Best age to spay a female

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
What is the best age to spay a female Bulldog? My puppy's breeder recommended waiting until after her first heat because she said that she will "fill out" better physically. My vet doesn't recommend doing that because she said that the chances of developing breast cancer goes WAY up if they go through even one heat cycle.

My dog's overall health is far more important to me than if she "fills out" to her maximum potential.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think most vets recommend spaying before their first heat. That is when mine are usually spayed. Maude was a year old-but I was lucky, as she hadn't had her first heat yet-and I just couldn't get her done sooner I think most are done about 6/7 months-after that they are possibly going to go into a heat cycle-but each female is different, as for when they do. I, personally don't think it has anything to do with their "growing potential". That depends more on their genetics, and nutrition.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our vet has alwasy said anytime after age of 6 months

OP
pcchenard

pcchenard

Dec 31, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola McWigglebutt, Bruno (1996-2007)
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Pete, your vet recommends the same thing as my vet, she told us its best to spay before they go into their first heat, due to the increased risk of breast cancer. We had Blossom spayed before her first heat at 7 months old.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Pete, your vet recommends the same thing as my vet, she told us its best to spay before they go into their first heat, due to the increased risk of breast cancer. We had Blossom spayed before her first heat at 7 months old.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June was spayed at 6 months. She's still growing and filling out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.