Sully's thread!:ashamed:)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If he does not hold it down,better call back. Can't ALWAYS feel obstruction.

MeekosMummy

Oct 9, 2012
Wales
Country
Wales
Bulldog(s) Names
Meeko

Well, I got Hank into the vet and she felt his abdominal area and couldn't feel anything. She said he was dehydrated, so he received subcutaneous fluids, some penicillin (or something like it), and an anti-vomiting shot. She also prescribed him Metronidazole. She seemed to thing it is a stomach bug and not an obstruction. So.... he is to have no food and only some no sodium, low fat chicken broth later today. If he holds that down, then she said to give him a small amount of white rice, but not till tomorrow.
So.... we shall see.

He was so good at the vet too... it's so sad when they aren't feeling well. He looks so pathetic and sad. :(
My poor baby boy!

Soo glad it wasnt an obstruction. Please keep us posted with updayes (and pics ;) ) on how Hank is doing xx

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

So.... we shall see.

My poor baby boy!

:whew: so glad to hear it is not an obsturction. Keep a close eye on him , give him hugs from us and let us know how he is doing

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
Well... It's been well over 12 hours and Hank hasn't thrown up again... Yay!
he hasn't had any "real" food yet though either. But he's keeping the water and broth down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.