Help Needed! Hearing Loss after Prescribed Easotic for Ear Infection!!!

OP
LeaKMiller

LeaKMiller

Apr 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I just wish she would get better. I think this is harder on me than it is for my Stella!

OP
LeaKMiller

LeaKMiller

Apr 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Wanted everyone to know that it looks like my sweet Stella is regaining her hearing finally!!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wanted everyone to know that it looks like my sweet Stella is regaining her hearing finally!!!!!

FANTASTIC.... So happy for both of you!!! :clap:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad to hear this… :w00t:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So happy for YOU and your girl!! I have had deaf dogs-so things will be easier for you, now that her hearing is coming back!! :hug:

MaxRuby

Apr 19, 2014
Connecticut
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max Ruby
Hello everyone! Our Ruby was just prescribed this medication today. She had 1 dose today and is suppose to have 1 per day for the next 4 days but after reading this I'm nervous. How is your sweet baby Stella doing now?

OP
LeaKMiller

LeaKMiller

Apr 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Stella seemed to have a FULL recovery! When we noticed the hearing loss we stopped the medication immediately
But it did seem to treat her infection. Let me know how Ruby does on the medicine!

MaxRuby

Apr 19, 2014
Connecticut
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max Ruby
Thank you LeaKMiller for responding and that's wonderful news that Stella had a full recovery. Our vet is closed today and when I called a 24 hour emergency vet to ask about the medication no one would give me any answers since Ruby was not being treated by them. I'm torn as to whether or not to give her today's dose without talking to her vet. Her hearing seems fine from yesterday's dose and I want her to get better. She will be 2 years old in January and is healthy aside the bacteria infection in her ear. Last Sunday her ears were fine and on Tuesday morning I noticed something wasn't right and within a few days her ear had black gunk in it. Bacteria can get so bad so quickly that I'm thinking the pros out weigh the cons and give her the meds. I'm just such a nervous nelly sometimes! Thank you for listening to me vent too! What was Stella's dosage and how many days did she actually receive the suspension in her ear?

OP
LeaKMiller

LeaKMiller

Apr 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
I'm thinking about Ruby!!!! Stella was on 2 doses a day and I gave it to her for 3 days straight before I noticed a hearing issue. After I noticed her hearing loss I stopped the medication immediately and it took a good 2-3 weeks before her hearing came back. My biggest issue was that my vet never talked to me about the side effects or i might have used a different medication. PLEASE keep me updated

MaxRuby

Apr 19, 2014
Connecticut
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max Ruby
Lea you are truly a wonderful selfless person to take time out of your day to help me (a stranger), and Ruby too! I spoke with her foster mommy (we rescued them 3/8/14) and she made me feel comfortable about giving her today's dose, since she had given the same med to her own bully on several different occasions. Ruby was prescribed 1 dose(1ml) for 5 days total. I have "tested" her hearing several times since reading this thread! My vet never talked to me about the side effects either and administered her 1st dose in the exam room to demonstrate how I should do it at home. I will keep you updated and so far so good (fingers crossed)! God bless you and your furbaby forever on health and happiness!

minibull

Sep 4, 2014
Midwestern USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buttercup
We noticed some hearing impairment near the end of a course of once daily ketoconazole ear ointment/drops when Buttercup first joined our family. Hearing apparently returned in full within about a week. She had a terrible chronic infection with resulting very stenotic ear canals so we didn't know if that had permanently damaged her hearing or if it could be the medication so our vet suggested we monitor the problem. I also wondered if she just had a buildup of ear medication that limited her hearing as that ointment is pretty thick (I remember I couldn't hear a thing when I got water in my ear while swimming as a kid). Her ears were so stenotic the vet wasn't sure the drops would work, but they cleared up her infection well so I would use them again if she got a raging ear infection that wouldn't clear with ear flushes.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Thank God your Stella has her hearing back, I am so Happy Stella is going to be ok. Give Stella a Kiss and Hug from Elmo and Me.

MaxRuby

Apr 19, 2014
Connecticut
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max Ruby
Hi everyone! A full week has passed since Ruby received her first dose of Easotic (12/13/2014) and her last application was on Wednesday, her infection is completely gone and her hearing never changed (thankfully). Thank you Lea and all who had a Ruby in their thoughts. Having 20 years of bulldog knowledge I still become a nervous Nelly! Happy Holidays and God Bless All!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.