General Question What is right to do?

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
Hello all. As you all may know from my previous posts my little girl tink has had demodectic mange. Well we have been doing other stuff instead of dips cause she's so young (about to be 6 months). Well we just had to take her to the vet once again cause she got a bacterial infection in her poor little ears. More antibiotics for that and ears drops. All is good with thay now. She has almost all of her hair back and she's not digging but he said in a couple weeks he wants to do the dips so she don't get back to being half bald. Now my question is I have seen a lot of people use ivermectin and was wondering if we should go that route or dips? ? I would appreciate any info or help in this matter. I'm scared to do dips as they are so harsh.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Do you give her a supplement. Her being so young, and having demo problems may be because she has a weak immune system. I give my dogs a supplement. Perhaps she needs something similar? Yes, Ivermectin is also used for mange.

OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
She gets her yogurt everyday and apple cider vinegar in her water. Plus she gets a fish oil pill and I did switch her to fromm pork and peas as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would go with the ivermectin as well, there are a few members here that had to use it and I do not remember any issue being brought up.

the supplement is a go idea to get he immune system back up to speed and the Pork and Peas is a great food so stick with it till after she is past this hurdle.

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello,

Demodex can be cured and the results are such that you will never know your dog had any issues!

Use the meds of various types are necessary, but I also recommend a product called Nu-STOCK. It smells aweful...but I swear by it for any and all hair and skin problems. This stuff has been around longer than most vets and medicines. It is one of those old school products that still works great.

I keep a tube on hand and I strongly recommend it.

Good Day~

This is what it has:
Component - %Composition
Sulfur - 73
Mineral Oil - 25
Pine Oil - 2

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
I have used Nu Sock for many many years! When I started using it, it came in GLASS jars. I have used it on horses, dogs, goats, all the animals I have ever had! Once my husband had a knot on the heel of his foot. He had gone to 3 different Dr.s-the orthopedic xrayed and said it was a bone spur. He had to wear backless shoes, as it hurt so much. I insisted on putting Nu Sock on it and rubbing it in.He finally gave in and let me. I did it on the first day, and the third day. The fourth day-the knot was gone, and never came back! It is great stuff for many problems. They only thing is now it comes in plastic tubes, and after awhile(a pretty good while) it dries up because the oils seep out. Good post @ABEBD ! I must state that it is sold for animals. But that does'nt stop me!:no:

Last edited:
OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
I am thinking about ordering some nu stock to see how that helps. She's not itching and she still has her hair so I know it's not bad but he said he wanted to do the dips before she gets bad again. I just don't like the side effects of the dips and I don't want to do anything to harm her. Just don't know what is right to do.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would say since the hair is growing back, the mange is under control, and I would not do the dips.

OP
jsgirl

jsgirl

Dec 5, 2013
zanesville ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tink
She has almost all of her hair back i think she has 3 half bald spots. But her skin feels really rough. No sores just dry and a few little bumps.

MrMrsDevilDoc

Jan 30, 2014
Southern AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ally, Hank, Charlotte
My baby girl, Ally, successfully took ivermectin at 7 months old to get rid of demodectic mange. She is now 5 1/2 and has no re-occurrences. I do supplement with fish oil now too.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Whether or not you use the Nu Stock for the mange-it is not expensive, and it is very handy to have on hand for cuts, sores, and various other things.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.