Thread: Fluid collecting in abdomen

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bubba
    Likes (Received)

Default Fluid collecting in abdomen

Bubba, our precious 5 month old baby, has fluid collecting in his abdomen. He doesn't act sick, just looks like he has gained a lot of weight. He had diarrerra for about three weeks. Finally got over that. Took him to vet yesterday and they don't know what is going on. We go back to doctor on Tuesday. They said it might be heart problems. Has anyone else had problems like this. Bubba is my baby. We all love him very much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fluid collecting in abdomen

Quote Originally Posted by Epperson123 View Post
    Bubba, our precious 5 month old baby, has fluid collecting in his abdomen. He doesn't act sick, just looks like he has gained a lot of weight. He had diarrerra for about three weeks. Finally got over that. Took him to vet yesterday and they don't know what is going on. We go back to doctor on Tuesday. They said it might be heart problems. Has anyone else had problems like this. Bubba is my baby. We all love him very much. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm so very sorry to hear about your baby Bubba. I have no experience w/this, but hopefully someone on here will advice. Sending prayers to your baby, please keep us posted!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Will pray for your sweet baby, Bubba...GOD bless y'all & be
    with you thru this. Please update us on his condition.
    Sending hugs of hope & strength <3

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I'm sorry that you are going through this with Bubba, and I hope the vet finds the cause of the fluid buildup, and it is something that can be treated. I don't have any experience with this, but found some information on it for you.

by Deborah Braconnier, Demand Media

Dog Care Food Canine Ascites

Excessive panting and ascites can be a sign of congestive heart failure.

Ascites refers to the buildup of fluid in the abdomen. While this fluid buildup contributes to symptoms such as increased abdomen size, abdominal tenderness, lethargy, anorexia, vomiting and weakness, the fluid is actually a symptom of other underlying medical conditions. Before your veterinarian can reduce the ascites, he must diagnosis its cause. If you notice irregular swelling in your dog’s abdomen, seek veterinary care immediately as it can be a sign of a serious condition.

Diagnosis

To begin with, a veterinarian will examine the fluid in the abdomen for bacteria, protein and blood. Urine samples, X-rays and ultrasounds are other diagnostic options. Once the fluid has been examined, the veterinarian will look for other symptoms associated with other possible medical conditions. If the swelling is causing breathing difficulty, your veterinarian can administer diuretics to reduce the fluid buildup. However, this can lead to low levels of potassium in the blood and your dog will require monitoring.

Underlying Causes

Common causes of ascites in dogs include abdominal bleeding, abdominal cancer, a ruptured bladder, nephrotic syndrome, low protein levels in the blood, liver damage and congestive heart failure. Septic ascites is a symptom of a bacterial infection treated with antibiotics.

Nephrotic Syndrome

Ascites is the most common symptom in nephrotic syndrome. Nephrotic syndrome occurs when your dog’s kidneys improperly filter waste and release high levels of protein into the urine. This protein loss causes low blood pressure, decreased cholesterol breakdown and muscle wasting. In addition to ascites, other symptoms of nephrotic syndrome include limb and optic nerve swelling, heart rhythm disturbances, difficulty breathing and a bluish-purple skin tone. Treatment includes regular care, and hospitalization is often necessary to stabilize your dog. Low-protein, low-sodium diets are often necessary.

Right-Sided Congestive Heart Failure

Congestive heart failure refers to the hearts inability to pump blood effectively throughout the body. Right-sided congestive heart failure occurs when leaking occurs as the right ventricle pumps blood through to the lungs. This blood leaks back into the right atrium of the heart, eventually causing a backup in blood circulation. Ascites is a common symptom of right-sided congestive heart failure. Other symptoms include persistent coughing, difficulty breathing, panting, weight loss and bluish gums.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Very sorry to hear this, I've never heard of this before. Sending prayers for your sweet baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

sorry very sorry to hear your baby is sick.... I have no experience with this condition, but will send positive thoughts and LOTS of prayers to you and Bubba!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Feed Store Operator
    Bulldog(s) Names
    By many names depending on the situation?
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

Another possible condition could be stones as in bladder or kidney. While the stones don't cause the fluid to collect in the abdomen, if a stone get stuck in the urethra, he won't be able to empty his bladder. We had a male that had that issue. We noticed that he was not able to pee normally and it slowed to a drip.

Have you watch your dog pee to see if he can produce a steady stream or is it just slow drips/dribbles?

I hope he will be ok.
    I will watch for your reply.

Good Day~
    B&B~ABEBD

"Opinions are FREE, Suggestions are TRUSTED, Advice is RESPECTED" bwl @2013

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Stacy
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names