General Question Using "METRONIDAZOLE"

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Many people have used Metro for treating bulldog issues. I have used it many times before and know that it works. With a pack of EBD's , living on irrigation property...they end up getting a variety of GI issues. I buy a big enough bottle so that I can keep extra on hand for when a issue pops up (or out...).

I'm about out of the prescription brand and while searching for sources to buy more I see that this medication is made and sold by Thomas Labs. Except this is listed for fish. The product is a 250mg METRONIDAZOLE tablet with no other ingredients.

Does anyone use this "generic" version?

Everything I can find shows this is the exact same product?

just doesn't require a prescription...

Good Day~

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm pretty positive you can use the fish metronidazole as it's the same exact drug, just "marketed" for fish.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't think I've ever heard of it. What type of bulldog issues is it used for?

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,

Thanks, that is what I have been reading....

:yes:

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't think I've ever heard of it. What type of bulldog issues is it used for?

Hi,

Metronidazole is used as an anti-diarrheal medication that treat inflammation of the large intestine in dogs and cats

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi,

"Metronidazole is a synthetic nitroimidazole compound used with increasing frequency in small animal practice. It is commonly prescribed in the treatment of inflammatory bowel disease, gastritis associated with helicobacter, giardiasis and empirical treatment of diarhea.

Metronidazole has also been used successfully to alter intestinal flora in dogs with hepatic encephalopathy and exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Use of this antibacterial has been advocated in the treatment of osteomyelitis and periodontal diseases."

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION], it's also a drug used widely in human beings...for intestinal infections as well as skin infections, and rosacea (in gel form it's called Metrogel)...Okay, now you have everything you need to know about metronidazole, eh?! :tongue:

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
@Blueberrys Mom, it's also a drug used widely in human beings...for intestinal infections as well as skin infections, and rosacea (in gel form it's called Metrogel)...Okay, now you have everything you need to know about metronidazole, eh?! :tongue:

I learn something new every day. In fact...we have a script for the Metrogel as well. I will just use that as well!

Great Day~

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
did we find a generic version? do they really sell fish metronidizole? i'd like to stock up, it really is a miracle drug for Lola (who's been on it twice in two years, and effective within 24 hours)

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
did we find a generic version? do they really sell fish metronidizole? i'd like to stock up, it really is a miracle drug for Lola (who's been on it twice in two years, and effective within 24 hours)

Hi, yes there are generic versions. Thomas Labs is the manufacture that sells "FISH ZOLE" and it is the 250mg tabs. A bit lower priced than other websites...

I'm buying some...
Good Day~

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting info.... thanks gang!

OP
A

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE:

So recently I bought a bottle from Thomas Labs, and it was exactly the same stuff. Then I happened to be at the vet for another issue and asked how much would it cost for the same 60 pills supply......to my surprise, it was half the cost that what I paid at Thomas Labs. Now, I had a prescription from my vet prior so I think they were amenable to giving me a "refill" without seeing that same dog again.

So check with your vet to see if they will "sell" you the Metro as needed? Some vets INSIST that the dog and the poop sample be brought in EACH time.... really?
I know what my dog poop is suppose to look like and I know when it does NOT look right. I pick it up 2-3x @ day ! I can tell... just saying....

Good Day~
:blush2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.