Rinse eye with milk!?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Sooo... we have a fenced in yard so the dogs are free to go in and out as they want and Joey LOVES her soil:tongue: She's a true bulldog with tongue hanging out pretty far all the time... so of course while rolling in her precious soil she gets sand and crap on her tongue:ashamed: well, that's not really the problem... the problem is that she can't control her tongue and she keeps accidentally licking herself in the eye:unsure: which means the sand and crap goes straight into her eye:( we live faaaaaaaar from our vet so I've managed to sort her eye out so far, but a couple of weeks ago it got a bit hectic and I ran out of the eye ointment (Chloramex), which I bought at the vet.

I decided to go see what they had at the pharmacy and it turned out they sell the EXACT same eye ointment for HALF THE PRICE, bargain:w00t: the pharmacist told me to rinse the eye with milk using a syringe before putting the cream??? Haven't heard that one before... but I went for it. Her eye cleared up really fast and was back to normal in 2 days time:)

Today Lucky was scratching his eye so I did the milk procedure again and I'm hoping it will work... maybe it was just a coincident it worked on Joey? Have anyone else used milk to rinse with?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Petra, no I have never heard of using milk to rinse the eye, but there are lots of natural treatments that work for both humans and dogs, and I'm always one for trying natural treatments, for many reasons such as since they're natural they are safe to use, there are no side effects to using them, and they are usually easy to find in the house, like milk, apple cider vinegar, baking soda, and more, plus they are very affordable. There are many medications and eye drops and creams and other over the counter products that are safe for both humans and dogs that are available at the drugstore, these products are the same or have the exact same ingredients found in products that you buy from the vet, but they are much cheaper when bought from the drugstore. Thank you for sharing the information regarding using milk as an eye rinse. It is great information to know.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
WOW… I've never heard of that, but is sounds pretty cool. And cheap… LOL ;)

Oh and yeah we need an updated pic of Joey, and that fabulous tongue… :p

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW… I've never heard of that, but is sounds pretty cool. And cheap… LOL ;)

Oh and yeah we need an updated pic of Joey, and that fabulous tongue… :p

This is what she does to me, lol:rolleyes: she's an expert on timing her soil rollin' with the day I'm doing doggy laundry... clean bed, dirty dog:tongue: at one stage she did this pretty much every day... Luckily now in summer she thinks it's to hot to swim in soil, so it doesn't happen as often:whew: and I can admit most of her soil area is covered in weeds, lol:ashamed:

Petra's Pic 004.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is what she does to me, lol:rolleyes: she's an expert on timing her soil rollin' with the day I'm doing doggy laundry... clean bed, dirty dog:tongue: at one stage she did this pretty much every day... Luckily now in summer she thinks it's to hot to swim in soil, so it doesn't happen as often:whew: and I can admit most of her soil area is covered in weeds, lol:ashamed:

View attachment 65372

OMG that face!!! Lily will LOVE to see this pic… :w00t:

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG that face!!! Lily will LOVE to see this pic… :w00t:

She looks sweet and innocent on the picture but you should experience her while showering her:fie: lol. She runs like a badger along the walls of the shower, knocking me over every chance she gets and she LOVES to shake her body the very moment I turn the water off, giving me NO time to cover myself or get out of there. I'm always soaking wet when I'm done with her, lol. Now in summer I bath her in a little tub outside, she likes it much better, and so do I:tongue:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
When my children were small, we had a "hometown" pharmacy. When they would get sick-but not sick enough to need Dr. I would always ask the pharmacist what to do, and he always had the cure! I sometimes felt he knew meds better than the Dr. Especially CHEAPER solutions! Joey is a cutie! . We love tongue!ha!ha!

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION], it's true:) I really like our pharmacist, he's very straight forward and doesn't try to sell you crap you don't need. I appreciate that as they usually try to load you with stuff:mellow: I guess it's cos the town we live in is small and many here have very little money:unsure:

I saw what's bothering Lucky earlier today, he's got something in his eye... looks like a piece of grass or something similar. I've tried to flush it out with the milk but I'm not sure I managed:( gonna go another round with him now before bedtime... hopefully I can get it out:)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.